Almost 3 years out from my VSG

LauriTheRN
on 3/18/12 10:40 pm
 Hi everyone, It's been a long time since I've posted but I'm back. This forum was my constant support starting 1 year prior to me having my surgery and the motivation that it provided me is what I have been lacking lately. So I'm back to give and get support from all of you that are going through similar life experiences that I've had. I've lost 121 lbs. total. My current weight is 186.5 lbs. It has been tough after the first year, when I lost the majority of the weight. Old habits are hard to break, even with a smaller stomach. My advice for those that are thinking about the surgery or just recently out from the surgery is not to think that the surgery will be the only thing needed to lose and keep the weight off. It takes a complete lifestyle change. If you go back to old habits you will continue to struggle with keeping the weight off. If anyone wants to buddy up with me I am here to get and offer support.

I'm back!

121 lbs. lost since surgery June 2009.
Ms. Poker Face
on 3/18/12 10:47 pm
Welcome back!  I had surgery exactly 2 years after you!  Sleeve sisters from different years!!

I'm much less experienced at this than you, but I have taken the stance all along that this is more than just stomach surgery.  I need a total eating transformation, a complete lifestyle change, and lots of work on the mental side.  I'm in counseling and am a work in progress, but I can already see changes.  It's scary sometimes, but also really cool to discover new stuff about myself and my eating and my exercise, etc.  I often felt physical hunger, regardless of what and how much I ate.... but I also ate way too much and ate when I was not truly hungry.  My non-physical-hunger food triggers are numerous, but so worth working on to figure them out and make changes.

Glad you came back!!  You have done FABULOUS losing 121 pounds!!!  Don't forget that.  Keep on keepin' on!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

firefly2000
on 3/18/12 11:29 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/20/12
 Wow! 121lbs lost, that's awesome! Welcome back to the OH family. Your story reminds us all that WLS alone will only get you so far. You have to make a complete lifestyle change in order to keep on top of your game! Breaking old habits is really hard to do. You must surround yourself with positive people that share similar goals. So you've come to the right place! 

Reaching out to the OH family has definitly helped me with my desicion to have WLS. (surgery is tomorrow!) and I am looking forward to giving, and receiving continued support throughout this amazing journey! Welcome home!
Lesley

howarli
on 3/19/12 12:02 am - MD

Great to have you back.  I so agree with you.  This is a lifestyle change.  My husband knows now that eating is no longer a big deal for me.

onemoretry
on 3/19/12 12:27 am - GA
VSG on 03/21/12
Welcome Back Lauri! Looking forward to getting to know you. Congrats on the weight loss!
HT: 5'4"      HW: 251  SW: 237  CW: 172 GW: 135 
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
"You can control how much water you drink, how much protein/carbs/cals you consume, and how much you exercise. FOCUS on those and not the scale, because no matter how hard we try, we do not control the scale." ~  acbbrown

MargeAD
on 3/19/12 12:36 am - CA
Congratulations and welcome back!

PrettyEyes_41
on 3/19/12 1:33 am - MS
VSG on 06/12/12
121 lbs - AWESOME JOB! Sounds like you are doing lots of things right. Can't wait to join everyone on the losers bench but I feel like at least I'm a bit of a loser with my insurance diet I'm on. Looking forward to seeing you here.

Gale     Age: 55, Height: 5' 5.5", HW: 236, SW: 210, 1st GW: 150.  Surgery BMI: 39.3  Extremely HBP, High Cholesterol & borderline diabetic.      

(deactivated member)
on 3/19/12 1:42 am
We had surgery seven days apart, I had mine on 6/29/09 and I could not agree with you more on your comments that this is a lifestyle change and that surgery alone is not enough for most of us.  I work at my maintenance every single day.  Sometimes it's easier than others, but I have to keep doing it for life whether or not I "feel" like it.  Sometimes I through a hissy fit and stomp my foot and shake my fist in the air because it doesn't seem fair that I still have to work at it at almost three years out.  Sometimes I am overcome with a feeling of gratitude that this surgery was there for me and that it has provide the tool I needed to make this work in the long run.  But no matter how I feel on any particular day, I mostly do the "work" of maintenance and in the end, that's all that counts because when we chose the behaviors we also choose the consequences.  I know that I am preaching to the choir, but it's kind of fun to preach a little.  :)
Jane B.
on 3/19/12 2:23 am - Strathmore, Canada
VSG on 01/11/12 with
Welcome back!

it is really good for those of us who are just starting our journey to learn from the experience of those who are further out.  I know this is a tool, and I know that I can never go back to eating the way I did before, but knowing it and doing it are two different things.  So, when I get to my goal I will continue to rely on advice and encouragement to stay the course.

HW: 243 SW:228 GW:160
"I want to really live, not just be putting in time"    

Most Active