Surgical leave denied by my job?!?!?!?

ready2Bhealthy2
on 9/25/11 5:18 am
I work two full time jobs.  One is teaching (time off is all taken care of) and the other is a ward secretary in a VA hospital Friday evening through Monday evening.  On Fridays and Mondays there are three of us in the hospital doing the same job and on the weekends I am solo, but still not over worked at all.  My coworkers have already agreed to cover me on the weekends I am to be out (2 weeks is all I want.)  I have only been working here since March, so FMLA is not an option.  I have enough time accumulated to only take 2 weeks paid.  I got the call from my boss on Friday that the surgical leave was declined due to the word elective.  WTF???  She told me to try and get another letter without the word elective in it and try again.  Kicker is the woman who declined me has had RNY...double WTF??? 

My question is do any of you work for the federal government, as I do, and have any suggestions to getting this approved.  My surgery is in 3 weeks.  I love my job and don't want to leave, but I love me more!  If I don't get this surgery, I am looking at bilateral knee replacements, diabetes, and so much more in my very near future.  My only option if the new letter doesn't work is to request one week off and suck it up and come back the following week.  Please help....
HW286/SW269/1mo-20lbs/2 mo-9lbs/3 mo-10lbs

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
Tonya614
on 9/25/11 5:24 am - Jacksonville, FL
can you use FMLA?

ready2Bhealthy2
on 9/25/11 6:21 am
That is not an option until you have been with the company for at least a year.  Thanks for your input though.
Paige V.
on 9/25/11 5:25 am - Gainesville, FL
my hubby works for the VA, and though he has not requested off for this, he has never had any problem getting time off unless someone that had more seniority than him requested off for the same time. Sounds to me like they are being jerks. I do think if YOU HAD TO, you could do a desk job after a week.

visit my blog at www.thenursemommy.com!
start weight-288 pre-op -5lbs month 1-23lbs month2-14lbs month 3-minus 13lbs month4-minus 12lbs month5-13lbs month 6-8lbs   GOAL-21months out after having a post-WLS baby!

ready2Bhealthy2
on 9/25/11 6:14 am
Getting time off is usually not a problem.  This had to go through other people though and now I'm being jerked around.  Thanks for your input.
jacreasy
on 9/25/11 5:30 am
VSG on 04/23/12
Im totally confused! WTF is right, how can they decline your leave as it is for medical reasons, you have the pto to take and your boss said no!? yes love you more.... if you take one week paid and come back for a day can you call out for the next 4-5 days and use a dr note? that makes no sence if they dont let you have it off and you have another full time job I would say f*ck them.... Im sorry but thats just not right!!!!

Jennifer
ready2Bhealthy2
on 9/25/11 6:16 am
Problem is that I love this job and hate my other one.  I want to stay with the federal job due to benefits and growth.  My immediate boss is trying to help me get approval.  She is awesome.  I'm going to figure out a way to work the system.  I have to do this!!  Thanks for your input.
AnastasiaBeaverhausn
on 9/25/11 5:31 am
I had my gallbladder removed at the same time. A friend had a hernia repaired. Any chance you need some non-elective stuff done?
HW - 275  SW- 226  GW-150  

ready2Bhealthy2
on 9/25/11 6:19 am
Hmmm....very interesting points.  I see my surgeon this Wednesday, I will have to talk to him about that.  I've never had gallbladder issues, but maybe we can remove it for fun...hahaha.  Thanks for your suggestions.
Smardeepants
on 9/25/11 7:27 am
My surgeon found that my gallbladder was scarred (as is often the case) and took it out at the same time.

WLS surgery/rapid weight loss often cause gallbaldder issues and some surgeons take them out at the same time if they look iffy. 

Can you contact your surgeon's office and ask them to re-submit the letter (without the word "elective") in it? I mean, if you have to play the game, play it!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 266 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views