Is VSG the Cure?

bornleader79
on 9/11/11 11:30 am - Fort Campbell , KY
I was curious did VSG cure your Sleep Apnea? PCOS? Type 2 Diabetes?

Thank you for your input

Also on You Tube! Check me Out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY_oy2y3XfM

SassyItalian
on 9/11/11 11:35 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
Per my bariatric surgeon:
weight loss is the only cure for sleep apnea..
so in theory weight loss comes with VSG- viola! cure..

but one thing to keep in mind as we say on here..the sleeve is just a tool for us to lose weight, not a cure for obesity..you will have to work at it and follow plan to lose weight and keep it off and doing that you will most likely cure your sleep apnea and diabetes.

good luck on your journey!!

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

AniO
on 9/11/11 11:48 am
I second what Sassy said! Weight loss will resolve those problems, but you have to get your head on straight and see food in a whole different way for permanent change. Good luck to you!

AniO
20maddie
on 9/11/11 12:18 pm - TX
I would not say it is a cure. I don't have diabetes anymore. However my doctor said that it's possible when I get older say in my 60's 70's or 80's that it could come back even if i'm not overweight. But for right now my numbers are normal. I still need to do a sleep study to see if my sleep apnea is gone.
    HW 239  SW 234  GW 135  HT 5'4

Edit   Delete  

IndyVSG74
on 9/11/11 12:59 pm - IN
I was never diagnosed with apnea though my husband swore I had it, I snored like a champion and never slept all that well. I was a smoker pre-op, and since quitting smoking and losing my first 25 lbs (I'm a month post-op) he says I don't snore at all. I am waking up feeling much more refreshed than I have in years, too.
~Megan
Sleeved 8/10/11

BriarRose
on 9/11/11 1:18 pm
I would not say it is a cure to anything. Weight loss surgery gave me a tiny tummy that I CHOOSE to fill with protein first, healthy vegetables and fruits and heart healthy fats and carbs. My tiny tummy has helped me control the ammounts that I eat, but I have to drink my water every day, make healthy choices in what I eat, and exercise 4 times a week.

Sucessful weight loss may help to curb diabetes, and sleep apnea, but I doubt that there is any guarantee that it will cure either. I know that it has for many, but I also know of folks that eat around their surgery, and end up back on their diabetes meds too....

But can it be done ? Yep ! It sure can.
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
rdd9348
on 9/11/11 3:38 pm - OR
I would have to agree with what the others have said.  VSG is not a "cure", it's a tool.

However:
        I have gone from 86 units of insulin per day to zero, and an A1c of 5.6.
        I am off blood pressure meds
        I may no longer have sleep apnea - need to do another test to make sure,
             but I had to turn my CPAP down to its lowest level.

The VSG surgery didn't do those things for me.  What did was the weight loss, and that only happens if you use the tool as it is intended. 

Highest-285, Start WLS Program-267, Surgery-245, Current-196, Goal-148 
                                   Short Term Goal - Under 185 by 10/15/11           
J.Lo 74
on 9/11/11 10:07 pm
I'm not sure if it is a cure but a few years ago I lost 100 lbs through diet and exercise but continued needing my meds for blood pressure, was still pre-diabetic and still had apnea. Now that I had the VSG last month I am off all medications, my numbers are very low and I no longer snore. Go figure.
George B.
on 9/12/11 12:26 am - Miami, FL
The VSG cured my,
1. High Blood Pressure
2. High Cholesterol
3. Sleep Apnea (I don't even snore now)

I used to take 5 pills for High Blood Pressure and 1 pill for High Cholesterol and I'm now off all medication. Pressure and Cholesterol are now normal.

Three of my friends got off Diabetes medication within a few months of their VSG.

Excess weight causes or contributes to a lot of ailments.

Good luck,
George

losingit919
on 9/16/11 10:11 am - Clayton, NC
I got banded almost a year ago. I have lost the signs of PCOS and my diabetes is completely gone. I did not have sleep apnea, but weightloss does help with that.

Most Active