If EVERYTHINg your family does revolves around food...

skinniwithin
on 4/1/12 10:52 am
 I just joined this community and in the three days I've been lurking I have learned so much.  My cousin in Australia had a VSG about a year ago, has lost 45 kg and is almost at goal  She looks beautiful and when I saw her on FB I knew I had to explore this so here I am.

From all I've learned this method is the one I think would work best for me as I don't like the malabsorption issues the other methods have.

I am morbidly obese.  Every.single.thing our family does revolves around food and unless I find another job, work does too.  We entertain a lot, there is always food, we visit family or friends - more food, dh and I belong to a gourmet dinner club - more and more food, go to temple - more food, and everywhere I go, I eat, and eat, and eat.  I get together with friends and it's more food.

So I guess my question is, how do you socialize when food is out of the equation?
sleevegirl
on 4/1/12 11:13 am - Austin, TX
You eat if it's time and there are good options and you learn to carry the conversation or talk more or do other things other than go out and eat. It's a whole lifestyle change, but at the same time, I'm still a HUGE foodie. I love going out to fancy restaurants... only now I order a few small plates and dessert instead of an app, small plates, entree, cheese course, dessert, etc etc.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

frisco
on 4/1/12 11:32 am

Most people have issues surrounding WL..........

It's up to you and how bad you want it......

Ain't gonna happen with a partial effort.....

At least you know what your challenges are.... some don't find out till later.

To be honest....after doing it..... your situation doesn't sound to difficult.....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Jackie00
on 4/1/12 11:34 am
I am on vacation and with family that think as soon as the buffet area opens up they need food, don't think I list a pound in two weeks lol. The waiters have a hard time when I say jus****er with my meals, its easier then saying nothing. They kept asking me if my food was ok cause there was so much left. I told them I am saving room for dessert which I only went to three a la carte restaurants in two weeks so not much for treats.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

BETHC500
on 4/1/12 12:09 pm
You have to plan ahead. My family is the same way. Every event revolves around food. I just make sure that I have a plan. I bring something that I can eat or I make something I can eat. I focus more on visiting and not on whats there to eat. I stay away from the food/snack table. I pay attention to what I eat. I find that as long as I have a plan I can control my impulse cravings when they are close by.  The craving is only a passing thought now so its not as hard to control. Focus on the relationship and less on the food. You can still eat but you eat healthier. Hope the info helps... Good luck

KathyA999
on 4/1/12 12:15 pm
One of the things we learn is that things won't change just because we had surgery - your family and social life will very likely still revolve around food.  But I've found that there is ALWAYS a food option I can eat.  We even went to a famous local Italian restaurant known for its pizza for my brother's birthday, and 14 people at the table wanted pizza, so that's what we ordered.  I ate the toppings and left the crust, and was completely happy.

Early out when you're in the liquid or puree stage, you may need to plan your approach - either take something with you, eat in advance, or even order things (if you're in a restaurant) that you can eat, like soup.

One point - don't let this issue stop you from deciding the surgery is right for you, if that's what you decide.  As Frisco said, where there's a will there's a way, and you'll figure it out.  This awesome board is here to help.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

hollykim
on 4/1/12 12:15 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Why would you think "food is out of the question"? We learn to eat to live not live to eat...

GL

kimbethin
on 4/1/12 1:50 pm - CA
You really can do it with that kind of family and friends.  You learn how to eat what is right for you and the restriction and protein first rules make it easier to eat properly and the right amounts.  My family and friends seem to completely get it, except for one really sweet guy who always seems to be afraid I haven't had enough to eat.  Like the other posters have said when you really want it, you make it work for you.  Good luck!
putting one foot in front of the other...        
PBJ
on 4/1/12 2:40 pm
You totally can do it...if you want it bad enough!

WE still have food at all of our things..I just have better choices.  And when better choices are not available for me, I do without or bring my own.  Any situating is do able if you want to!

This is the best thing that I have ever done for me!

good luck

Patty
My weight loss journey                                                    
Rouxful
on 4/1/12 3:10 pm
 I enjoy food just as much now as before surgery. You just eat less, it's really that simple. When you're sleeved, you can still make poor choices or the right choices. I can fill my sleeve with chicken or cookies; it's really up to me. So if you guys are entertaining and you're sleeved, go ahead and eat! Just make sure you're eating the right things. 

HW 403 / SW 372 / CW 204 / GW 199    

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 70 views