Returning to Work Post Sleeve

lavendargirl1
on 10/9/11 4:32 am
Hi all,
  Some questions rolling around in my head and hubbies head..... Imagine that??

I work as a Respiratory Therapist and will be returning to work 10 day post sleeve. Is this going to be difficult?

Have any of you returned to work that soon, in a job that requires lots of walking, pushing carts and stress?

Thanks for input once again
duranie512
on 10/9/11 4:40 am - OH
1 week after surgery I started putting my resume out there.  3 weeks after surgery I felt I wasn't ready to go back to work. At the 4th week I felt I had more energy, but lightheaded a lot.  Tomorrow I start a new job I hope I can handle it.

Good Luck!!
DonnaCrosland
on 10/9/11 4:51 am - WA
I was sleeved on Monday October 2nd and was in the hotel working the next afternoon.  I swear it was the easiest surgery I have ever had.  Now I have a pretty easy job - and can work remote or at home - so that helps a ton - but I was ready to jump back in.

We are all different and have different recoverys - listen to your body and take the time you need.

I do have a bit of back pain - reference gas - but all in all have been walking about 3 miles a day and really do mostly feel great.

Hope that helps.
watchmenow
on 10/9/11 5:21 am
It may be difficult.  That largest incision hurt until 10 or 11 days out.  It would have been too painful for me to return to work and move with good mobility.  Plus, I could not pick up anything that fell on the floor until today which is 2 weeks.  I am just able to lay on my sides too.  I plan to return on Thursday.  I do feel like I can do it now.  It depends on how you feel.  Best wishes!
  I like calling North Carolina home!!!  Go Tarheels!  

Christine928
on 10/9/11 5:37 am
I was out of work for about 8 days.. I think it would have been shorter but I had to wait for my one week follow-up with the surgeon so he could release me back to work.  I went back on a thursday and was on a plane that sunday night for a week long business trip.. Everyone is different and will heal at different rates. I moved very slow at first but in no time I was back to my old self.

Don't expect a miracle.. Move at your own pace and if you feel pain take a break.

lowplaces
on 10/9/11 5:47 am

I was a lucky one. I had surgery on a Friday morning and was back to work the following Wednesday. The first day or two back was a bit difficult but very doable. I have a job that requires lots of walking and light physical, I was able to do most things. Things I found hard was when I had to bend over or if I got on the floor and had to get up, way to much stomach required. I didn't have a problem pushing things around as I walked, such as going to the grocery store on day 3. I was a bit slower than normal but highly capable. Let's put it this way, my husband was the only one that knew I had the surgery. No one noticed other than my kids/teens, who thought I was just sick.

I would plan on a week but expect that it could possibly be more, just depends on your body and how it reacts to the surgery.

Lowplaces
ChristineTX1970
on 10/9/11 5:55 am - TX
My doc said that I would be able to go back to work in 2 weeks if I had a desk job. I work as an ER nurse in a very busy Trauma Center - so no desk work for me. lol So doctor is giving me 3 weeks off work to start and we will go from there.

RPrice85
on 10/9/11 7:00 am - MI
I have the same concerns because I am a dog groomer...so my job is pretty physical. Plus I don't get paid time off. So I am hoping I can take like a 1-2 weeks off and be back and if I have to sit to groom I will and I will just ask my co-workers to lift heavy dogs if I can't do it!
urmisnshin2
on 10/9/11 7:59 am - TX
I'm a nurse, took off two weeks, then back to work without a problem. I was really, really sore for about 5 days post op, has one large incision that was sore for about 10 days......and after that it was smooth sailing. I just had to be sure that for 6 weeks post op I did not lift, push, or pull anything outside of my 10-15lb weight restriction....smooth sailing all the way!

HW 280  SW 260 CW 155 GW 160      

Velvet36
on 10/9/11 9:21 am, edited 10/9/11 9:21 am
I am 4 days post op from a Lap Band revision to a VGS.  I plan to return to my nursing supervision job after just 7 days off.  If I were a floor nurse, I don't think I would be able to return so soon.  I do have the luxury of being able to go to my office and sit to recover if I experience pain or fatigue.  Good luck to everyone!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views