Scary experience today

Seldern
on 9/8/11 11:48 am - Belmont , NC
So I'm 11 days post-op and today my eyes started to get blurry almost like I was looking under water through baby oil. That went on for about 30 minute then I went upstairs to put some stuff up and halfway through I started sweating and feeling dizzy and my eyes started flashing almost like when you look up at the sun quickly. I went and peed then laid down for a couple minutes and started to feel better. I believe I was dehydrated so I sucked down about 24oz including a protein drink. It scared me and my husband pretty bad. I've never come that close to passing out before. Strange thing is I had more fluids today than I had the last several days. Maybe it's catching up to me.
Good news I had my 2 week post-op visit today and I'm doing terrific! Dr said my liver biopsy came back as one of the best ones he'd ever seen.

So this is my PSA for drinking drinking drnkung after surgery!
God Bless
SARAH VSG 8-29-2011

smkeller
on 9/8/11 12:14 pm
I have had that too, though not for awhile. I think that you are right about it being dehydration. When you are dehydrated your blood pressure drops and you have those symptoms. If you stay hydrated then that will probably not happen again. Also if you are taking blood pressure medicine, you will start to need less and less of it. I am totally off now only six weeks post-op.
brownblonde
on 9/8/11 12:29 pm
 Is that not the scariest feeling EVER?

I have had fatigue and dizziness issues on and off, sometimes chronic.  But the worst case was when I was about 4 months out and went to a football game and fainted.  Scariest non-control, ill ill feeling.  I think you're right about dehydration--because this was far worse than any of my previous spells.  Take care

momsy55
on 9/8/11 1:39 pm - ME
First, congrats on your wonderful post op!  Sounds like you were right about dehydration.  I had a bout in the hospital, waking up in a cold sweat and feeling ouy of it.  My BP was very low, so they gave me a pouch of IV fluids that emptied in an hour and I was fine.  The experience gave me a healthy respect for all of the emphasis on staying hydrated.

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

anewsweetjessa
on 9/8/11 5:15 pm - IA
maybe at that point you should check your blood sugars maybe your too low blurry eyes sounds like blood sugar issues

mrsnate
on 9/8/11 5:29 pm
VSG on 04/27/12 with
I actually had something weird happen with my eyes after I had my last baby. I had a c-section, so I don't know if it was related to surgery or what, but mine turned out to be an "ocular migraine."  No actual pain, but weird vision issues.  The doc's said it was a combination of exhaustion, dehydration, and stress.  Your story makes me want to stay on top of my fluid intake for sure!  Feel better. :)

Rebecca
kpuddytatz
on 9/9/11 1:35 am
I agree that it sounds more like hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).  I was diabetic pre-op (no more WHOOT WHOOT) and had frequent episodes of hypoglycemia so I was well aware of the signs/symptoms of how it felt, etc.  I have had several episodes -- more so lately when I don't eat enough protein and have too many carbs -- it's like it's my body's way of saying, 'BAD GIRL, stop that!'  You can buy a glucometer over the counter at any drug store, they're very easy to use, just ***** your finger for a drop of blood and in 5-10 secs, Voila - your blood sugar. 
Had you had anything with carbs or sugary before this episode?  Mine usually bottoms out about 2-3 hours after eating/drinking something like that if I don't have enough protein on board to kinda counter balance it.  I would definitely talk to my surgeon or even regular, primary doctor though if I were you.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views