Holy crap the mood swings are killing me

candyturbo
on 9/12/11 12:35 am
I have dealt with depression and moodiness my whole life. I guess it is why it took me so long to realize that the mood swings I am experiencing now are WLS related. I just assumed it was because I was getting back on my meds (which I stopped during the surgery and immediate recovery period). The meds I take you have to ramp up on so I attributed my moods to not being fully on the meds yet. But I am now fully ramped up and the mood swings are HORRIBLE. At least once a week I am ready to walk out of my job, and that is just the tip of the iceberg. I am alternately ecstatic and then extremely sad or unbelievably angry -- and there is nothing in particular that sets me off most times, or it is something insignificant. Lucky for me this has been a lifelong experience, so I have learned to cope to a degree. This does not make it easier, though. I feel like I am losing it. I hate feeling this way.

Thanks for listening (reading).
HW 254, Start WLS Program-246, Surgery-239, CW-209, Goal-150 (or better)       
sarahjnkc
on 9/12/11 1:21 am - MO
Been there and I can say by increasing my excercise and increasing my protein I have began to feel "normal" again. 
         "The grass is not  greener on the other side, it's greener where you water it. "  HW: 258 CW: 222    
candyturbo
on 9/12/11 6:35 am
Thank you. I will try it! I definitely need more exercise.
Carly ~
on 9/12/11 1:30 am
 I know.. deep down inside I have compassion and I'm a caring, loving human being.   Mix that lately, with the hormonal fluctuations -- I have become completely intolerant of some people and their issues.

I can't stand people repeating mistakes or whining about their issues again and again, asking for help -- and then criticizing the help you've offered with all of the reasons your advice won't work.

It makes me crazy!   Then I usually end up saying something brutally honest, and unsolicited out of pure frustration.  

So far I've curbed this new found intolerance when replying on the forums, but I just can't stand seeing people struggle, and when you offer a helping hand -- they smack down all your ideas on how they could help themselves.

That's the biggest hormonal change in me so far.... aside from thinking I'm going to die without sex... hahahaha : )

candyturbo
on 9/12/11 6:37 am
LOL> I can relate. My husband would like for me to find more of the "die without sex" hormone!
(deactivated member)
on 9/12/11 2:13 am
Welcome to the club! My mood swings have been killer since surgery. I've had 4 periods in the last 2 1/2 months and all the glorious PMS that goes along with it. I really hope this evens out soon. You are not alone.
smbergie200
on 9/12/11 3:27 am - Naples, FL
 3rd day post op I was not allowed to take my depression/anxiety meds and I was about to lose it. When I got home on the 3rd day I took my meds and started to feel normal again. I have had a few bouts of being moody and an ass to my wife, but they seem to be getting less frequent. I also am being treated with testosterone for my low levels. I have been MUCH more calm at my job which is retail working with the public. Maybe your estrogen levels are off. Women have hormone treatments all the time. Anyway I feel much better now and you will too. Treat yourself to a nice  or catch some . zzz's

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

candyturbo
on 9/12/11 6:39 am
Hey, we live in the same town! Or thereabouts!

I definitely need to give myself some TLC. That can't hurt. I have been taking it all out on football in the past few days. That helps some to yell at the TV but my little doggie is getting scared of me.
Paul11011
on 9/12/11 4:38 am
Mood swings are a natural by-product of the grieving process that we are going through.  The grieving comes from the loss of what used to be our best friend, emotional crutch and instant entertainment....food.  I know I have had to learn to deal with my emotions much more where before if I was happy, hey it's a great night for pizza....if I was sad, hey how about some ice cream.  You get the picture. 
VSG 1-10-2011 Dr. Randal Baker.   www.grandhealthpartners.com

candyturbo
on 9/12/11 6:42 am
That is an excellent point I had not thought of. It is obviously hormones, but I am certain there is some of that grief in there too. I know I have consciously thought about missing food the way I used to be able to eat it. I have had to rethink about what "fun" is when I am out with my family. It ALWAYS revolved around what yummy treat I could get wherever we were going.

I need to find that replacement for food, something healthy like walking. Music has truly been a friend to me since the surgery, too. Maybe I need more of that!

Thanks!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views