Tummy Sleepers Unite!

sleevegirl
on 7/2/11 7:27 am - Austin, TX
I'm a tummy sleeper. I can NOT sleep on my back, no matter how hard I try. I can sleep on my side, but I don't get a really good night's rest. I haven't slept on my tummy since surgery (6/21) because my tummy muscles are still sore.

I'm hoping soon, right? *blear*

Stupid, but I also have this weird fear that I'll hurt my new tummy by laying on it. LOL. But at this point, once those muscles aren't sore, I'm so over this side sleeping thing. I need some rest! Since I almost always turn over if I fall asleep in another position, I'm guessing that when it won't hurt too much, I'll just do it in my sleep, but sheesh!

So, tummy sleepers that had sore abs... how long were you not able to sleep on your stomach? I know, it's different for everyone, but someone please say soon! LOL

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

acbbrown
on 7/2/11 7:36 am - Granada Hills, CA
If I had even considered this problem before surgery, I may have opted out (lol kind of joking...a little)

After 5 SLEEPLESS (and i mean 0 freaking hours of sleep) I finally fell asleep on my side. I propped a pillow under my stomach so the weight wasn't pulling it down, and I managed that about 2-3 hours a night.

I slept on my stomach about 2 weeks out. Wasn't comfortable but it worked. Now at 3 weeks out, I'm good. I can sleep comfortably (now if I had a magic cure for insomnia I'd be good - i'm going on 3 weeks of crappy sleep patterns)

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

sleevegirl
on 7/2/11 10:17 am - Austin, TX
LOL! I have a pillow under my belly (well, I did, I don't need it as of last night, but still too tender to tummy sleep) AND one wedged kind of behind me so I don't lean over too much on my back and pull my tummy. My husband thinks I'm insane. (Shhh... don't tell him!)

Oh man. I think I was only sleeping because of the drugs at a certain point though, so I feel ya. You sound like me. I have a really tough time sleeping if I'm not laying exactly how I like it. But when I'm all comfy, I can sleep a good solid eight hours.

Ahhh... nowadays I'm still getting 5-6 and a nap or two. 

One day soon, eh? *dreams*

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

(deactivated member)
on 7/2/11 7:38 am - CA

I don't remembrer how long it took me to get back to my belly sleeping, a couple of weeks? The first few nights were *horrible* since I could not even lay on my side. Luckily the drugs helped me sleep! 

You'll get there, don't worry.

~Colleen 

sleevegirl
on 7/2/11 10:19 am - Austin, TX
Oh good, so I'm not the only one that was really unhappy with that. LOL. Yup, the drugs were keeping me sleeping. I'm off of them now. I kinda miss them though. Hmm... I wonder if I can take a valium or something to knock my butt out? (kidding).

I'm just an inpaitient person :)

its4maya
on 7/2/11 7:54 am - Cypress, CA
 I think the sleepless nights were the #1 negative side effect of the surgery!  I was on my back propped up and miserable.  There is no way for me to sleep like that!   About the fourth night home, I wedged a pillow so I could sleep on my side and that was great until I woke up and my arm was completely numb.  I carefully fipped over to the other side and tried it again.  Now, almost 2 weeks out, I'm pleased to report that I started out on my side and woke up on my tummy....no pain, no issues...felt sooo good!
You'll get there!  Get creative with your pillow molding and when you find the right fit, you'll be in dreamland. 

sleevegirl
on 7/2/11 10:20 am - Austin, TX
Yay, you are only a day earlier than me, so I must be on the cusp of it. That's usually how it goes, right? Right before you are seriously about to lose your mind, something changes. Let's hope it changes in the next few nights beause even with 2 pillows around me and specific ways of setting things up... ahh.... sleep is still sketchy, but at least I AM sleeping!

Carmelita
on 7/2/11 8:09 am - Four Corners, NM
IF yer young....RE-LEARN (its not as hard ..as we make it)...and SAVE YER TITS!

Read more on WHY sleeping on yer stomach is BAD BAD NEWS!! lolol

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/4378927/SLEEP-position s-titties-puss-pillows-acid-wrinkles-+/
sleevegirl
on 7/2/11 10:22 am - Austin, TX
I'm so not worried about my breasts and I know it makes you snore. I don't care. I'm in my mid-30's and I think I'm quite a lost cause. I'm okay with that. :) Thanks for the information though.

Carmelita
on 7/2/11 11:28 am - Four Corners, NM
I know it makes you snore

Ya gotta READ it...sleepin on yer stomach doesn't make you snore!  lol  

I think I'm quite a lost cause.

Get rid of the ANTS...automatic negative thinking...will make yer post op journey way more FUN, guarantee it!!

CHANGING OUR BEHAVIORS is the SOLUTION!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 400 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 427 views