Any sleeve runners out there?

taracarter42
on 8/3/11 7:25 am
I'm about to start long distance running again. I have been off for about 7 months and have my first half marathon in January. I'm not going for time just running to run. I'm worried about nutrition and hydration.

How did you stay hydrated and what kind of carb/protein ratio did you do? Most marathon runners eat a ton of carbs especially during the load phase...I can't stomach carbs aside from oatmeal and peanut butter.

What did you do during running to stay hydrated? I feel like I will have to have a beer hat with a straw on my head to keep drinking the entire time!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Crimson
on 8/3/11 7:53 am - MD
I have picked up running since about two months out. and i use to be an avid runner back in high school (seems like light years ago)

but i recently purchased a camelbak hydration pack (M.U.L.E. NV) and I love it. I also use it while bike riding and hiking so I'm getting my money's worth

HW: 271 lbs.     SW: 255 lbs.     GW: 150 lbs.    
taracarter42
on 8/3/11 7:56 am
Does it jump around on your back when you run and does it make water taste funny? I can't stand weird tasting water! Lol
acbbrown
on 8/3/11 8:01 am - Granada Hills, CA
Try posting this on the exercise forum - lots of helpful vets over there!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

runfatgirlrun
on 8/3/11 8:18 am
This is precisely the questions I asked the dieticians and surgeon during my consult and they told me that there would be no worries.  I am awaiting surgery but I have been trying to adopt some strategies to help me after my sleeve.  In terms of hydration, I agree on the camel back. I have a Fuel Belt with 4 small bottles and they are great. I have been taking small sips throughout my run and on my long training runs I do 10 and 1's and on the 1 minute walk I sip and look after my nutrition.  Have you tried the Gu Gels? I have a run friend who has been sleeved and they are ideal for her. I am running a half marathon in two weeks and by adopting all these points I am finding that my stomach is in good shape and I am not feeling gross. Remember that you need to pace your nutrition and hydration in small doses anyways because it is hard for your body to digest and run at the same time.  You will get sick and get side stiches if you overload or even puke which is nasty business.  For any organized run there are water or Gatorade stations and I take advantage of them. Good Luck!

Stella S.
on 8/3/11 12:30 pm

My nutrient ratio is 50 carbs...fruit/veggie/fiber water based, 25 protein, 25 fat.  Hydration is never a problem during workouts, but I do drink constantly during the day. 

Back to food...a few things I follow is if I run less than 60 minutes, I generally don't eat prior to running. 

On longer runs, I will eat 2 hours before with a high carb, low fat/protein/fiber snack.  I commonly eat a 30 g carb, less than 10g protein sports bar or snack combo. 

After a workout of an hour or longer, I will consume 30-45 g of protein during recovery.  

Good luck!!

Most Active