Does it get better????

Rmoneygirl
on 1/1/12 9:31 am - OH
Just wondering if and when it gets better.  I'm almost 3 months out and still have issues eating.  Feeling uncomfortable and such.  Sometimes things hurt and don't sit right when I eat.  Does it get better or is this what I'm in for the rest of my life.

acbbrown
on 1/1/12 9:38 am - Granada Hills, CA
It will get better - i dont know what happens a couple years down the road, but even at 6 months out, I still have some issues with some foods. Mostly bread, raw veggies, and dry dense meat. But it has gotten progressively better, so there is hope

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Mom4Jazz
on 1/1/12 9:40 am
I will tell you what worked for me. It may not work for everyone, and some folks might not even approve, but it complies with my plan and has gotten me to within 7 lbs of goal in 8 1/2 months.

I have a pretty tiny tummy. I always felt like eating was a hassle and was getting discourage. Then I stopped trying to get my protein mostly from food - I drink two shakes a day totaling about 80 grams of protein.

I still eat protein first at meals to build good habits, but if some days I only eat an ounce at one or more meals it's no big deal. So I enjoy the food I do eat.

Breakfast is a shake
Drink at least 16 oz
Late morning lunch (protein food)
Drink at least 16 oz
Mid afternoon a shake
Drink at least 16 oz
Dinner
Protein snack
Take water to bed with me and drink 16 oz between evening and morning pills

Ends up being about 90-100 grams of protein, 600-650 calories and including the shakes 80+ oz of liquids a day and it's no longer a hassle.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

ruggie
on 1/1/12 11:28 am - Sacramento, CA
A bit of tough love here, so forgive my bluntness, but yes you do have to live with this the rest of your life.

But how are you feeling uncomfortable, and what are you eating?  If things hurt, there's a 95% chance that you're either eating too much (are you measuing your food?) and/or you're eating the wrong kinds of food (what is your diet?).

Tell us more!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

edelu
on 1/1/12 2:12 pm - los angeles, CA
Excuse me but living with pain while eating for the rest of your life, is not part of the VSG experience. Please do not tell people that this is normal because it most decidedly is not. Forgive my bluntness.
ruggie
on 1/1/12 2:17 pm - Sacramento, CA
If someone's eating habits are causing them pain, then yes, that is what is to be expected.  Not living with pain for the rest of one's life, but the fact that we had surgery.  Pain should not be and is not a normal VSG experience.  That's why I invite the OP to share with us the volume and types of food he/she are eating.  I never said pain was "normal" nor an average experience.  And no need to ask for forgiveness.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Rmoneygirl
on 1/1/12 12:46 pm - OH
Things I eat...

Chicken
Cheese
Edemame

Thnaks for the replies.

I don't need the tough love I need answers.....  I live the tough love everyday thanks. 
I just need to know if it gets better with time.  I have no issue waiting my time and working on it til it gets better.  Just trying to figure if it will ever happen.  Hubby and I would like to think about a family in a year or so but if this never gets better then I'm not even going to entertain that idea.  I can hardly live myself this way

Rmoneygirl
on 1/1/12 12:49 pm - OH
i try to eat more then those things but nothing else is really tolerated.  I either feel aweful after or i puke.  I don't eat to fast I time and take about 1-2 bites every 5 mins depending on what I'm eating

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/12 1:02 pm
 When I read your starting post I didn't think you were in the shape you say you are in.  I kinda thought the same "tough love" thoughts posted.  Your response poses a different level of discomfort.  There are some key pieces of information missing that might be of help.  
So, what are the aspects of your problems?  Does your surgeon/NUT offer any insight on them?  

Maybe a slightly more detailed explanation of your problems might garner you some more appropriate answers.  All we have is what you tell us.  

You and I were sleeved the same day.  
KathyA999
on 1/1/12 2:27 pm, edited 1/1/12 2:28 pm
When does it start hurting?  With the first bite, or after you've been eating for a few bites?  Is the pain sharp or achy?  Where is it located, exactly? (upper tummy or abdomen) How long before it goes away?  Does it hurt when you drink?  Does it change (better/worse) when you move/lay down/walk?

Is it more like nausea, or physical pain, like a too-full feeling?  Did you have this when you were on clears/mushies, or did it start when you moved to regular food?  How large are your bites?  (I was told, about the size of a pencil eraser for the first few weeks.)

Have you had an endoscopy, just to make sure everything is OK inside?  Are you on a PPI or other acid reducer?  Did you have stomach issues pre-op?  (ulcer, GERD)  Did you have an h. pylori test before surgery?  (I didn't, some surgeons do them some don't; tests for the presence of the bacteria that causes ulcers.)  Have you discussed with your surgeon and/or PCP?

These kinds of details will help your doctor, and may hit on something someone else on these boards has experienced.  I hope you feel better soon!  It isn't "normal" to suffer discomfort forever after a VSG.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views