Stupid But Important Question

MrsHelm1012
on 6/3/11 11:33 am - Washingtonville, PA
Ok, so I feel stupid asking this question, but anyway... How do you measure your food? My liquids I measure by volume. Is that how I measure solid foods? Or am I suppose to measure them by weight?

katier825
on 6/3/11 11:41 am
Some people weigh their solid food (including me), others measure wth measuring cups.  I think weighing is more accurate.  Some people eyeball it.  I can't do that...that's probably a big contributor to my weight problems in the first place.

I was given a nice digital scale by the nutritionist as part of my program.  I use it all the time.  I prep my lunches the night before.  I also make up meals  ahead of time and freeze them.  It's not such a hassle if I work in assembly line fashion. :)
sleeve genie
on 6/3/11 11:41 am - Alhambra, CA
Since our tummy's don't have a scale in them,  most believe you should measure in a measuring cup.  the tummy holds so much by volume not weight.  some people like to weigh their food for tracking purposes but the tummy size is by volume so many ounces or cups :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

vjb1952
on 6/3/11 11:45 am - Littlerock, CA
VSG on 03/28/11 with
No stupid questions, so no worries...I measure solid food by ounces or grams, depending on the food...like peanut butter label says a serving is XX grams, so I decide how many calories of peanut butter I want to eat, and measure out 1/4 or 1/2 or the full amount.  I do that with meat & cheese by ounces, but mayo, dressing or veggie dip by grams...I have one of those digital food scales to help out with that.  Take care,  Viv 

vjb1952

babzmcgee
on 6/3/11 11:54 am
 My surgeon requires his patients do a test meal before every 3 month visits. We cook meat, weight out 6 ounces, eat until we are satisfied, then measure what we didn't eat. This lets him know how much our tummy can hold in solid protein, So if you can eat 3 ounces, You should eat 2 ounces protein and .5 ounces veggies and .5 carbs.

So we learned early on that a scale was a tool we needed for this journey. That being said, I only use the scale for test meals. I can eyeball what I eat and I'm pretty accurate. 

Everyone's program is diiferent, so do what your program requires and what works best for you.
OH Support Group Leader

Crimson
on 6/3/11 12:21 pm - MD
I weigh out solids by how many calories i want to eat and how many ounces i can tolerate.

other foods i measure out by volume with measuring cups or the measuring spoons (more of the soft/mushy foods)

all depends for me really. it's easier to put whatever the nutrition label goes by and go from there.
Dandy_DeeDee
on 6/3/11 1:02 pm
I usually weigh my food mostly to know exactly how many calories and protein are in the serving I just weighed.  However, that does not mean I will eat everything that I weighed out.  For example, I often will weigh 140 g of boneless, skinless turkey breast and then split it into two plates and make two smaller meals out of it, keeping half in the fridge for later.  By doing this I know that I have eaten 110 calories and 21 g of protein once I have eaten everything that I weighed out. 

Highest Registered Weight 369 lbs (but I weighed more, just didn't have a scale! *Giggles*)
Surgery 12/23/10 - 313 lbs Then had a 6 lb gain from having surgery! So I went up to 319
Current Registered Weight 208 lbs   “Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” ~ Kahlil Gibran          

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 97 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 323 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 367 views