Eating all the time!

Tiffany B.
on 9/11/11 7:19 am - Scottsburg, IN
I feel like I am eating all the time. I eat about every 3 hours. Is this normal. I had surgery on August 1st, so I am almost 6 weeks out. I don't know how else to get all the protein in. I do not like protein shakes. I am getting between 300 and 400 calories a day and under 20 carbs. Any suggestions on how else to get the protein in?
edelu
on 9/11/11 7:36 am, edited 9/11/11 7:37 am - los angeles, CA
Why are you eating so little? If you cannot get all your Protein from food, supplement with a shake. Your calories need to be at least double that at 6 weeks out.
Maggie71
on 9/11/11 7:56 am - MI
How much protein are you getting.  Eating every 3 hours is fine as long as you are eating what's on your program.  Right now the focus needs to be protein and getting all of it in. 
suggestions:
Greek Yogurt  19 grms .5 cup
High Protein Mils   14 grams a cup / Carnation instant breakfast goes well with it.

Your NUT should give you some other options I hope.
Good Luck and remember to get that protein in!

maggie

Lynnww666
on 9/11/11 8:04 am - Canada
You should be getting 70-80 grams of protein per day (at least! some think higher.. I aim for 90-100) and there is no way to get that in food... My NUT suggested adding powdered skim milk to things to up the protein numbers in yoghurt, soup etc.
Your calories sure sound low to me. I was sleeved July 28 and my limit is 750-800 calories a day. Some suggest lower but I'm losing alright with this and not feeling deprived so it's working for me.
I'm not a huge fan of the protein shake but I use a packed one (like Premier) with 30 grams and add a half scoop of a powdered whey protein for another 15. I call this my uber shake and I have it breakfast most days to get my protein count off to a good start in the day. It's not delicious but I know it is super good for me and it's not horrible so I just suck it up as the price I must pay to get my health back.
Also Greek yoghurt is high in protein and if you flavour it, it tastes quite nice though I kinda like it plain.
Ask your NUT for more ideas....
Lynn
Quien quiera pescado que se moje el culo
Dec. 2010 weight 355, surgery weight 292 Current weight 199

abrown8434
on 9/11/11 8:32 am - VA
I personally recommend protein shots--I just placed my order in preparation for after surgery. I have some that have 42 to 50 grams of protein per shot. The largest ones are only 3 ozs so even if it takes a few hours you are able to get those down.

Amazon has the cheapest--I found 12 for around $32. Pricely but I think it will be helpful to have at least 1/2 the protein I am suppose to get each day in one shot. Most are zero carbs and zero sugar.

I have also bought unflavored protein powder to add to my broth and liquids so I can sneak in protein there as well. Between the protein shots and that I hope I can get as much as possible early on.

I hope this helps!

HW: 550+     SW: 502      CW: 342.4  SDt: 9/20/11

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."--
Philippians 4:13, KJV

edelu
on 9/11/11 9:12 am, edited 9/11/11 9:15 am - los angeles, CA
Both my nut and Dr warned against protein shots.  They are collagen protein and not absorbed well by the body.  They're pretty useless.  Sorry
Elaine2
on 9/11/11 9:13 am - Atlanta, GA
Don't want to hi jack this but---please don't do the protein shots. They use collagen protein. If you google ----ICK!!! Here   's the details as to why you don't want it.
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4440059/PSA-Protein-Bu llets-or-Shots-Why-you-dont-want-them/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4423770/The-Problem-wi th-Liquid-Collagen-Protein/

In regards to the original post, you need to find a protein supplement you can tolerate if not like. View it as medication if you have to. It's really necessary to get 65-70 g at a minimum. There's so many different ones to choose from----350 RTD and 450 powders on the Diet and Nutrition Forum.  Keep trying until you find one you like.

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/11 10:18 am
 Where do you get unflavored protein powder?

heatherdw
on 9/11/11 9:14 am
I would worry less about the carbs and more about the protein.  You can add FF cottage cheese (14g/half cup) and greek yogurt to your diet.  Canned tuna and chicken with FF or lite mayo (I do lite).  I add in a High Protein Ensure or another premixed high protein shake once a day (about 25 grams).  You can also drink a glass of skim milk and get the protein Special K and let it soak in milk for a while. 

Protein shakes make me want to hurl too.  I've found that the premixed ones are better than the ones I mix at home though.  Unfortunately you HAVE to find one you can deal with for a couple of months to help you through this part of the diet.
Heather, SAHM to 2 (ages 3 and 7), Student

Tiffany B.
on 9/11/11 1:08 pm - Scottsburg, IN
I am getting about 60 grams of protein a day. I am following the Dr.'s program. I just know I need to up my protein. I am not trying to eat low cal. it just seems to be happening.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 157 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 429 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 448 views