Calling all runners! (joggers too!)

dicastro1010
on 10/10/11 6:08 am - Escondido, CA
How soon could you start running? I used to LOVE jogging, but am afraid that I am still too fat and will put too much pressure on my joints. Suggestions? 

I am 5'10 and weigh 280 pounds. I feel like I could jog now that I have lost a few pounds but am afraid to hurt something. The last time I was a regular runner the max weight I ran on was 170ish. Any thoughts?
Hi I'm Diana! I'm 5'10 and hoping to get down to 165 :) Feel free to friend me! 

acbbrown
on 10/10/11 6:12 am - Granada Hills, CA
I've been jogging since I was a pre-op. I run/jog now at 270ish. My knees bother me a little but more when I bike than run so i don't plan on stopping.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

watchmenow
on 10/10/11 6:44 am
The Ortho doc told me.....for every 10 pounds you are overweight, you put 50 pounds on your knee caps. Imagine that impact hitting that pavement.  Due to damage already done to my knees, he only wants walking for now.  I don't have knee painor swelling but there is unseen damage.  If there is a question, seek medical advice because it can/will do damage to you knees.
  I like calling North Carolina home!!!  Go Tarheels!  

LilMissDiva
on 10/10/11 6:45 am
Even at my heaviest (330 Lbs) I would do my workouts and this included semi long distance speed walking (for me I could do about 3 miles max).  I even had some knee issues.  They wantd to do surgery on my knees even!

As I lost weight though I would increase the distance and pick up the speed.  I think I was bordering around 240 Lbs that I would start working on building up my running.  I got up to running around 7 MPH at around 179 Lbs.  I haven't gotten any better yet and I haven't lost anymore weight.  Due to some surgeries coming up I'll probably lose about 10 more.  My body likes that speed and my knees no longer hurt... and I haven't needed any knee surgeries.

Thank you sleeve!!!

Started: 330/283/272 = HW/Band/VSG
From Size 3-4X/28W To Size XS-S/0-6... WHOOT!!!
Band-to-Sleeve, Date: 09/15/10!! Dr. Aceves, Mexicali, M

dicastro1010
on 10/10/11 6:53 am - Escondido, CA
Thank you so much for your replies! My doc said "no restrictions" just to do what I can. So I thought I would ask those of you who went through it first hand. I think that I am going to give it a "go" and try it out... We'll see!! I guess worst case scenerio I'll just have to slow down to a walk if I can't hang yet. But that would be sooo dissapointing.

Thanks again!

Diana
Hi I'm Diana! I'm 5'10 and hoping to get down to 165 :) Feel free to friend me! 

theshrinkingmimi
on 10/10/11 7:08 am

All about how you feel.  Have you been walking?  Start very slow- defined by you. I ran the straights on the track at 320lbs- whenever I felt like it and as fast as I felt like it.  I'm in-doors now at a gym.  I plan to start intervals. For me, I will start with maybe two jogging intervals at 4.? for about 1 minute.   And go from there. I'm not worried about injuring myself at that pace because I've been walking for 3 months now. My feet and back no longer hurt, so I feel up to it.

My plan is to start next week.  I have spent last week and this week getting my heart rate up with sprints on the arc trainer. I've been also walking on the treadmill at a faster pace. Sometimes I do intervals with slower walking and faster walking.  So, next week- jogging intervals. But I won't stress over it. I'm my own trainer. I decide when to stop.  

As for speed- I won't worry about for a while. If my body lifts off the ground, it's a jog. I'll increase over time.

BTW, my weight is in the 280s. I'm not worried about my weight. I worry about making sure that I have a gradual increase in intensity.

Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
IndyVSG74
on 10/10/11 7:14 am - IN
I'm at 225 currently and I've been doing the C25K training for about 3-4 weeks. It includes some jogging and walking intermittently. It's hard, but it doesn't seem to bother my knees too much. I am not jogging very quickly.
~Megan
Sleeved 8/10/11

Smardeepants
on 10/10/11 9:08 am, edited 10/10/11 9:09 am
I started running/jogging about 2 years ago at about 230lbs. I also did a couch-to-5K type program, and progressed slowly. I did several races (5K, 10K, a couple of sprint triathlons, and a half marathon). I was VERY slow (my husband called it "wogging"... as in a morph of walking and jogging, LOL).

I did have knee issues, a couple of injuries, and shin splints, but as long as I gave myself time to rest, used ice, etc. it was manageable. When I overtrained and pushed too hard after my 1/2 marathon (I was trying speed drills) I ended up with a stress fracture, and running was sidelined for 16 weeks while I healed. Even then, I had to work back up... starting with 1/2 mile walks. It was depressing. My ortho told me it (running) was too hard on my body, and I should lose weight first. :( I was CRUSHED.

Fast forward two years, I'm now 181 and running again. (I just started 2 weeks ago). I'm running my fastest time  yet, and no sign of knee, hip, or shin issues. I *heart* my sleeve!!!

I would start VERY slowly, definitely do a program (like couch to 5K) that alternates walking/jogging in the beginning and builds gradually. (maybe even do each "week" of the program for "2 weeks").  Do less than you think you can (as in, don't push too hard)... the pain with running sneaks up on you (you're fine during the run, the pain comes later!) Just do what your body will let you do, and don't get discouraged if your body tells you to wait a little longer.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 267 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views