Are you looking to fail?

OldMedic
on 5/26/11 2:37 am - Alvaton, KY
I see so many posts here (and I receive a lot of private messages) along the lines of:  1) Have I stretched out my sleeve?   2) Am I a failure because i have stalled?  3) Am I doing this all wrong because???

I can only believe that their surgeons office has failed to educate them, has offered them either no preparation or very poor preparation and is not providing any decent follow-up.  They simply don't have a clue as to what is going on, and they constantly worry about "screwing things up".

We have this surgery because we are WAAAY too fat.  We aren't "pudgy" or "full-figured", we are obese.  We know we are, and we need help in peeling off those excess pounds.  For our own reasons, we chose to have the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy "the sleeve.

Let's look at the common questions:

1).  Am I stretching my sleeve?

The sleeve is made up of the least stretchable part of the stomach.  Can it stretch?  Yes it can.  Is it likely to stretch significantly?  No, it is not.  You would have to overeat, to the point of vomiting, on a regular basis to significantly stretch out your stomach.  Nobody but a very sick person would do that to themselves.

The sleeve WILL stretch out a little, but not very much.  I am over 2.5 years post-op, and I can still not eat more than a cup of food without feeling nausea and very uncomfortable.  But, you will notice, especially over the first few months, that you can eat more on some days, less on others, and if you are a worrier (or not properly prepared by your surgeon) this may cause you to wonder.

2)  I am stalling at 1 week, 2 weeks, etc.  Am I a failure?

Stalls happen to EVERYONE.  For whatever reason, women tend to have a LOT more stalls than men do.  Men lose more rapidly than women do, this is true in every weight loss program in the country.  Lots of women get discouraged because of this, but remember, the same hormones that slow down your weight loss, also cause you to live a lot longer than men do.

You will stall at various point.  Periods tend to make some women stall, and so does emotional upset.  Both of those cause hormone shifts, and those affect weight loss.

EXPECT TO STALL.  Don't get in a dither about it, it WILL happen.  Just stick on program.  Don't go ballistic and do drastic things, just STAY ON PROGRAM.  If a stall lasts longer than a couple of weeks, you can always try going back to 3 protein shakes a day, for 5-7 days.  That will almost always kick start weight loss again.

3)  Am I doing this wrong?

A lot of people have failed at weight loss many times over.  They have gotten weight off, only to regain it (and more), so they tend to worry that somehow, in some way, they WILL screw this up.

During weight loss, you should be eating approximately 75% protein and 25% carbs and fat.  The ratio will vary somewhat from one program to another, but that is the most common range.  So, does this mean that if one day you eat 50% protein and 50% carbs you have ruined yourself?  NO, NO, NO.

Cheating happens.  Virtually everyone (even me) cheats.  I ate a chocolate covered cherry, a partial doughnut, a candy bar and heaven only knows what else, from time to time, while losing weight.

The key to it is:  Don't get all upset about making a mistake.  Just stop it, and get back on program.  It is no big deal.  It isn't like you took a gun and shot someone.  If you keep your cheats to a minimum, and you don't repeat them frequently, it won't really matter.

That's the beauty of the sleeve.  It PERMANENTLY limits your capacity, and even if you go out and REALLY tie one on food wise, you won't mess yourself up permanently.

Booze, in any form, can cause problems.  It tends to stimulate the appetite (and we don't need a lot of help in that); it is empty calories (and rather high in calories), it is all too often mixed with high sugar liquids and it affects our judgement.  Plus, a lot of us find that very little booze causes one heck of an effect on us (I know people that could knock back 3-4 drinks that get buzzed on 1 after a sleeve).

The one practice to completely avoid is "grazing.  Grazing is eating, not just at meals, but frequently just grabbing something and eating it.  Munching a few chips here, a half-sandwich there, a candy bar, some meat, a piece of pie, or even high protein foods throughout the day. 

You CAN graze fairly early on, and as time goes by it is easier and easier to do that.  if you do develop that habit, then it is almost guaranteed that you WILL fail at this.

Stick to regular meals, and perhaps an evening snack. 

NO EATING BETWEEN MEALS.  THAT IS THE ONE HABIT THAT WILL ALMOST GUARANTEE FAILURE.

Other than that, relax.  This is as close to a screw-up proof method of losing weight as you can get.  Just stick as closely as you can to the basics, don't worry all the time, and you WILL peel off that weight.

Remember, if an lazy old guy like me could do it, YOU sure as heck can.

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

Sandy S.
on 5/26/11 2:49 am
thanks so much your post is so encouraging.  I am about 2 weeks from surgery and  a little nervous still.

"Step by step the longest march can be won,"  Sweet Honey and the Rock- Peace, San  HW 463 Surgery: 6/13/11; SW 413      
charmaine A.
on 5/26/11 2:50 am - MI
well said

Best of Luck, Charmaine

lucy2e
on 5/26/11 2:55 am - Laurel, MD
Thanks for this great post!  (I'm bookmarking it for when I need the reminders a I go along this journey!)

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Treetracer
on 5/26/11 3:07 am
Quoted for truth; should be a sticky on this forum!

Jenijeni
on 5/26/11 3:11 am
Sh*t, does that mean my "stall dance" and chanting aren't going to work? Bummer!

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

(deactivated member)
on 5/26/11 3:30 am
Nah, it'll work because all that boogie-ing burns calories!  
KathyA999
on 5/26/11 3:15 am
What a fantastic post!  Should be handed out to newbies in the surgeon's office, with instructions to tape on the bathroom mirror and read every morning.

Thanks Old Medic!

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

_aprilh_
on 5/26/11 3:17 am - OK
Thanks! I needed that.
"I can do all things through Christ who strenthens me!"
 April ~ 39y/o, 6'0", HW 292, SW 268.4, CW 188, BMI 26.7

sonyagettinghealthy
on 5/26/11 3:26 am - CA
Appreciate the words of wisdom. Answers to many questions I've already had or probably would have had in the future.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 79 views