Gallbladder!!!

jessajess82
on 2/19/12 11:17 am - MO
 I will be 7 months out on Tueday.  So far I am extremely pleased with my results.  I have lost 93 pounds since surgery.  I eat right, use myfitnesspal religiously, work out 6 days a week, and have really focused myself on having an overall healthy mental state(cutting negative people out). 

2 weeks ago as I was in bed I got an intense pain.  It lasted 2 hours without letting up and I went to the ER because I had no clue what it was.  Turns out it's my gallbladder.  They said it wasn't inflamed so no emergency surgery.  Went back to my sleeve surgeon, had some tests run and I am scheduled to get surgery on March 8th. 

I have had a total of 3 of these gallbladder attacks.  They are MISERABLE.  I am also finding out that this is very common in weight loss surgery patients. 

Does anyone have any tips on what to do when they start?  I hate to keep taking the pain meds.  And I try to not eat things that would cause them but I can't even pinpoint what caused the 3 that I have had.  This evening I had one.  My food intake consisted of an apple, half of a turkey sandwich, hardboiled egg and some peanut butter.  I can only think that maybe it was the peanut butter because of the high fat content.  I just assumed it was ok bc it's good fat.  

Any insight would be helpful.  And why is this so common in WLS patients?!?!?
DonnaK12
on 2/19/12 11:27 am - Brooklin, Canada
RNY on 04/25/12
Not sure if this will help. I had mine out in 1993.  The peanut butter for sure and maybe even the apple because of the acid.  I remember drinking some milk as it seemed to coat it.  I was sure glad when I got it out.
Good luck

moonglo82
on 2/19/12 11:50 am
VSG on 03/29/12
My understanding is that WLS patients are more likely to have gall bladder problems because of how quickly we lose the weight. Some surgeons make their patients take medication after surgery to help prevent gall stones (my husband had to take Actigal, but I'm glad he did, because he hasn't had a single problem with this yet, and he's over a year out). I really don't know enough to explain why this is, I just remember that was the jist of it.

Anyways, I hope you get to feeling better soon!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

newme2011-2012
on 2/19/12 12:46 pm
I had had 2 attacks before my sleeve surgery. so I elected to have mine out when I had my sleeve done. It did not have stones, but it was full of sludge. I feel so much better not having it anymore.
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

Phatchick
on 2/19/12 9:13 pm - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12
I got my attacks at night because of the way I laid. I switched the position and I stopped getting the attacks at night. Stay away from Fats and raw food. I ate a sald once and wanted to kill myself. The pain meds did not touch the pain for me. The surgey is magic. Take care. Sharon

Tenacious88
on 2/19/12 10:02 pm - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 02/05/14
Hi: Rapid weight lost can cause gall stones. Some doctors remove the gallbladder during WLS and some don't, to prevent additional complications. Some patients take Ursodiol medicine after WLS to prevent the formation of gall stones. I don't think what you were eating caused gall-stones, it has to due more with the WLS and the changes that are going on in your body, after surgery.
Well best wishes on your surgery and a speedy recovery.

"We as Losers need to have Bull Dog Tenacity to win the war against obesity"                  

bigtigger1010
on 2/19/12 10:03 pm - Laurel, MD
VSG on 04/05/12
ur right... they r most often triggered by high fat foods... good fat or bad fat the gallbladder doesn't know the difference, all it knows is it needs to secrete bile to break that fat down... so deff keep fat to an absolute minimum til ur surgery and good luck :-)

HW:344  SW:329  CW:207.8  Losses: pre-op - 15/ post-op - 121.2        
M1 -  25      M2 -  18    M3 -  14.2    M4  - 11.8     M5   - 14      M6  -  9.6
M7 -  6.6     M8 -  7.0   M9 -  5.6      M10 - 7.8      M11 - 1.6+      M12- ??    

dianne220
on 2/19/12 10:58 pm - TX
VSG on 10/02/12
I would lay down with a pillow in the base of my back.  Basically my back was arched pretty high.  It hurts so bad.  I was 27 weeks pregnant when I got mine out and it felt so much better!  So that's something I won't have to worry about if I every have surgery, lol.  I've been denied 2x and they sent my paperwork off last monday to get approval again.  Good luck!
Carmelita
on 2/20/12 1:32 am, edited 2/20/12 1:37 am - Four Corners, NM
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 80 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 294 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 344 views