Sleeved after 60??? Anyone

luckiestparentoftwo
on 8/4/11 4:18 pm - Canada
So i am wanting some information from any sleevers who have had the sleeve after 60...how you bounced back, time frames, how much did you lose etc...

I had the sleeve a month ago and it has been the best thing i ever did for myself....and my mom is really considering ...I told her I would post on the board to see if I could find her any info...

thanks in advance...

DrHollywood
on 8/4/11 4:21 pm - Harbor City, CA
I am not 60 but I know many people over 60 that had the surgery from my bariactric support
group and options class. They are very successful.  This one very good friend of mine
is 72 and was very alert in the hospital.  We were each others Angels..  anyhow she is doing awesome. She use to walk with a cane...  Not Anymore!  I hope people post here.
your mom should just go for it.

✿ L♦O♦V♦E ✿ & ✿ P♦E♦A♦C♦E ✿ღ ✿ & F♦R♦I♦E♦N♦D♦S ✿ ღ
                         "Keeping The Faith!"   "Slim by Summer!"
                                    HW: 250 - SW: 241  - CW: 154.7GW: 140  

1 month: 22 pounds (2162 months: 12.2 pounds (203.8)  3 months: 10.6  (193.2)
 4 months: 9.7  lbs  (183.5)  5 Months:   6  pounds  (177.5 ) 
6 Months: 12 lbs ( 165.5)
 7 Months 7.1 lbs (158.4) 8 Months +1.6 pounds(159.8) 9 Months 2.7 pounds (157.1)
10 Months 8.1 lbs (149) 11 months +2 pounds ( 151) 1 YEAR!!!  2.6 pounds (148.4)

Hit "One-derland April 9th, 2011   (199.7)

"Half-Way Goal" April 25th, 2011 (194.8)

"Happyland 80`s" May 14, 2011  (189.6)

"Groovyland 70`s"  June 20th 2011  (179.9)

" HippyDippyland 60's"  July 16th  (169.8)

" CQQL-land 50`s"  August 25th ( 159.8)

"Normal BMI"   24.8  October 21st, 2011 (154.5) I am 5`6

"AWESOME-land 40's" Dec 1st 2011  (149)

"Century Club 100 Pounds"  Dec 1st 2011  (149)

' ONE YEAR SURGIVERSARY!!!"

Two Year Surgiversary!!!"

infodiva808
on 8/4/11 4:22 pm
 I'm 60! It's never too late for quailty of life. I feel like 40 all over again!

Magnolia2
on 8/4/11 4:38 pm - LA

I qualify by one year, to answer your question.  I did fine with the surgery/recovery, just noticed I needed more rest than usual.  Afternoon naps are still a luxury that I enjoy and some days, need.

The weight loss has been slower than expected but my surgeon has reassured me that I'm right on target for my BMI.  So far, right at 40 pounds gone! I feel wonderful and look forward to feeling even better as the pounds disappear.  Tell your mom not to worry, it'll be a very good thing for her health if she's willing to make the life style changes.  Best wishes to her and for your continued success.

Mag2
wert
on 8/4/11 4:53 pm - MN
My surgery was a month before my 60th birthday. I had an amazing recovery. I was in the hospital 2 nights. The first day home I was in bed pretty much all day. The second day home I took a nap. And after that I was good to go. At 2 weeks out I felt so good I couldn't believe I'd even had surgery. I feel wonderful now at 5 months. 

If I was your Mom I wouldn't hesitate for a second to get it done. I feel like I gave myself a tremendous gift when I decided to have WLS. I'd never ever want the band or RNY. This is the perfect surgery for me.

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

(deactivated member)
on 8/4/11 11:05 pm
I'm 59 but have a few other health issues and I breezed thru surgery with next to no pain and after effects.  I had some serious fatigue after surgery but I also have other health issues that cause that.  I took about 6 weeks before I had real energy and no fatigue.  Other than the fatigue it was really a breeze.
Lynnww666
on 8/4/11 11:41 pm - Canada
HI,
Not quite 60, but I'm 57 and a half and had the surgery done (plus gall bladder removal and a major umbilical hernia repaired) just over a week ago.
The pain is really not bad at all... and these days it's mainly just the odd sort of twitch or cramp feeling. I'm losing weight and feel great though it did take me a couple of days to really get over the anesthesia which they say is much harder as you age. Also, a week out, I'm glad that I have some time off work as I do kind of feel nappish in the middle of the day.... but that is getting less and yesterday I didn't even snooze.
But I would say if she doesn't have any other health issues which would make it a huge problem you should tell her to consider it for sure.
The doctor who turned me onto my surgeon had one done and "sent" his mom (who would have to be well into her 50s for sure) to have it done. For me, if a doctor will send his mom to get it done, that's a real plug!
She might have a rough week of it at first, but I think after that she will be as happy with it as you are.
Lynn
Quien quiera pescado que se moje el culo
Dec. 2010 weight 355, surgery weight 292 Current weight 199

Richard M.
on 8/5/11 1:31 am - OH
I am pre op now and 64 there is a forum for people over 50 that has inspired me. The people there have had all kinds of WLS and are very friendly!

sunny10
on 8/5/11 1:47 am

Hi:

I was 59 when I had my sleeve done and had no complications.  I was in the hospital 1 night.  My recovery was good.  I have been loosing weight a bit slow, but steady.  Feel and look  like 35!!!!!!!! 

Sunny10    
Phyllis C.
on 8/5/11 4:14 am
I was almost 60 when I had my sleeve.  I recovered in a snap.  I was healthy in every other way other than my weight.  If you mom is in relatively good health, she should do just fine.

We older women know how to take good care of ourselves and that helps too.

Phyllis
"Me agreeing with you doesn't preclude you from being a deviant."

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views