Going to go on vacation at almost 4 weeks out...is it ok?

Caligirlgina
on 6/4/11 11:49 pm - CA
We are going to be going to our house in NY for a month. We live in California and I just realized I am only going to be a month out of surgery...(2 days shy of 4 weeks). I should be feeling okay by then right?  I am making all these plans and then it hit me this trip is going to be different since I am coming out of a major surgery. I figure my energy level is still going to be low. I just need to get a idea of how most people feel at 4 weeks out since I know everyone is different.
Thanks
Gina
  1Mo(July 17, 2011) 265.1 (-28.7) Whoo hooo2Mo (Aug 17, 2011) 258.7 (-6.4) 3mo-253.5(-5.2) Finally broke a 5 week stall

wls2011
on 6/5/11 12:44 am - Ballston Lake, NY
From reading most answers regarding this on past threads.....consensus is... you should be fine...

I know I feel great and could travel at this point...I'll be 4 weeks post op this Thursday.  I'm traveling to Cancun in less than 2 weeks. My recovery went very smoothly and no complications. Plus I haven't had any issues getting liquids or foods down and nothing has come back up...if I was, I might be more nervous about traveling.

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

PBJ
on 6/5/11 1:08 am
Gina,

You will be fine.  I too went on vacation at about the same time as you did but to a family camp where they did the food for you.  I brought my own food (mostly soup) and had alittle bit of there.  I was totally fine.  I also went to Mexico at 3 mo out and did great with that too.  You will be surprised how good you feel.  And if you are in your vacation house..youcan do your own food right?...and that will make things easier too.  Good luck to you. YOu are giving yourself such a great tool!

Patty
My weight loss journey                                                    
buxom_blossom
on 6/5/11 1:26 am
VSG on 04/12/11 with
You'll be fine but don't push yourself too hard. I had to travel alone on a business trip just shy of 4 weeks out and for the most part was good. Although I found I got tired more easily and had to rest in the evenings. I also found that I couldn't walk as far as I normally do before getting exhausted.

As long as you listen to your body's needs and have someone to help lift the heavy luggage you'll be able to enjoy your vacation.

To be honest it took my longer to recover from surgery than I expected. I'm young, healthy and have a relatively low BMI so I thought I'd bounce back to normal health by week 2 but it took me a good 5 weeks to feel healed and like myself again. Remember it is major surgery.
I'm 5'10"  -   HW 264 lbs  -  lost 9lbs pre-op diet -  SW 255 lbs  

wannabehealthy1
on 6/5/11 1:42 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
You will be fine. I went back to work at 3wks out and went on a cruise at 5 weeks out! I think I was on soft foods at 5 wks, so I ate lots of soups, scrambled eggs, chicken salad, egg salad, tuna. I brought my own protein powder too. You are gonna feel great at 4 wks out!
Take Care

**Kathy**  Lap Band 2002~ 3 more surgeries r/t lap band complications
2009-Lap Band removal and unsuccessful revision to RNY

10/15/2010- SLEEVED FINALLY!! Hw=235, SW=222, CW=157, GW=145

snowbaby
on 6/5/11 1:57 am - Durango, CO
Hi Gina,

You should be fine! I went on a 2 week road trip at about 3 weeks out and was fine. At one point I was feeling a little run down - did a quick consult with my surgeon and he recommended getting some G2, Powerade Zero or Smar****er and making sure I was getting at least 64 oz in. I picked up some Smar****er, started drinking lots of it and sure enough my energy came back. I am just two days away from my 1 year out mark and still have trouble when I travel because I am out of my element, get off schedule and forget to drink water. Plus if I fly its very dehydrating and that leaves me exhausted - so now I try to really pump the fluids in hoping to avoid that issue. So my best advice to you is just keep lots of protein with you and get your fluids in.
      Sue 

Bichon Mom2 Oval Sticker

JustLora
on 6/5/11 2:28 am - Omaha, NE
Had surgery on December 22 and went to Cancun on January 20th. Had no problems. Just make sure to keep drinking liquids (water) to prevent dehydration.

Good Luck and Have fun!
Lora

SW 235/GW 150/CW 140   I'm 5'6" 

pcannedy
on 6/5/11 3:15 am - Sacramento, CA
I think you will be fine as long as you drink enough.  Are you flying or driving?  I drove to Texas and took an ice chest which helped.  I took greek yogurt, cottage cheese in individual cups, sf applesauce cups, vitamin water zero, water, and snapple. 

Good luck.

rdd9348
on 6/5/11 3:39 am - OR
NO!  It is not OK!  You must change your plans!   Send me the key to the house in NY and the money for the airline tickets!  I will take the trip for you and let you know how it all worked out.

Just a thought !

Highest-285, Start WLS Program-267, Surgery-245, Current-196, Goal-148 
                                   Short Term Goal - Under 185 by 10/15/11           
Caligirlgina
on 6/5/11 5:01 am - CA
Thanks everyone for the advice. We will be flying and for the first time we will actually be doing a layover because ticket prices are outrageous. We normall pay no more then $ 225 but tickets are $592/ea. I luckily found a super deal to fly into NJ instead of JFK for $ 280! We were not going to go but could not pass this up when I found it.
I am going to stock up when we get to our house. I think I will do a trip to Costco when I get there for some Premier protein and some water.
I am getting excited about going now. I started to freak out when I first realized I was only going to be 4 weeks out. I am hoping I have lost at least 20 pounds the first month! I don't want to have to use a stupid extension belt.
Gina
  1Mo(July 17, 2011) 265.1 (-28.7) Whoo hooo2Mo (Aug 17, 2011) 258.7 (-6.4) 3mo-253.5(-5.2) Finally broke a 5 week stall

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 400 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 427 views