Preparation and Second Guessing

lavendargirl1
on 10/8/11 12:01 pm

Went to the health food store tonight, bought 10 isopur protein drinks and an isopur vanilla protein powder. Got some Alive liquid vitamins and some liquid vitamin B12.

On the way home I started thinking.
 1st Mistake:   I started thinking, you are really crazy to want to do a sleeve, you are only 206 and I am sure there is a diet out there you havent tried. Now I have done Nutrasystem, jenny craig, lost some, did herablife lost 100 pounds kept it off for awhile then little by little gained back 80. Most recent I have done the HCG diet and lost 90, keeped it off for 2 years then little by little it is coming back.
2nd Mistake: Thought if only I would stop being lazy and exercise every day hard, I would loose all my weight and it would be healthier.
It would help to bring my cholesterol down from 300.
Then when I got home my husband was upset and stressed worrying about going to Mexico and then on our anniversary get away. He feels I will be too sore and too sick.
HELP ALL: I need input?????

exitrealtor4u
on 10/8/11 12:13 pm - MD
I was 218 lbs. before I had the surgery. I'm 4'11". I've tried everything to lose the weight. I did lose but would always gain it back. My husband is a personal trainer and worked with me consistently to lose the weight but I coudln't keep it off. The surgery will assist you; its not a fix all though. Its going to be work, and will take discipline but the benefits outweigh the risks. GO FOR IT!!!I applaud you for doing it!

USAF Wife
on 10/8/11 12:15 pm
Yep, totally overthinking it. If you keep doing the same thing and expecting different results, you know what that is, right??? Insanity!

As for your husband, if he'd like to have you around for many more anniversaries, he needs to not stress, and not worry about this one anniversary when you might not be up for running around town, and you might need a little more TLC for a couple of weeks. It's the best anniversary gift he could both of you! ! ! With cholesterol over 300, what's the inevitable outcome from that one? More pills, more heart disease, less energy, more weight gain, clogged arteries, heart attack, death??? YEP, that's what will happen, no more anniversaries. Harsh, I know, but I'd rather be recovering from surgery for one anniversary than my husband visiting my graveside 10-15 years earlier due to co-morbidities and obesity-related conditions.

Just my $0.02 ! ! !
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

(deactivated member)
on 10/8/11 12:31 pm
star733
on 10/8/11 1:13 pm
was the 'going to mexico' for the anniversary OR are you having your surgery in Mexico? I have a friend, who is a nurse, that has seen a lot of propblems in her ER with gastric surgeries done in Mexico...i'm hoping you were referring to your anniversary trip! if so---tell hubby to book it a little later, after you can eat solids, and it can be an anniversary/celebration trip!

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/8/11 1:33 pm - Tuvalu
On October 8, 2011 at 8:13 PM Pacific Time, star733 wrote:
was the 'going to mexico' for the anniversary OR are you having your surgery in Mexico? I have a friend, who is a nurse, that has seen a lot of propblems in her ER with gastric surgeries done in Mexico...i'm hoping you were referring to your anniversary trip! if so---tell hubby to book it a little later, after you can eat solids, and it can be an anniversary/celebration trip!

There are a lot of problems in the ERs with gastric surgeries done in the states, too.

There are good doctors all over the planet and there are bad doctors everywhere...including right here in the good old U S of A.
ready2Bhealthy2
on 10/8/11 11:06 pm
Please note that Mexico has rave reviews from these forums.  She selected her surgeon and has decided to go through based on what she is comfortable with.  We have plenty of problems here in the states, so I don't think Mexico can be blammed as a whole for all gastric surgery problems. 
(deactivated member)
on 10/8/11 3:08 pm
I am going to try to make this easy for you.  First, go look at my profile for my before and after picture.  I was about the same weight as you and had the same weight loss history.  I had lost the weight over and over again.  Guess what?  It didn't work.  Are you surprised?  I don't believe you really are surprised.  I believe that deep down you know that you can lose the weight, but you can't keep it off without help.  Stop driving yourself crazy.  You chose a doctor I have only read great things about and is one of the most trusted VSG surgeons around.  Go get the surgery and get your health back.  Life is too short.  Of course if you feel you need to prove to yourself once again that you just can't maintain the weigh loss, well, go that route, but you know and I know that you will be right back here kicking yourself later.  Go take care of business and enjoy your life.
J.e.t.
on 10/8/11 3:31 pm
 I so wish I had had this surgery when I was 206 instead of waiting until I hit 263.  You've chosen a great surgeon, have an anniversary trip planned around it, you're making a good decision.  Of course it's stressful, and decision like this is.

I lost a hundred pounds with diet too, and kept it off for many years--in fact it took me almost 15 years to completely gain it back.  But gain it back I did, and here I am at this point having the surgery.  I'm sure most of us here have a similar story.  

Hang in there, the anxiety can get the better of all of us.  
HW 263, 3lbs lost prior to surgery,  weight loss ticker is since surgery.

joeswife
on 10/8/11 9:41 pm - CA
It seems to me this is a lot of anxiety on both yours and your husbands part. Having just had my surgery on monday, I can so relate with your comments and your husbands. 1st yours - sheesh yes you can try the old diet again, but really what's your success rate? I weighed 201.4 on surgery day, considered really heavy? Not too bad, but considering that is 75 pounds heavier than I should be yes! I have lost, up, down, up, down, just can't keep it off. Now the hubby, no doubt he has fears. Mine did, totally wasn't on board even 2 days prior, but we talked it out and he felt better about it. His fears are normal, he loves you and wants nothing to happen to you (and it won't) other than weight loss!
I am almost a week out, had a few hard days here, but honestly would not change a thing. This is for ME, totally being selfish here. I deserve to be healthy, to love myself and be proud of myself and the decision I made to make it happen.
Go for it, you will not be sorry! Good lick to you, keep us posted. Come sit next to me on the bench my dear! Hugs to you!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 265 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views