suddenly tired

b_scene33
on 9/25/11 1:03 pm - OH
I'm heading into my third week out, doing so so on my liquids and protein intake-but the past two days I noticed all of the sudden I would become completly wiped out from just getting up from my couch or walking to the bathroom. I just progressed to a mushies phase but I wonder if I maybe am not eating enough? I know it doesnt sound unusual, but today I got extremely winded from walking up one flight of stairs, I was slightly dizzy and lightheaded to- I was walking stairs @ 1 week out and not getting winded from 3 times the same amnt of stairs....Any suggestions?

Also on a seperate topic--- I've been back to work for a little over a week and I think everyone knows what I had done. I dont talk about it, I never told anyone what kind of surgery I was having-as it's none of their business- but I feel like everyone knows and just not talking about it to me- like behind my back. I could be paranoid but I wonder how everyone else handled this? I dont want to tell anyone, bc i dont want anyones feedback--I dont want to hear what anyone has to say about my choices- but im weak and so I'd just rather not hear it. Did anyone else keep it a secret? What about in 4-5-6-7 month out when i've lost more weight? What do i say then?

♫♫♪♪♫Brie♫♫♪♪♫
*H:5'4" HW: 242 SW: 218.8 CW:142  GW:142*
Surgery Date 9/07/11

acbbrown
on 9/25/11 3:09 pm - Granada Hills, CA
I guess I wasn't embarrassed enough to try and keep it a secret. At first, I didn't want to tell people, but then...it wasn't worth trying to hide everything. I had a very social group of co workers though and lunches/dinners/happy hours were the norm. For my pre-op diet, they weren't satisfied with my "watching what i eat excuse" to avoid all the social functions, so i eventually gave up and just told them i was preparing for surgery. Sure, had some nay-sayers, people who didn't think I should do it, but overwhelmingly got more support than anything. It would have been impossible to explain why I couldn't eat with them any more, or indulge in the food fests

No, I don't care for the few that want to be food police, but its worth putting up with for the rest of my co-workers who support and encourage me. I've started a weight loss trend in my office, so it's been positive overall of sharing my surgery.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

SassyItalian
on 9/25/11 10:26 pm, edited 9/25/11 10:27 pm - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
you are not eating enough at 3 weeks out to be getting all of the nutrients you need, especially potassium or iron. i would get a full blood panel done at your regular doc.

if your levels are off you can take iron otc if you need but potassium needs to be rx'd. good sources are v-8 juice, avocados, and artichokes but i doubt 3 weeks out you are allowed those things.

my fatigue started a few weeks out and was due to low potassium, which can cause heart palpitations, so its important to get you levels checked.

p.s. now i eat enough and dont have to supplement anymore

as far as your co-workers, maybe they know, maybe they dont, i wouldnt lie, as you lose weight if people ask you can tell them or say you had a complete lifestyle change.

but i guarantee they wont be talking trash or judging as you get skinnier..well maybe the women will be a lil jealous!

do whatever you have to do to make yourself comfortable with the situation.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Krazydoglady
on 9/25/11 11:55 pm - FL
Make sure you get your fluids and protein in.  It's really important. Also, make sure you are taking your supplements.  Low iron, potassium, or B-12 (or all of the above) can be culprits for fatigue.  Equally important, make sure you're getting your rest -- at a minimum 7 to 8 hours of sleep every night. It's really important for your overall well-being and weightloss. your body metabolizes fat while you sleep. 

You're not turning tricks on the street -- you had WLS.  My general philosphy is if I'm going to make a decision, particularly a controversial decision, I'm going to do so with my head held high. I don't keep secrets.  Secrets give other people power over you. You are giving your co-workers all kinds of rent-free space in  your head because they maybe, might know what you did, and maybe might be talking about you. It has to be sapping your energy, as well.   How is that any better than someone actually saying something to you, good or bad?  So they opine about your choice -- whatever. That's on them! 

Good luck! You'll be fine. 

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Father Don
on 9/26/11 12:44 am, edited 9/26/11 12:44 am - Charleston, SC
First - you hit the "wall" a lot of u**** 3-4 weeks out from surgery.  It's the bodies way of dealing with the "starvation" we are giving it.  Like bears, our body wants to go into "preservation" mode and have us sleep to store the calories we are getting/have already.

Like everyone else has said, make sure you are getting your vitamins in,  Mushies in the beginning do NOT give you enough protein  - so make sure you are getting in at LEAST one drink/shake per day.

Don't get nervous.  If you do the vitamins, and protein - you'll push through this - we ALL have, and came out the other side.

As for what do you say - say your on a new doctor-supervised eating plan (don't use diet - I don't like that word - makes it sounds like sacrafice).  You are not lying - it's a eating plan you have for the rest of your life, and it's doctor supervised!

Obesity Help Support Group Leader

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views