is this all normal?

star733
on 10/10/11 10:30 am
ok-i'm quite sure this is normal BUT i'd just like someone whose been here to tell me 'it's normal'...i am starting my 3rd week post-op SO i just started 'full liquids' and i've gotten to the point that drinking my protein is near impossible to do, the thought of one more drop of chicken broth makes me sick to my stomach, the sugar-free drinks i can have make me feel like i will vomit and the protein shakes that i can have now-chocolate and vanilla flavors-seem just too sweet! so far i've only got in 25 grams of proteins, today-and i need 60 to 80! water tastes weird, now, so it's even difficult to drink that(and i've always liked water)...IS THIS NORMAL? and if so---how soon will it pass? becuz i've got 2 weeks to go, on liquids, before i can start blended food! 
plus-my stomach feel like a rock in my belly(like when i was PG with twins)---is that normal, too?
OH i also had a hiatial hernia repair, which caused me some issues and i think that may be why my stomach feels like a rock, to me!  anyone else have the H.Hernia surgery and the sleeve at the same time-and had issues?

SassyItalian
on 10/10/11 10:40 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
as far as the water, i have heard people say they have trouble tolerating straigh****er soon post-op- as long as other drinks are decaf and sugarfree they count towards your intake so try some different flavors of crystal light, propel, g2, powerade, etc. also, some people do better with cold water or room temp water, depending.

when it comes to the protein drinks, you just have to suck it up and do it. my doc wanted me getting around 35g protein for the first few weeks, 60 was not happening no way no how. but you must get some, you must drink them.

my suggestion is to go and find recipes using vanilla or choc. protein shakes, i have a really yummy pumpkin spice one if you like that made using vanilla protein powder, you can add a little peanut butter to the chocolate shake to cut sweetness and change flavor, try adding unsweetened cocoa powder to choc shakes to de-sweeten them.

there are a million recipes on the internet that can help you get through the next few weeks.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

A_NewFuture
on 10/10/11 10:49 am - Saginaw, MI
 Hi someone posted earlier in the day which is probably buried by now a very extensive list of protein shakes here is the link to the posting hope it helps you

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/4459503/ENORMOUS-seriously-ENORMOUS-Protein-Drink-List/#36883707

I know I will be using this soon enough I am having my surgery tomorrow morning Tuesday 10/11/2011 @ 9:30 so good luck hope this helps you

Raquel

With Gods help I am going to beat this!  

Deborahdb
on 10/10/11 11:12 am - TX
 Congratulations A_NewFuture....you will do great!
A_NewFuture
on 10/10/11 12:12 pm - Saginaw, MI
 Thank You Deborah I'm nervous but I am excited at the same time can't hardly sleep

My name is Raquel by the way :)

With Gods help I am going to beat this!  

amanda D.
on 10/10/11 10:59 am - Stayton, OR
I am 3.5 weeks out and sometimes I can do okay with my water/protein and other days i just want to frickin puke.  I found alternate ways to get it in now.  they have a "dieters" hot cocoa mix that has less sugar than the no sugar added one, plus i found SF apple cider(which i have not tried yet).  But i do the cocoa w. skim milk and it counts towards my fluids.

As for the shakes themselves, I too have that problem some days where it's so sweet it gags me. I just suck it up and take more time to drink them, have found that adding crushed ice helps a little.

precious_diamond38
on 10/10/11 11:24 am - VA
I am only 5 days out and i am having the same issues.. Water does not taste the same to me .. all of these sugar free drinks taste the same.. and the protein drinks so far are yucky lol... i def need to go on that site to see what i can do to tweak the taste of the protein shakes...
star733
on 10/10/11 11:29 am
one of the things my doc gave me, to read, said a lot of people feel tha****er tastes different after their surgery BUT it will get back to normal in a few weeks! i certainly hope so! i'm gonna check out these protein drinks and flavors, too! (i;m currently trying to drink a chocolate protein shake---YUCK!)

star733
on 10/10/11 11:26 am
thanks y'all---you rock!!!

diane S.
on 10/10/11 11:28 am
pretty normal to hate protein drinks. add a tsp of unsweetened coco powder to choc ones to make them more bitter and adult. add a blob of greek yogurt to vanilla or fruit ones to make more tart. sprinkle cinnamon on glass edge to hide smell. and make a shake but only pour out two oz in a fancy glass and put the rest in freezer. when you drink the first 2 oz, pour out another two oz until you have finished. this may take an hour but its better to keep it icy cold. less yucky. water often tastes weird to people. i did iced tea and hot tea which tasted better to me. you really gotta get more protein down though and its a struggle but will get easier and pay off later. premier protein premixed from costco is the best tasting in my opinion. keep trying different kinds and find someone to trade brands with you. I don't know about the rock in stomach feeling. I did have a hiatal hernia repair with vsg and no problems. good luck.  diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 82 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 298 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 346 views