POPCORN

tmctnrice
on 6/9/11 6:57 am - Newport News, VA
Just wondering how soon anyone of you were allowed popcorn?  I have a friend that had VSG about 2 years ago she said her DR allowed her to eat popcorn at 1 week post-op (I am 1 week out from vsg surg) It seems to me popcorn may be too harsh for a new pouch. I have some popcorn with no salt or butter and was wondering how soon I could eat a few pieces. my kids have been eating it and just the smell is like torture to me because I LOVE popcorn.

Also I ordered some Unjury unflavored protein, and it came in the mail today and, I would love some suggestion on what to mix it with this soon from VSG

Thanks
Sandy S.
on 6/9/11 7:15 am
My nut said no to popcorn because it will get stuck and is hard to move out when it does; she really stressed no popcorn or gum.  i tried the unflavored with OJ last night and I could not taste it at all- just OJ. That may not be an option for you right out of surgery with your new tender pouch.  But I'd like to share a mistake I make with Unjury, so you won't make it.  They really mean it when they say don't mix it with anything over 130 degrees.  I forgot and put it in hot broth and made a mess. I have not tried it with Crystal lite but that would be my suggestion.  Best of luck. How was your first week as a sleever?  Monday is my day.  I am kinda nervous about it all.  Any words of wisdom?

"Step by step the longest march can be won,"  Sweet Honey and the Rock- Peace, San  HW 463 Surgery: 6/13/11; SW 413      
Dawnie 88
on 6/9/11 7:25 am
I would NOT eat popcorn at 1 wk post-op.  Weren't you given specific instructions on food that is ok to eat postop?  I had detailed instructions to follow up to 6 wks postop..and then popcorn still was not ok at that time.

Jenijeni
on 6/9/11 7:55 am
We were told no popcorn until pouch is completely healed... Doc cleared me for popcorn at 3 month visit... But BEWARE... Popcorn has carbs and it's very easy to eat a lot of popcorn. I have to be really aware of how much I'm eating and limit myself.

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

Disappearing Me
on 6/9/11 8:34 am - Murphysboro, IL
I ate popcorn at 3 months out.  I've mixed my Unjury Unflavored in lots of stuff - beef broth, yogurt, oatmeal, coffee, Starbuchs Light Mocha Frappuccino (yummy!). 
Michelle F.
on 6/9/11 8:35 am, edited 6/8/11 8:36 pm
I tried popcorn at 3 months out and up it came! Too harsh on my still healing esophagus (I'm a band to sleeve revision). I'm guessing most people have no problems with it after 3-6 months, but I'm planning on avoiding it!
Band to Sleeve Revision 3/1/11

MediumSoon
on 6/9/11 11:06 am - TX
It is WAY WAY WAY too early for popcorn!! Ask your surgeon - popcorn is one of those things that could get stuck in your staple line and cause problems.

tmctnrice
on 6/9/11 11:42 am - Newport News, VA
Thanks to you all for your information. I think I will definately stay away from popcorn for a while. If my kids want to eat it I will go to my room and shut the door for about 10 or 15 minutes, or just grab some pudding. Thank You All Very Much!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 280 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 333 views