Whats the hurry?

getmylifeback12
on 3/22/12 9:29 pm - NY
After feeling very frustrated with my scale I went for a long walk...( I get my best thinking done while Im walking) and I came to this conclusion ...for myself of course. WHATS THE HURRY?
I know that most of us are excited and we want the weight off NOW. But, why? This is a life long journey. You know, I do everything right, Im counting carbs, protein, fat, calories, even sugar content. Im exercising (walking 4 miles 5X a week, plus weights.) Why should the stupid scale punish me because after walking 4 miles I want one SMALL 120 calorie lemon pudding. I should not feel so guilty because I had one small treat. Not every day mind you, like once a week, if that. So, because of that lemon pudding ( at least thats what I tell myself) the scale does not move ...or even goes up a few ounces...so what? I'm not in a hurry. I have to live my life. I got this surgery to live like a normal person, normal people have little pudding cups right? I'm tired of beating myself up, so what if it takes a year to lose the weight instead of 6 months...As long as the scale is going in the right direction. Why do I feel like its not good enough if I have only lost 2 pounds in a week instead of 5? From this point forward Im not going to be in a rush...I hope.
galiaire
on 3/22/12 9:36 pm - Australia
I have lost 105lbs in 2 years.  And I am thrilled.  I've been on a stall for the last six months and finally started losing again now.  It's taken me a long time, and I've still got another 80-odd lbs to go, but I will take the loss when it comes, and focus all my energy on being grateful I had the surgery, and grateful that the weight is coming off at all after 16 years of being overweight! 

You're exactly right when you say 'whats the hurry' because there is no hurry, other then our own excitement. 

And you're also right to say you had the surgery to live like a normal person, and normal people enjoy puddings sometimes! 

So I say enjoy your puddings (which it sounds like you're doing in moderation anyway) and enjoy your weightloss!

I believe it will all work out okay in the end.  If it's not okay, it's not the end.

Vivian Prouty
on 3/22/12 9:36 pm - Fort Worth, TX
 The only thing that I can say is after that one year mark ( honeymoon period ) it is MUCH HARDER to lose the weight.   Don't ask me why because all I know is it is true.    Sounds like to me you a a very smart person.   This IS a lifetime journey but you want to re-gain your health ASAP.     Congrats on your good thinking and keep doing what you are doing and BTW....the pudding isn't going to hurt you.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

sweettooth58
on 3/22/12 9:43 pm - IL
This is what they mean for Life Changing habits!!!
I understand where you are coming from and that is one of the reasons why I want the surgery so I can be satisfied with one small pudding, I have changed my eating habits and doing much better but I still want to have a piece of cake at a birthday party and not feel so guilty. But to be satisfied with one small piece instead of a large one I think that is a big part of this...
Ms. Poker Face
on 3/22/12 10:16 pm
Nope, it's not the one lemon pudding.  It's the many lemon puddings and other things we tend to add back to our diets too quickly that add up over time.  (Speaking from experience here)

You are also right that it's not a race.  If you stick to your plan, the weight WILL come off.  Weighing too often can make you crazy.  I weigh daily but it doesn't make me crazy (well, most of the time! :)

BUT, I will say it's important to maximize your success in the first 6 months or so.  That was my magical honeymoon period.  The weight just melted off.  But, I also used that time to build good habits. 

Only you can determine what success looks like and how well you do!  Commitment and compliance to a good post op plan is key!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

frisco
on 3/22/12 11:19 pm

You can do anything you want to do...... This is what you make it.......

For me.... and what worked for me was a whole different mentality. In a way it was a race..... A race against my body not wanting to lose anymore weight.

To me..... read again me.....what you have written is a maintenance mentality.

I/we have seem many that come short of making goal and wish they gave the early months a better try.

Example: Some have deviated from plan the first six months and could have lost 20 or so more pounds. In the end it is common to see the same person come 20lbs. short......Happens a lot actually.

That said...there have been a few that took a more liberal approach and did well....most don't do so well....how lucky do you feel....

My suggesting would be to consider going hard core till goal......Than live like a normal person in maintenance at goal weight.

Personally...I don't subscribe to the "I got this surgery to live like a normal person" line. Get to normal weight than live more like normal.

We are/were so fat..... we needed surgical intervention.....does it get any worse than that? Did the moderation thing work before?

Just something to think about....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Debra P.
on 3/23/12 12:09 am - CA
VSG on 03/15/12
 There is no rush... but why are you choosing the 120 calorie pudding cup over the 70 calorie pudding cup?
There are choices, we choose what to put in our mouths, choose wisely.   

Kevin H.
on 3/23/12 12:13 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 There is kind of a rush for me.  My surgeon and everyone on here has said that the weight loss becomes much harder and slows down anywhere from 6 months to 1 year post op.  I want to loose as much as possible before that time comes.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views