Surgical leave denied by my job?!?!?!?

(deactivated member)
on 9/25/11 5:32 am
What letter is calling it elective and why? Yours does not sound elective. Sounds like you may want to start there. Sadly no job is required to approve elective anything. It's viewed the same as requesting vacation.

Can you get a new letter?
ready2Bhealthy2
on 9/25/11 6:20 am
I had to get a letter from the surgeons office stating what I was having done, why, and how long I would be out.  I never read it as it was faxed directly to HR.  I will be calling first thing in the morning to see if I can have a new letter, omitting the word "elective".  Thanks for your input.
koshermama
on 9/25/11 1:38 pm
I would think the what and why would be none of their business!!

HW 310, SW 307, CW 259, LW 7.5, Goal 150

Shalom aleichem! Join us...  Keeping Kosher After WLS    
PBJ
on 9/25/11 5:35 am

I could be wrong but I do not think they can deny you time off for having surgery.  I would check with my surgeons office and call state disability office..because you will qualify for disability.  And if all else fails..I would quit.  you are more important!  Do not let them stop you from getting this done.  But I honestly do not think they can stop you.  When Mine got approved by the insurance, I went into my boss and told her and said that I had 90 days to do it (within the ins approval time) and when would it work best for her.  I ended up getting the date I wanted but made her feel that she choose.  I would totally fight this....that is horribe.  You know if you want a boob job...they have to give you time off for it!  WTF is right!!  fight em sister!!

Patty

My weight loss journey                                                    
PBJ
on 9/25/11 5:36 am
by the way..this really isn't elective..it is for medical reasons that you are doing this.  You could get new knees and be out for months...would they prefer that??  This just makes me so mad for you!!

Patty
My weight loss journey                                                    
ready2Bhealthy2
on 9/25/11 6:24 am
Thanks PBJ for your passion.  I'm hoping the new letter makes things all better.  My orthopedic surgeon is purposely holding off on knee surgery because I told him I was getting WLS.  He wants to see if the weight loss will help my condition or not.  In the end, it is guaranteed that knee surgery will definately happen without the WLS and I will most definately be out for much longer.  Thanks again.
HogRider
on 9/25/11 5:52 am - Jacksonville, FL
Remember your boss has a boss. Time to start climbing the food chain.
USAF Retired                     CW: 257 SW: 341  GW :170
ready2Bhealthy2
on 9/25/11 6:25 am
Very true.  I guess I'm just so new that I don't want to stir things up so much.  I feel like this job is a great opportunity to give back to our vets and for me to grow within.  Thanks, I will keep it in mind.
(deactivated member)
on 9/25/11 6:03 am
Can you ask your doc to just put major abdominal surgery on the form? If it isn't FMLA then they shouldn't need to provide too much detail. Your doc should be willing to work with you on this.
Krazydoglady
on 9/25/11 6:04 am - FL

Are you taking vacation or sick leave?  If you're taking vacation, the type of surgery you're having shouldn't matter.

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 167 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views