NEED ADVISE PLEEEAAASSSEEE

MichelleChoinski
on 2/16/12 4:05 am - NY
So I'm 2 weeks out and still having alot of pain in the shoulder.  I am always hungry and don't want to drink my protein shakes.  I eat, get ALOT of pain.  I have to choke the drinks down.  My god, I ate beef stroganoff less the noodles.  The pain was so bad I almost brought myself to the ER!!!!!!   Did I ruin my sleeve?  I also want to ad, the top of my stomach was twisted and folded on top of itself so they had to fix that too.
I thought I wasn't supposed to be hungry.  How do I get out of the old habit and stop gorging myself?

What are you successful routines I can try?

I need ALL the help I can get.  I simply cannot fail this.

Chanciekd
on 2/16/12 4:17 am - MS
VSG on 01/23/12
I drank strained Chicken Noddle Soup with unflavored whey protein powder added.  I had clear liquids and protein drinks.  Get the Chike protein drinks.  They taste very good.  I even freeze them and then eat them.  Sugar free jello, sugar free popsicles
Good luck to you!
(deactivated member)
on 2/16/12 4:18 am
 Are you taking a PPI?  If so you may need to increase it.  The hunger is probably acid and the shoulder pain may be too.  I saw a chiro years ago and he diagnosed my shoulder pain as being from acid reflux.

And I don't think you ruined your sleeve, though at 2 weeks out any beef other than finely ground was probably a challenge.

If the protein shakes are too heavy on your stomach you might try mixing with water/ice and a little fruit juice.  Or if you just don't like the taste then you should try some other varieties.
Cindy22706
on 2/16/12 4:20 am - California, MD
VSG on 02/08/12
Thats odd. I am not sure why you have so much pain. I dont have pain at all when I eat. Maybe you should go to the ER just to be sure you dont have a leak or something? I hear shoulder pain is a symptom of leaks. Have you checked your temp? That is odd. I guess since your stomach was twisted it could just hurt to heal.

Good luck.
Ms. Poker Face
on 2/16/12 4:20 am
I feel the same way: I simply cannot fail this.  I am playing my last hand and I'm all in.  (sorry, poker reference)

The sleeve only changes our anatomy, not our brains.  The hard part of the work is now yours.  Seek counseling or therapy if needed.  I did and it's the best thing I've done on this journey!

MEASURE YOUR FOOD.  Gorging yourself is going to be defeating.  At some point you'll be able to eat more and you risk stretching your tiny new sleeve (not back to its old size, but still why risk any stretching??).  So, measure very small amounts and only eat that much.  At two weeks post op, I was NOT eating beef stroganoff.  I was eating pureed foods, 2-3 teaspoons per meal.  That's it. 

Especially given your twisted stomach, go slower with food.  I would recommend not eating things like the stroganoff.  Stay on liquids until that is comfortable and then move on to pureed/mushies.  Don't advance too far too fast, both in type and amount of food.    Some day this discomfort will pass and you can eat other stuff again.  For now, reign it in a bit.

I'm sorry you don't like the protein shakes.  Not many of us did.  But suck it up and do what you need to do to heal!  Be easy on your new sleeve!!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

fit2lose
on 2/16/12 4:20 am - MN
VSG on 05/07/12
I am still pre op, but I have noticed that a good protein shake with skim milk can satisfy me for a few hours.  Add water to that mix and I am good for a morning.  This is from a guy who used to be able to down an entire box of wheat thins without thinking about it as a snack.  I have heard someone on this board say that when she thinks she is hungry she makes a cup of tea and if she is still hungry after finishing the tea then she gets some food. 

What issues are you having with your protein shakes?  What kind are you trying?  Have you tried others?  How about just regular liquids, how are those going for you?

MichelleChoinski
on 2/16/12 4:27 am - NY
I am just so sick of these darn shakes!  I'm sitting here in tears.  I want to chew something!!!!!!
Not even my 27 pound loss is motivating me today!!!!!
Juice, shakes, jello and gross chicken broth.  I need and want some sort of variation.  I tried pea soup watered down and it was ok.  I am not creative and have no idea how to think creatively.  I guess I'm just bummed today.  I love food and I don't want to love it anymore.

(deactivated member)
on 2/16/12 5:34 am, edited 2/16/12 5:35 am - Canada
VSG on 08/16/13
aww.  i haven't had surgery yet but i know that feeling of NEEEEDING to eat.  it's sooo hard.  i can only imagine what it's like to have that with this new tiny stomach that will turn on you if you eat too much.  do you get any counselling?  honestly, if you do anything for yourself try to get help for the cravings and the need to consume things.  i don't know all the answers, if i did i wouldn't be getting the surgery too.  maybe try to hype yourself up with your new 'tool' and really be proud that you have taken a step to make things better.  love yourself okay?  you are awesome and can get through this and be successful.. now is the time to make a great change and be a whole new you!  cuz you are really, a new person inside.  :)))
SouthernmostStar
on 2/16/12 8:19 am
VSG on 01/25/12
I hear you about being sick of the protein shakes and wanting to chew.  I was sleeved three weeks ago and am still on full liquids.  I have one more week of full liquids before I can move to pureed and am trying not to get so bored that I rebel.  I don't want to cause problems for myself and am working very hard on changing my thinking and behavior around food.

I took some low sodium/low fat cream of chicken soup, thinned it with skim milk and water, strained out the chunks of chicken and then, after heating it up, mixed in some Greek yogurt.  That helped increase the protein level and it gave it a different, interesting flavor. 

Do you like onion soup?  I made an easy onion soup and then strained it so I was left with the broth.  That broth, however, was deliciously infused with flavor so it was better and more interesting than plain beef broth. 

Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

kam0520
on 2/16/12 4:30 am - AL
2 weeks out seems kind of early for beef.  We can't have red meat until 6 weeks.  I would think that may be the pain, your sleeve just isn't ready to digest beef.  It is one of the hardest things to digest, because it's so stringy.  I am 17 days out and we can have processed meat, canned tuna, canned chicken, potted meat, vienna sausage etc.  Meat that is very moist.  

As for the shakes, try adding some Torani or Divinci syrups to them to kind of help the flavor.  Try making your own with unflavored protein.  I like to put ice, almond milk, sugar free pudding, and unflavored protein powder in a blender and mix.  It takes a long time to drink it down, but sipping it keeps me satisfied and I get my water and protein in.  I also actually like the EAS Advantage Carb Control shakes.  The french vanilla is my favorite, the strawberry is my husbands.  

Another thing I do is I do not eat in the den in front of the TV.  I take my food to our living room where I have a puzzle going on the coffeetable.  I take a bite, work the puzzle, take a bite, work the puzzle.  This slows me down and I am more conscious of when I feel "satisfied".  

ALWAYS keep a drink with you.  I always have a bottle of water or a powerade zero on hand.  You can get a 24 pack of Powerade Zero for right at $14 at sam's club.  

Good luck and if the pain continues call your doc.  You could possibly have an obstruction.  
www.kasleeved.com the (almost) daily journey after VSG

Eat to live, don't live to eat.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views