alcohol

marytx3
on 6/29/11 11:04 am
Anyone have wine post surgery and if so, at what point did you?
TennDee
on 6/29/11 11:12 am
29 days out, and actually I just had a sip.  It turned my stomach sour and I popped a antacid!!  My tummy is not ready yet!

cabcab
on 6/29/11 11:15 am
VSG on 01/06/11 with
I've had alcohol off and on since about 2 months after my surgery.  I don't have my Crown and Coke (or Pepsi) anymore because I don't do carbs - as in carbonated drinks.  I haven't had any problem with drinking so far.  Sometimes I think it works faster and that the effects go away faster, but that's not always true.
    HW: 335.  SW: 318.  CW: 161.0.  Height 5'8.  Age 43.

MediumSoon
on 6/29/11 11:31 am - TX
Yes, I have. Probably had a drink at about 6 wks post-op. I would be SURE SURE SURE not to drive though - you really do NOT know how it affects you right away.

marytx3
on 6/29/11 11:36 am
Well, I had some wine on vacation b/t 3-4 weeks out...felt fine at the time, but have paid for it the last 2 days...hope i haven't messed anything up with the sleeve?!
MediumSoon
on 6/29/11 11:54 am - TX
 Your tummy's probably not ready for it yet.  Wait a couple of weeks and try again if you want to.

Carmelita
on 6/29/11 11:53 am, edited 6/28/11 11:59 pm - Four Corners, NM
MY surgeon said 2 ozs. at 2 months post op... me a ~12 oz. (couplea glasses) of vino at 3 months!

What does your surgeon say?

ETA...its important ya talk with your surgeon.
Ya haven't screwed up yer sleeve...just yer weight loss...a bit...came screechin to a halt is all!

Occasionally, in moderation! yer fine!

Here's what Grandpa says...
To make matters worse, it is the first fuel to be used when combined with carbohydrates, fats and proteins, postponing the fat-burning process and contributing to greater fat storage. Here is what diet guru Robert C Atkins says regarding alcohols affect on fat storage:

“Here’s the problem with all alcoholic beverages, and the reason I recommend refraining from alcohol consumption on the diet. Alcohol, whenever taken in, is the first fuel to burn. While that’s going on, your body will not burn fat. This does not stop the weight loss, it simply postpones it, since the alcohol does not store as glycogen, and you immediately go back into ketosis/lipolysis after the alcohol is used up.

If you must drink alcohol, wine is an acceptable addition to levels beyond the Induction diet. If wine does not suit your taste, straight liquor such as scotch, rye, vodka, and gin would be appropriate, as long as the mixer is sugarless; this means no juice, tonic water; or non-diet soda. Seltzer and diet soda are appropriate."

Although Mr. Atkins suggestions are valid ones, especially as he is advocating the elimination of additional sugars along with the higher calorie beers, any form of alcohol can pose problems for those wanting to shed unwanted fat to look their best.

HAPPY TRAILS.........hiccup~
califsleevin
on 6/29/11 11:59 am - CA
Of course, the general advice from most of the docs is none for the year or so that you are losing weight. In part this is just the simple avoidance of empty calories that go against your weight loss - it's no different than having a candy bar from that perspective. The other concern is that your liver, which is often not in the best of shape from us just being obese, is overtaxed in helping to metabolize all this fat that we are losing, so the alcohol increases that stress even more. Granted, my doc's alter ego is that of a liver doc, so he tends to be a bit anal about such things, but there is good reason for it, too.

As others have mentioned, you may not respond as well to it as you used to, and your tolerance will likely be different, so be careful in any experiments.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Jasonm11
on 6/29/11 12:05 pm
I broke rules and had 5 glasses of wine and 4 glasses of blackberry sangria for my wife and my anniversary....Carabbas private dining event....drank while eating(although didn't eat more than 3 bites of each course spaced about 30 minutes apart)...did horrible yada yada...anniversary so didn't care...

worked great....got horribly drunk but I don't drink much anyways so that could have been why...didn't hurt....would be able to do it again but wouldn't as it must have been 2000 calories from all that mess...wasn't even hungover the next day which suprised me....

HW(2-19-11) - 375    SW(3-9-11) - 362.5    CW - 204    GW - 220
Reached 100 pounds lost from highest weight at 3.5 months post-op!!!
Reached 100 pounds lost since surgery weight at 4.75 months post-op!!!
wannabeprettyinpink
on 6/29/11 12:15 pm - MN
I tried at about 2 1/2 months out when we went on vacation to Las Vegas. Problem for me was the tastes I loved before - Merlot - and White Russians taste too sour and too sweet. I had a sip of my hubby's beer- but the icky feeling from the carbonation wasn't worth it.   Only thing I found I can tolerate the taste of - is a plain margarita on the rocks and bloody mary's -  slightly spicy.  I may try another kind of wine at a wedding in a few weeks. 
During our orientation sessions the Dr's and nurses all preach no alcohol ever again.  Now for some people that may not be an issue, but to me it's not realistic.  Moderation is the key and realizing all those excess calories your taking in will have an affect.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 100 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 324 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views