Will my friendship survive?

ready2Bhealthy2
on 8/19/11 4:42 am
So I have this friend and we have this perfect relationship.  In a conversation the other night he asked me if I thought the surgery would change me?  I said sure I'll be healthier...of course that's not what he meant.  I think he is concerned that our friendship won't make it though the changes that are coming.  We have been friends for almost 1 1/2 years and we are super close.  I turn to him for almost everything.  If he was a girl he would be my bff, but ppl judge when it's a guy and girl...anyway...the majority of our friendship has been me changing my life for the better and he has been one of the positive influences in my life pushing me in that direction. 

I guess I'm just wondering if any of you lost friends through all of this?  Friendships that were strong to begin with??
HW286/SW269/1mo-20lbs/2 mo-9lbs/3 mo-10lbs

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
felicity2u
on 8/19/11 4:49 am - LA
True friendships will survive anything! I have a friend that could not get the surgery and thought it would surely break up apart because I thought she would not want to be around me as I got smaller and she stayed the same size. I could not have been more wrong, she was there for the surgery and helped during my recovery and has been my biggest cheerleader.  Those are the friends that you cherish the most.  My husband always worries that I will leave him when I'm "skinny" and I tell him, you were the only person who saw the beauty underneath all that fat and I'll love you forever for that! That's just how true friends are, they are not your friends because of how you look but how you act.  It will probably bring you closer because now you will have more energy and want to do more fun things.  At least, that is what happened to me.  Only thing, if it is a male/female relationship, just make sure it doesn't turn romantic if you don't want it to because I lost friendships when they turned romantic and didnt' work out. Just let him know ahead of time that you may get super sexy and you don't want him falling for you in that way, lol! It will be fine! Don't worry about it. I'm sure he will be super happy all the way for you! Good luck!

If you fear nothing, then you love nothing. If you love nothing, what joy can there be in life?
                       VSG-3/3/2011 HW-308 SW-298 CW-152 GW-160
                                                156LBS. LOST

ready2Bhealthy2
on 8/19/11 6:39 am
Strictly platonic.  He is happily married with a lil one.  We work together and are business partners as well.  I guess it's just I never questioned if I would change as a person until he did.  Thanks!!
hollykim
on 8/19/11 6:15 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Are you eating/drinking buddies? Have you been enablers for each other in this way? Isn he also MO? 

If the answer to any of these is yes,then it is entirely possible that your friendship won't be able to survive.

I hope this is not the case but....
GL,
Holly

ready2Bhealthy2
on 8/19/11 6:35 am
He is slightly overweight (about 30lbs), but very healthy.  He works out daily and encourages me to workout as well.  He actually changed his eating habits as soon as I told him about my journey to WLS.  If he eats anything I can't have he does it away from me, so I'm not tempted and he definately supports me in every way he can about this journey.  Thanks!
(deactivated member)
on 8/19/11 6:41 am
It honestly sounds like if anything, this will bring you two closer! I wouldn't worry, I think you have a great friend there.. and there's no reason why guys & gals can't be BFFs.. I've known several "couples" that were lifelong friends w/ no romance involved.
SassyItalian
on 8/19/11 6:29 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
if you are truly friends and then he will be happy that his friend is having a healthier life and making positive changes. period. there should be no reason the surgery negatively effects your relationship.

i dont know what the full nature of your relationship is but if you are single and you get more attention as you lose weight (as most of us do ) then you may spend more time dating and less time with him but thats ok because true friends understand that each deserves a partner, as well as good friends in their life.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

ready2Bhealthy2
on 8/19/11 6:38 am
Thanks.  Yes, I am single and looking forward to a more eventful dating life.  He knows that is coming and seems to be supportive.  You guys are great.  Love my OH fam!
Ms Shell
on 8/19/11 7:18 am - Hawthorne, CA
Ok I had ONE answer which is exactly what everyone else said...TRUE friendships especially where there is ONLY encouragement etc only thrive so you are ok there.

How is his wife?  I ask this because women are a totally different subset from men.  We CAN find jealousy where there is none.  She could be "ok" with your friendship because in some women's eyes big girls aren't a threat.  But once you're not big anymore and super HOT and vivacious and working out with her husband etc.  I'm sure you see where I'm going.  So not knowing her I just wanted to put this out there.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

ready2Bhealthy2
on 8/19/11 11:57 pm
You have a good point.  She is a very small woman.  I have met her a couple of times at family functions as I'm also great friends with his sister.  She is aware who I am, that we work together, are business partners, and friends.  But, she may like me less when I get all sexified...lol...my new word.  Well, I guess I will cross that bridge when I get there.  Thanks!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 65 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 247 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views