Stupid people saying STUPIDER things!

Linda B.
on 6/16/11 8:04 am - CA
1st off, let me start by saying, I have had the most postive response from MOST all the people I have chosen to share my surgery with. My feelings are, (esp if someone is overweight and asking me how I lost weight) that, in order to be responsible and help someone, I will be open about it.
That being said I need to vent!!
I am a nurse. We see the worst of EVERYTHING...esp surgeries that are ****** UP. I work in Home Health & Hospice. Today a nurse I know slightly, who IS overweight, said I looked wonderful and how did I do it. I started to tell her about the surgery and she was very responsive. Out of the blue some skinny old hag stuck her nose in our A & B conversation and asked me to repeat what I said...I told her and her response was "Oh, I feel so sorry for you"  & proceeded to start to walk away. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh hell no you don't. You don't judge me and then expect me to let that go.......I went verbal Rambo on her ass. I asked her 1st why she would feel sorry for me? She says "Oh I don't wanna get on my soap box" FUCK YOU! Cuz now I am getting on MINE! I told her NOT to feel sorry for me and that this was the best thing I ever did for myself in my life! I asked her who she thought she was to judge me that way and for being a nurse, if she takes that judegment to her patients, I FEEL SORRY FOR THEM!
Needless to say, she backed down cuz she knew her ass was in DEEP **** The 1st girl I was talking to was trying to redirect me away from her so we could talk. She immediately talks about a pt she has that had "a surgery" (her pt and she doesn't even KNOW the kind of surgery she had...huh?) and that she has to have hydration at home and she vomits everything...blah blah blah. I said..."we are nurses...we see the worst of the worst". If someone has a successful surgery, why would you have the need to know about it? She then started asking questions about the surgery. I told her to do some research because I had no complications and know MANY more who also are doing well. I explained how I can exercise 6 days a week now and my knees no longer swell up to set me back to gain the weight back. She was apologetic in tone when I was done with her, but she never did apologize for her judgemental ways. 
I am glad I am not 1 of her patients. I wonder how she treats the one she is taking care of now. Probably thinks it's her fault she has the problems she does.....grrrrrrrrr I need to stop cuz I am getting angry all over again.
Thanks for listening. The 1st thing I thought of was bringing it here, because I am sure we all can tell a story or 2 similar. I feel better for venting.
Damn asshole.
....well almost better.

Awesome workout: www.ujamfitness.com 

HW=249#  SW= 236#  CW 179#  TOTAL=71 lost BMI= 30.6
Lose weight with me at LIVESTRONG.COM

sublimate
on 6/16/11 8:12 am - San Jose, CA
Linda, I just love you. Good for you Rambolina! Give her what for! This is a huge reason why I don't tell people about my surgery. It's not so much for fear of judgment, but fear I will go off on people who are ignorant and end up being angry all the time at stupid folks. I'd rather keep silent then get angry.

I know there is a lot of ignorance about obesity and WLS and I just don't have it in me to be the one to educate people or deal with judgmental ignorance, because I'd totally go Rambolina on them too. You were NICE compared to what I would have said to her.

Hugs.. and you are my hero!

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

58annie52
on 6/16/11 8:39 am
VSG on 07/13/10 with
Linda~ You are my hero! What a witch!
 HW: AROUND 240
WEIGHT DAY OF CONSULT: 222
WEIGHT DAY OF SURGERY:196
FIRST GOAL:140REACHED!!
SECOND GOAL: 130
THIRD GOAL: MAINTAIN

Ashley S.
on 6/16/11 8:53 am
VSG on 05/04/10 with
I so cannot stand people like that.  They know absolutely nothing about WLS and they base their opinions on what they hear.  They always know someone who knows someone who had it and they gained the weight back or had all these complications, blah blah blah.  They act like they know it all when in reality they know abso-******g-lutely nothing!

That lady is a *****  I'm so sorry to hear she treat3d you like that, but so glad you put her in her place :D
-Ash

Heaviest Weight: 365, Surgery Weight: 327, Current Weight:  146.9
Twitter:   http://twitter.com/#!/AshLYMMJ

jennkitt
on 6/16/11 8:56 am - MI
"I'm surrounded by stupid people"

I'm a nurse too, I can tell you from my experience, this profession has a higher than average amount of ignoranus' who are intolerant of differences, and are STUBBORN!  Ok, I fit the stubborn part, but come on....sometimes I feel like I am surrounded by morons.

Way to stick up for yourself!  I have told one nurse friend, who was nice and said "it sounds like you are sure of your decision, so I won't tell you the horror stories I know...." now that is friendship

Jenn
HW: 305, Consult: 285, Day of surg:261

Chimere
on 6/16/11 9:24 am
Yep Yep I can relate thats exactly why Im not telling my customers and some of them i have done for over 20 yrs.  I dont wanna hear all the neigh saying and well you know so an so had it done and they were in such bad shape and blah blah blah .  Im gonna make up some illness hahahahahahhahaha
PBJ
on 6/16/11 10:33 am
You go girl!  Some people are such idiots!!

Patty
My weight loss journey                                                    
Crunchy As Can Be
on 6/16/11 11:13 am - NY
I went to the gym today and ran into a nurse practitioner I work work in the locker room after my workout. I was standing there naked after having showered and she was getting changed and she asked if I was off from work today. I told her that no, I'd been out for over a month and was just getting back to the gym after having surgery. She seemed concerned so I told her what procedure I'd had done and she said "Oh, so you took the easy way out."

I just stood there flabergasted. I think if I hadn't been naked and soaking wet I would have attempted something more than, "no, it's actually a lot of hard work!"

Sheesh.
 ~~Emily~~

Linda B.
on 6/16/11 11:36 am - CA
OMG!!!!!! I am embarrassed for my profession sometime.
This makes me crazy.

Awesome workout: www.ujamfitness.com 

HW=249#  SW= 236#  CW 179#  TOTAL=71 lost BMI= 30.6
Lose weight with me at LIVESTRONG.COM

Crunchy As Can Be
on 6/16/11 1:16 pm - NY
On June 16, 2011 at 6:36 PM Pacific Time, Linda B. wrote:
OMG!!!!!! I am embarrassed for my profession sometime.
This makes me crazy.

My profession too, Linda. It made me cringe. I'd hope that she was embarrassed, but I know that she wasn't.

Sigh.
 ~~Emily~~

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 71 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 264 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views