VSG at age 60?

Therapat
on 12/24/11 12:57 am - CA
I am currently in the Kaiser Options program and will hopefully have surgery in March. I am 60 year old and wonder if others have had the surgery this late in life and how they did. I get a lot of advice about how quickly I will heal but mostly it's from people I assume are a lot younger than me. So if there is anyone out there that is 55plus and had the surgery please let me know how it went for you and if age was a factor.

bunnymom
on 12/24/11 1:19 am
I am 62--have lost 130 pounds in 11 months. Feel fantastic. Off all meds, except occas Prilosec. Am dancing (Zumba/Salsa) 6 times per week. Do it--you will do fine.
Bunnymom            
PaulaS
on 12/24/11 1:20 am - TX
I am 56 and had VSG surgery earlier this year.  
I have done wonderful - feel like mine was a textbook case of all that can go right!    BEST decision I ever made!    I don't think my age was a factor at all!    Like so many others, my only regret is not having it earlier!
Good luck with your journey!

Highest weight, 248#
Surgery weight, 236#
Current weight, 138#
twinklinglake
on 12/24/11 1:22 am - Chisago City, MN
Just had the surgery on Tuesday.  Being 56 was a concern, but I've worked hard to lose weight, exercise and get healthy again.  This tool will help me get the rest of the weight off and keep it off.  I want to enjoy the rest of my years.   I've been amazed at how little the surgery affected me.  I notice some discomfort if I am up and being active, but feel normal already if I am just sitting around.  We deserve to have health and be active late in life. 

Jamie_45
on 12/24/11 1:35 am - CA
VSG on 01/09/12
I am 66 and also in the Kaiser program (Fresno) scheduled for VSG on 1/9 and I can't wait to start on my next adventure! I have total faith in all my Doctors who have helped me make this decision and truly feel it is the right option for me. Good Luck and Merry Christmas.
Jeanne T.
on 12/24/11 1:46 am
I'm 55 and had my surgery on 11/30, healed very well and am feeling great!  I am eating soft foods and getting all my protien and water in relatively soon after surgery.  I think you will be very happy with your decision.  My best to you!

KathyA999
on 12/24/11 1:57 am
I was 60 last year when I had my surgery.  I've lost 110 lbs and feel great.  The surgery went really well, and I had no issues post-op - no nausea, very little pain, no changes in taste or smell or food preferences.  (My pre-surgery GERD remained the same, or perhaps is slightly worse, so I still take a PPI.) You'll do just fine!

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

sleeve genie
on 12/24/11 2:09 am - Alhambra, CA
Hey sweetie,  i had just turned 60 a month before i had my surgery, 19 months ago,  i did great,  had a very easy time of it.  All the studies indicate for "older" patients the sleeve is really the best choice.   It was the best thing i ever did for myself, all health issues resolved.  Before surgery i could barely walk d/t arthritis pain,  all gone.  Go for it  you won't regret it,   :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

Dave W.
on 12/24/11 2:12 am - FL
 My wife had the vsg this year at the age of 64. Everything went perfectly and she has lost over 90 lbs. She has never been happier!

judyk62
on 12/24/11 2:24 am - Santa Rosa, CA
 I am 62 and had the surgery on 11/28. Almost 4 weeks out and doing well. Lost 26 pounds so far since 11/12' start of my pre- op diet. No regrets at all so far and I work full time.

HW: 284: SW: 274: CW: 152.8. Goal: 159  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 278 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views