Stall

MsLove01
on 12/2/11 9:27 am - WA
I am in need of advice. I am almost three weeks out. I have lost 23 lbs..but none this week. I am barely eating anything..def less than 600 calories a day. Is this normal?
Marlene
Marlene

mscargirl
on 12/2/11 9:38 am - CA

I am a little more than 3 weeks out and the scale hasn't moved for me either. But I've read here about the dreaded 3 week stall. So, I'm not worried and just keep up what I've been doing. I know this will pass. I have a feeling I'm still losing inches though cuz my clothes keep getting looser.
Hang in there and keep up the protein and water.

HW 297 ConcW 277 SW 254 CW 168.8 GW 155                  

ready2Bhealthy2
on 12/2/11 9:38 am
WOW congrats!  23lbs in less than 3 weeks.    Yes it's normal to stall.  This is the inevitable 3 Week Stall.  Most experience it.  I didn't at three weeks and am instead hanging out with it at my 6 week mark.  Don't stress.  Stick to the program and it will pass.  I suggest keeping your measurements.  This can be very rewarding when you are in a stall.  Best of luck and congrats again!
HW286/SW269/1mo-20lbs/2 mo-9lbs/3 mo-10lbs

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
MsLove01
on 12/2/11 9:43 am - WA
That is a relief....I was starting to wonder why I put myself through all this to lose 20 lbs. How long should I expect it to last?
ready2Bhealthy2
on 12/2/11 9:46 am
It varies for everyone.  This won't be the last of the stalls either.  Just stay focused on the end result.  Definately take measurements and be proud of what you have lost thus far.  When was the last time you lost 20lbs in 3 weeks?  Rock that sleeve!!
Lilo27Stitch
on 12/3/11 3:25 am
me too :( 3 weeks out and no scale movement....except for one pound UP!
FancyRoses
on 12/2/11 11:32 pm - Lower Sackville, Canada

wow that sucks i seem to be in a stall 10 days out the scale has not budged in almost a week.  I can eat/drink pretty good and get around 900 to 1000 cal a day I know a normal 3 week stall but wow this sucks and I hope both of us get out of this stall.  i know some like stalls as the lose inches so lets hope this is the case for both of us

My goals to a healthy me            
MsLove01
on 12/3/11 5:52 am - WA

I did a lot of reading on here last night and started using the nutrition tracker. I am not getting enough protein so 'i did a little better meal planning today. I also have been only getting 400 cal so i will try to up it to 700. It is amazing that you don't feel hungry. I really have to force myself to eat.

I also got the 30 day shred workout in the mail today. It is sooo cold outside i don't want to walk. I'll give that a try and see if it helps.

Thanks for everyone's advise and support!

MsBatt
on 12/3/11 7:59 am
This explanation is courtesy of Diana Cox.

A "stall" at this point is inevitable, and here is why. 

Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when you are not getting in enough food, your body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen, you also lose 8 lbs of water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of a diet.

As you stay in caloric deficit, however, your body starts to realize that this is not a short term problem. You start mobilizing fat from your adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But your body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy -- like, to outrun a sabertooth tiger. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while as you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 90 views