Band to Sleeve should I do it?

Peppermint-Pattie2
on 9/10/11 1:25 pm - San Marcos, CA
Hi All,

My Doc is suggesting a revision of my band because of poor weight loss.  He said sleeve.  Let me know your thoughts .Any of you go from band to sleeve?

Thanks!

anewsweetjessa
on 9/10/11 1:26 pm - IA
LOVE MY SLEEVE ! WISH I could have done it w diet and workouts but I now love my sleeve

camietam
on 9/10/11 1:32 pm - Ceres , CA
I am also feeling the weight of this question. I have the Band 3 years. I am having a few issues with poor weight loss and the doctor is suggesting another procedure like gasric bypass but everything I have read the sleeve is a better alternative when switching. I want to change to something because I am still obese.
Camie

CindyLyn
on 9/10/11 1:45 pm - Evadale, TX

I am a little over three weeks out from a band to sleeve revision and so far it is the best thing I could have done for myself.   I highly
recommend it. 

Revision from Lap Band to Gastric Sleeve.  August 16, 2011

stephany48463
on 9/10/11 7:47 pm
You are so lucky that your surgeon gets it. That the band is the problem. I know a few people that would give their right arm for a revision but the surgeon just wont work with them....I say go for it!
45 lbs lost pre op
first goal 199 reached 2-3-11
second goal 175 reached 6-1-11              
USAF Wife
on 9/10/11 8:56 pm
My revision from band to sleeve was the best decision I ever made. I had a lot of complications with my band, not just poor weight loss. I was living with chronic pain, puking on water some days, not being able to eat decent food, and the other band issues that many just brush off to being my fault.

The sleeve is really great, but it is just a tool. I won't lie and tell you that it stops all hunger, head hunger, cravings. Once you've healed you can suck down a milkshake just as easily as you did pre-op. So, like with ANY of the surgical options, you have to put in the emotional and mental work all the same. The constant, permanent restriction, loss of physical hunger, my hard work on changing eating habits, and behaviors during my losing stage, and a great follow up program are all keys to my success.

The sleeve won't keep you from eating crappy foods. All of that is on you and you alone. However, none of the surgeries beat carbs, and with all of the options, you have to make lifelong dietary and behavioral changes to be a long-term success!

Best wishes in your research.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

BuckeyeGirl
on 9/10/11 9:58 pm - TN
I'm with USAF Wife, my sleeve has been a dream come true after my band, but I was having complications with my band. I had huge variations in restriction where some days I could eat anything under the sun and then randomly the next day, I wouldn't even be able to drink water. I was vomiting frequently and never knew what kind of food I would be able to tolerate.

Are you having any problems with your band that are contributing to the poor weight loss or are you just eating around the band?

Best of luck,
Lindsey

Laurie M.
on 9/10/11 10:33 pm - KS
I had considered the band in the beginning but after researching how many issues people were having and the poor weight loss I choose the sleeve instead. Get rid of that hunk of junk and enjoy sleeve world! After you get past your first month or so and recover from surgery you will be glad you did! Good luck on your decision.

shelliwi
on 9/10/11 10:57 pm - Sheldon, WI
I am have band to sleeve revsion on Sept 20th (only 9 days!!!) I have had lots of problems with my band however, weight loss wasn't one of them. I lost because I was either throwing up everything or too tight to eat anything. They could never find a happy medium. 0.2cc could mean the difference between eating anything and gaining weight to not being able to keep down water. After 2 years of this and a year of research (after my doctor's suggestion for a revision) I have decided to go with the sleeve. I'm scared but excited! I'm hoping the sleeve is the answer for me without all the problems the band gave me.
Good luck to you in your decision. It's a decision only you can make. However, I agree with the poster that said you are lucky to have a doctor that understands and wants to help. Many people don't have the option of revision because of their doctor or insurance complications.
Shelli

High-245 /Lapband-229/Sleeve-175/Current-173/Goal-150   band 7-14-09 revision to sleeve 9-20-11  Shelli from WI                 

cdepietro
on 9/10/11 11:32 pm
I had the band for 8 yrs and with loits of vomiting lost 170 lbs. I eventually gained back 50 of it and my band was giving me a hard time. Never finding the right spot. Some days couldnt keep in water others eat all day. So now to be honest I came on and asked this same wuestion plenty of times and got all great answers. I did had the sleeve done on 7-25 and have been having problems ever since. I have vomited multiple times every day just as i did with the band, i have severe heartburn just as I did with the band. I can not keep much of anything in just like the band. So all the great things I heard didnt happen for me. Not yet. i have had 2 dilations and I am still struggling to keep in enough water. Havent had protein since surgery and I lost 43 lbs but in the past week nothing. My body is like thanks for the no calories in 7 weeks. So would I do it again maybe because just like with my band no matter how much heartache it gave me I would have taken t over being fat. Could my doctor have messed up yes that could be, could I just have a bad stomach I guess that could be the case. But I have not been one of the lucky ones. I drank yesterday 20 ounces of water struggling by 1 PM then was hungry I tried 1 ounce of lentil soup and up it came along with the rest of the fluid I tried to keep in for the next 4 hrs. So choose wisely and know when scar tissue exists from a previous surgery be sure you have a doctor that has done it plenty of times before.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 158 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 430 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 451 views