will I ever like food again?

cpbkmb06
on 2/16/12 3:36 am
VSG on 02/02/12
I am two weeks out today and am able to start puree/mushy stage foods. The problem is..I don't want ANYTHING. I am not even remotely hungry, and nothing tastes the same as it did before. I don't like the protein shakes I did before, I don't like the jello, or protein powder I bought. Even water has to be FREEZING cold before it even tastes good. Will things ever taste the same? I have been trying to get my protein in. I have been full..but it isn't a "good" full. Like satisfying full. It is more of a "I choked it down because I had to full". Please tell me this is normal and will pass?! 

Ms. Poker Face
on 2/16/12 3:43 am
That sounds familiar and normal, similar to my experience.  For me, it passed and I love food again, but in a different way.

Liquids, mushies and even soft food stages are challenging.  I had a lot of internal swelling too so my full feeling was odd until about 2-3 months out. 

It gets better. 

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

ruggie
on 2/16/12 3:53 am - Sacramento, CA
I like what silly-sweet said - you'll like food again, but in a different way.

Food is going to be a very, very different experience for you now, and it's not going to bring the same, high level of satisfaction and pleasure that it used to bring.  This is good, though.  

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

rhearob
on 2/16/12 4:49 am - TN
 Its funny, I saw the title of thie post adn thought "The poster must be about 2 weeks out".  

The answer is Yes, you will.  The weeks of liquids and mushies, the concentration afterward on protein does something to reset our sense of taste.  The elimination of intense sweetners allows us to taste the natural goodness of foods again.  

What you will likely find is that you like foods you never liked before.  You may find that foods you liked before disgust you now.  In my last group, one of the members mentioned that she could no longer stand the smell of french fries in a paper sack.  In my own case, I could not stand cottage cheese before surgery and I love it now.  I hated all seafood before and love shrimp now (still cant stomach tuna - I think its psychological there)

Another person from my group said she felt like an infant learning to eat all over again.  I think thats a pretty good analogy.  I am three months out and still discovering things.  Give yourself time to learn from your new stomach and body.  

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

inkslingerdiva
on 2/16/12 8:18 am - Dumfries, VA
VSG on 01/22/11 with
Yes, you will probably like food again. It took me about three months to feel "normal". It took a year to have a normal hunger pang. And even now, sometimes I just don't want to eat and have to force myself.

Before WLS I was used to only eatting for taste (read heavily processed) and now I am more than willing to force myself to eat for nutrician on those days food seems unappealing. It doesn't happen that often but when I am very tired from a long day, eatting is pretty much the last thing I want to do but I make myself. I tell myself I chose this, so I try to live with all its consequence ya know?
SW: 228Lbs. GW: 125Lbs. Goal in 14.5 Months CW: 122.7Lbs Down 105.3Lbs

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 48 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 48 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 212 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 295 views