VSG to RNY

JenniferER
on 8/25/11 6:46 am - MI
Hi,

I have been having terrible reflux and nausea since my VSG 8 weeks ago to the point where I am on IV nutrition since I cannot consume enough calories.  My surgeon is going to go back in next week to see if it is a hiatal hernia that can be repaired.  If it is not a hernia, he has suggested that I convert my VSG to a RNY which should end the problem.  He did not feel a DS is warranted.  I am not thrilled about this as I really did not want to have to deal with dumping and other malabsorbtion challenges.  On the other hand, the current situation is not maintainable. I can't live hooked up to an IV every night.  Is there anyone who has had a VSG turned into an RNY that would like to share their experience?

Thank you

Jennifer ER   VSG 6/29/11  RNY 10/26/11   

skylark2011
on 8/25/11 7:00 am, edited 8/24/11 7:02 pm

Uh....Im no doctor, but isnt VSG to RNY impossible since your stomach is mostly gone? isnt your only option DS? It doesnt sound like the doc knows what he is talking about....

HW: 351 SW: 344.5   5'10"  

skylark2011
on 8/25/11 7:42 am
MY BAD!!! 

HW: 351 SW: 344.5   5'10"  

NewStart145
on 8/25/11 8:15 am - GA
From my research the purpose of the VSG was originally used to convert to RNY.  The VSG was designed to help patient who were like 500+ lbs to lose weight in order to have the RNY done safely to lose the additonal weight.  However, doctors have now seen that people can use the VSG as their main source of weight loss and not have to convert to RNY.   So the doctor correct when saying you can go from VSG to RNY. 

hollykim
on 8/25/11 11:22 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 25, 2011 at 3:15 PM Pacific Time, NewStart145 wrote:
From my research the purpose of the VSG was originally used to convert to RNY.  The VSG was designed to help patient who were like 500+ lbs to lose weight in order to have the RNY done safely to lose the additonal weight.  However, doctors have now seen that people can use the VSG as their main source of weight loss and not have to convert to RNY.   So the doctor correct when saying you can go from VSG to RNY. 

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the VSG is the first step to a DS NOT RNY.The sleeve has been used as part of an  eventual DS for super morbidly obese patients.  Ihave read of VSG to RNY. RNY doesn't have anything to do with a DS before or after VSG.
GL,
Holly

(deactivated member)
on 8/25/11 7:04 am, edited 8/25/11 7:05 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
There is a lady on the lightweight board, Karin anyway, she had to have a VSG to Roux-en-Y because she had some issues with pressure in her sleeve, but she honestly went through a LOT before they came to that conclusion. 

At 8 weeks out, I surely would be poking around to see if there was another choice though, because if you can keep your pyloric valve, I know you know its the best option. 

I will go find Karin's profile and link you to her!  Good luck!  I am sorry you have had a hard time of this!

Her profile is private but here is a thread of hers, that you can just hit "contact" at the bottom and send her an email!  Or even look at her "latest posts" to find out some information.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/wls_lightweights/4441571/Q uestion-about-protein-coffees-amp-hot-choclates/

I hope that its just a hernia, or there can be another option for you!  I am thinking of you!
felinemommy
on 8/25/11 7:39 am - NH
It really sucks that you are having such problems and I can't even imagine having to deal with doing IV nutrition.  BUT, if possible, really think twice about having your sleeve converted to RNY.  It takes months for the swelling subside and that may be a significant issue right now.  I think that if you have a hiatal hernia, then a repair should take care of your issue, but if possible, hold off on the conversion.

I hope things get better.........soon!  Keep us posted.

LilySlim - (TZ0U)

Maintain daily activity levels and practice clean eating........still battling some unhealthy behaviors!

sswanky
on 8/25/11 10:33 am
HI Jennifer, I really hope you get some relief and feel better soon.  Your surgeon is excellent and very experienced and with a bariatric center of excellence program.  I think you can trust his recommendation.  Good luck!

tripmom02
on 8/25/11 10:39 am - NJ
 Wait, isn't this the same doctor who told you to eat potato chips? I seriously would be shopping for a second opinion and FAST.

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 283 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views