Question for the vets...bread

MsLove01
on 1/7/12 1:52 pm - WA
For those that are a year out +...have you gone back to eating bread?
Marlene

moonglo82
on 1/7/12 2:00 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
My husband has. He's a year out, and he eats bread, rice, and other starchy carbs in small amounts a few times a week.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

thisbe777
on 1/7/12 2:03 pm
 not really...  i find that after getting my protein in, there really isn't much room left for bread....  i have been known to go into subway and order a meatball marinara sandwich -- hold the bread..  they just put the meatballs in a bowl...  i hate wasting food...

occasionally i will treat myself to a nice piece of toast on homemade bread, but not very often....  i have learned that carbs are really not my friend..

jeris

To live would be an awfully big adventure -- Peter Pan

MsLove01
on 1/7/12 2:13 pm - WA
What a great idea I never thought of that. Thanks!
Marlene

KathyA999
on 1/7/12 2:07 pm
Every once in a great while I eat bread, now that I'm in maintenance.  At a restaurant, not usually because they plop it down before the meal, and I don't want it to take up room I'll need for my protein.  At home, sometimes I'll have a half of a tuna or BLT sandwich.  I use Orowheat 100% wheat, or I found a dense, whole-grain bread at Cost Plus called Fitness Bread that's mostly rye, oat, and wheat germ.  I toast a piece of that and spread it with Laughing Cow cheese sometimes.

Early in my losing phase I decided I needed grilled-cheese sandwiches, so I went out and bought that Pepperidge Farm thin bread and had probably six or seven grilled cheese sandwiches over the course of about three weeks.  Even though I was within my total overall calorie limitation each time, my weight loss slowed and ultimately stalled.

Apparently that wasn't lesson enough, I did the same thing a few months later with 100-calorie snacks.  Same result, haha!  I must be a slow learner.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

MsLove01
on 1/7/12 2:15 pm - WA
Good to know. My doc said I could have Melba toast..but I have just stayed away from it.
Marlene

infodiva808
on 1/7/12 2:08 pm
I found a bread that has 12g of protein! I can only eat 1/2 a slice. It's from Julian Bakery, sold online or I got mine at Whole Foods. Here in Hawaii it cost me $12 a loaf but it is sold frozen and has lasted more than a month.

MsLove01
on 1/7/12 2:16 pm - WA
Thats a good find..do you know the name of it?
Marlene

frisco
on 1/7/12 4:01 pm

I would classify myself as an occasional bread, rice, pasta, potato, dessert eater in maintenance.

I was pretty compliant to 40grams of carbs during WL and in maintenance give myself up to 80grams.

It is very individual.....I always say.... lose the weight first....than find your tolerances. Far to many people lose sight of making goal and give into carbs and find out.....not good.

As a generalization......Most obese tend to be carb sensitive.....and only some can lose and/or resume any kind of normal carb intake.

Some have a bad reaction to carb/sugar spikes that trigger hunger and/or cravings....I feel it, but seem to be able to recognize it and control it.....

In maintenance, I follow a basic 3-2-1 ratio.....My daily intake should look like a reverse pyramid...

3 parts protein, 2 parts veggies, 1 part carbs (fruit is in this category also)

I find it more important and satisfying to get some carbs in through sauces and condiments to flavor and lube my proteins. Flour and starches are nessesary components in a lot of sauces that some people fail to recognize or count as carbs.

In maintenance I occasionally eat Lavash Flat Bread (awesome pizza) and have a small corn tortilla that's like 6grams carbs for real tacos.

I wish I could eat more rice (I'm Asian) bread, pasta, potatoes (I'm American) but that's not my reality......

Carbs can be some peoples "Crack"......handle with care......

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 92 views