Update and a Couple of Odd Questions.. a lil long

kahlana
on 3/16/12 5:35 pm - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
Just a quickie update as I have been so freaking busy I haven't had much chance to hang out here the past couple of days.
The BMI is finally out of the 30s i am at 28% so YAY and my muscle mass is up to 36% so even though I gained a couple of pounds in the last day or 2 I am okay with it. Apparently I am retaining water (according to my nifty scale) so I'm not freaking out.
My hair is really beginning to fall out now which is pretty cool in my world since I have suuuuuuper thick curly hair normally and with spring so warm already I was dreading having that half ton of hair to deal with in the summer heat.
I have actually gotten to do some real fishing this month and I brought home a big fat 16.5 inch walleye tonight. Kicked butt on the honey and kiddo's 15 inchers heheheh. I am happiest sitting by the river with a pole and a bucket of minnows so that has been just the mini-vacation I needed after the week from hell. And I am loving the fact that I can sit in a lawn chair and have room on either side of my hips. I love not catching the arms of the chair everytime I stand up.
i am loving all the energy I have to be up at 6am and spend my morning sorting stuff for a yard sale, can go fishing for 4 hours, stop at Walmart to do a little shopping, do laundry when I get home, and scrub down the entire bathroom and still have the energy to hang out here for a little while before I hit the hay. I had forgotten how wonderful it was to feel so good lately. I love my sleeve!!!

Now for the questions...
1.) recently i have started having bruises pop up in the weirdest places, one of my thumbs and a finger on one hand and a finger on the other hand being the oddest so far although I have brusies on my chest for no reason I can think of and also one along the side of my right foot. I know I am a clutz on ocassion but so far I can't think of any incident where I have hit myself hard enough to causes brusing. Any ideas as to why I might start getting bruises out of nowhere? A vitamin I need to beef up on maybe?
2.) Over the last 2 days I have develoed a fine red rash on my tummy, legs, and triceps. It doesn't itch, its not hot, I don't think I have developed a sudden allergy because its not all over. Just pretty much in the places I mentioned. Again wondering if it might be a vitamin I need to boost up.
3.) In the last week and a half I have been getting these little "pinchy" feelings in my arms, fingers, toes, and legs. Not painful but like someone plucked a hair with a tweezers on me. I dont really have any other syptoms of anything unusual other than those mentioned already. Does  anyone have any idea what might be the problem?

I feel fine, (tired from too much busy stuff) my brain seems to be functioning normally, I am not stressed out over much of anything except my job (which I am praying daily will fire me for whatever reason that will let me get unemployment while i get registered for college again) except for the insomnia of course. I just want to make sure I am not missing anything. My current vitamin regimine is 1500 mg calcium, 28mg Iron, B12 1000mg twice a week, a B complex daily, and a multivitamin 3 times a day. All my labs from 2 weeks ago were fine with my iron off just a little but enough for me to need to  add the extra iron in. I dont see my surgeon, nut or pcp for at least another month and a half unless its a life or death emergency. Just would rather up my vitamins rather than go to the doc if I don't have to. Any ideas greatly appreciated!

My Blog My Facebook

katier825
on 3/16/12 9:34 pm
Sounds like you are doing pretty well! The only thing I have to offer in response to your questions is for the bruising...try some Arnica Montana. I just had a BL/BA and was given a "recovery pack" of vitamins/herbal supplements that included the Arnica. I had very little bruising and only on one side, which I think is because of the Arnica. They are tiny pills that you take 3 pills 3x a day, dissolve under the tongue. I think as we lose our padding, we bruise a little easier..my own thoughts anyway.

Glad you are out enjoying life!
The New Mrs
on 3/16/12 9:39 pm - Mooresville, NC
VSG on 02/09/12
I would call your doctor and get your levels checked.  A couple of the things you mentioned sound like low iron to me.   Not that I'm a doc or a nurse or anything like that.  The hair loss, the skin itching, the weird feelings in yoru arms.  Worth getting blood drawn to make sure all of your levels are correct. 

Google simptoms of low iron, and you can see that it might be your issue.

Good luck!
Julie
Lap Band Surgery 12/19/2009, revised to Sleeve 2/9/2012

Next goal:  183
Ms. Poker Face
on 3/16/12 10:04 pm
I second the advice to see your doc and get your labs checked.   It can't hurt and then you'll know for sure.

I bruise a lot easier post op than I ever used to.  I could bump into something HARD before VSG and have no bruising.  Now, I don't remember bumping into ANYTHING and I have bruises.  It could be the reduction in our padding making our blood vessels closer to the surface.  Less insulation!!  Which also means I'm freezing all the time.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

MargeAD
on 3/16/12 10:44 pm - CA
I also think you should see your doc. However you may want to add vitamin K to your diet. Some calcium supplements come with this already in it.

kahlana
on 3/17/12 2:04 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
Hey thanks for the responses gang. Will call and ask for labs to be scheduled ASAP. In the meantime i'll give the Anica a try and up my iron just a little too. And I'll add the K back in too and see how I feel with that.

My Blog My Facebook

kimbethin
on 3/17/12 6:20 am - CA
Your magnesium and potassium may be low too.  Talk to your doc about supplements before you make too many changes.   Almonds are high in magnesium, if you are eating nuts, bananas are good for potassium. Remember to watch out for constipation with iron supplements.
putting one foot in front of the other...        
kahlana
on 3/17/12 2:17 pm - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
Kim i think you maybe right about the magnesium. That was a bit of an issue (but not enough to freak over) before the surgery and may be getting exaserbated by the surgery now.  All the supplements I have are fairly low dose so I think I will be ok adding a couple of them back in to see if it helps. My doc told me before surgery that I would be okay sticking with the minimum doseages before surgery so i should be alright now as well if i stay with the RDA on them until i can have my next set of labs done. Anyway, will be calling my pcp on Monday to see what she says.

My Blog My Facebook

kimbethin
on 3/17/12 6:53 pm - CA

I hope you get some good answers soon. Let us know how you do.

putting one foot in front of the other...        
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 300 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 347 views