hmmm....

RPrice85
on 11/2/11 5:54 am - MI
Soo I had my second meeting with my NUT today. It's the last one until my surgery date is set...now everything just has to get sent into insurance and wait for a reply. But when I was there she asked me what my personal goal weight is and I told her. She said well why do you want the sleeve instead of RNY cause you know that you will probably only loose about 70% of the weight you want to with the sleeve! She isn't the only one that has questioned me about getting the sleeve or making me second guess about having this procedure verses the RNY. I just don't understand why everyone pushes for the band or RNY!?! I just wanted some input on how people reacted when you told them you choose the sleeve verses the other procedures. Did people try to talk you out of it?
5'5" 26yrs old HW:288, SW:253, CW:225; Lost 35lbs pre-op, Mo1: 21lbs

PapaJack
on 11/2/11 6:32 am - VA
dragon1
on 11/2/11 6:45 am - NY
People don't know as much about sleeve because it's newer, and they are less experienced.

As a side note, don't even worry about the 70% thing.  My NUT told me the same thing.  I got depressed for a week or two, then started thinking.  I asked for clarification at my next visit, saying I get that I will only lose 70% of my excess weight.  But, how do you calculate what my excess weight is?

Apparently, by their formulas, a 5" tall person should weigh 100 lbs.  For every inch, they add 5 lbs.  I am 5"1, and have NO DESIRE IN THE WORLD to weigh 105 lbs, and if they said I would, I would have declined the surgery.  By their formula of 70% of excess weight lost, I will end up at 135, which gives me a normal BMI, a size 6, and a happy smile.  Bring on the 70%.
VSG on May 9, 2011.  HW: 217.  SW: 206.  CW: 144 as of 12/22/11.
tripmom02
on 11/2/11 6:50 am - NJ
Statistically your NUT is right, but the stats are not much better for the RNY. If you have fully researched and are comfortable with your choice then just nod and say "thanks for the info" and move on. My doc wanted to revise me from the band to RNY, but I would not do it, and when I laid out my reasons he saw that I knew what I was talking about and backed off me about the RNY. 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

annatschida
on 11/2/11 6:52 am - Shakopee, MN
I think that is really weird that they are trying to push you away from the sleeve.  I had a sleeve gastrectomy on August 4th, 2011. My surgeon, nurses, bariatrician, etc. had nothing to say but great things about it. They also said that the weight loss rate is very comparable to that of RNY. I have never heard that you will lose only 70% of the weight. I am 13 weeks out and have already lost 50% of the weight, so I REALLY find that hard to believe.  I would say stick to your gut and do LOTS of research.  The surgery you choose is a very personal decision that YOU (not the nurses or doctors) have to live with the rest of your life.  Make sure you are confident in that decision or you need to do more research.  Also, even if you did end up struggling with the last 30% of the weight you want to lose...think of the other benefits of a sleeve - you don't have malabsorption issues, you don't HAVE to take as many vitamins, you don't get sick from eating sugars or breads, the "hunger hormone" is removed, etc. There are many benefits. Don't get me wrong, the RNY has set an amazing standard in WLS, but I truly believe that the sleeve is going to be the new standard very soon.  Good luck to you and please keep us posted on your decision.

wls2011
on 11/2/11 7:12 am - Ballston Lake, NY
 Yes, some people tried to talk me out of the sleeve. Really no one had hardly even heard of it....I still have to explain it to regular doctors/nurses.....I also switched bariatric surgeons & hospital midway through the process to make sure I was going to a surgeon fully on board with the sleeve and that had done hundreds of them. I am so happy I did!

Dragon...I never heard of calculating it that way...that's interesting....and I agree with you, I'd never want to be 104 lbs! I'd be emaciated....

I did see another formula posted, and based on it...I have lost over 90% Excess Weight and I'm just under 6 months post op....so I'm confident I'll make 100% EWL....

Many on here have made goal and even exceeded their goal weight and have done much better than 70%....Don't worry about the statistics...just work hard!

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

RPrice85
on 11/2/11 7:38 am - MI
Thanks ladies for the encouraging words. I already know that my decision is to get the sleeve....unless for some reason my insurance denies it then I will get RNY...I won't have time to appeal cause my insurance coverage through my dad ends Dec 31st of this year...I will still have some medical coverage, just not as good....that's why I need to get it done before the end of the year!! I have been doing lots of research and my mom had RNY 5 years ago, so I am no stranger to things, but my NUT just had me second guessing for a min about which procedure to do! My surgeon is on board with me getting the sleeve...he is the one who actually said it would be the best procedure for me! By the way you all are doing amazing and I hope to join you soon on the other side!!
edelu
on 11/2/11 8:03 am - los angeles, CA
My Dr also stated that the weight loss was better for rny and he's done a lot of sleeves and a lot of rny's.  Also Dr's are reluctant because there have been so many wls that have been popular for x amount of years and they end up being crap.  VBG, fobi pouch, lapband.  Bariatric surgeons are used to their failure showing up 3 to five years after people have been walking around with them so it makes them cautious.  that being said weight loss has been very slow for me, very.  however rny was never something i ever contemplated, so it wasn't one or the other. 
jacreasy
on 11/2/11 10:49 am
VSG on 04/23/12
 The coordinator at my surgeons office weighed 500+ lbs and he had the sleeve... He now weights 180 lbs, so don't let anyone talk you out of it if that's what you want. It can be done! I so wanted the band but then the doc said with me wanting to lose 155+ lbs the sleeve would be a good choice.  I like the Sleeve bc it doesn't mess with cutting your intestines I'm happy with that decision and if others don't like it.... well you know what they can do, its not their body that's slowly dieing its mine!  good Luck
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 277 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views