Has anyone heard of Miracle Noodles?

Feystorm
on 4/2/12 11:31 am - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
 My friend sent me a Weigh****chers recipe that called for these - and supposedly they are no calories, all fiber noodles.  People are raving about them on the WW site. 

Has anyone heard of them?  
I was a big pasta eater previously, and knew I'd be giving it up.  But if these are ok, maybe I won't always have to. 

http://www.miraclenoodle.com/default.aspx 

There's the link.  If you have heard of them or tried them, please let me know. 

Thanks!

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

kam0520
on 4/2/12 11:34 am - AL
I haven't heard of this brand, but I know that the Hungry Girl uses Shirataki noodles in a lot of her recipes.  You have to pat them dry and she said they have a weird smell and texture you have to get used to, but she uses them in a LOT of recipes and on her show.  

I've always wanted to try them but never have.  I believe they are tofu and so they kind of take on whatever flavor you put with them.  
www.kasleeved.com the (almost) daily journey after VSG

Eat to live, don't live to eat.
ELevyNJ
on 4/2/12 11:35 am - NJ
From Wkiipedia

Shirataki (白滝?, often written with the hiragana しらたき) are very low carbohydrate, low calorie, thin, translucent, gelatinous traditional Japanese noodles made from devil's tongue yam (elephant yam or the konjac yam).[1] The word "shirataki" means "white waterfall", describing the appearance of these noodles. Largely composed of water and glucomannan, a water-soluble dietary fiber, they have little flavor of their own.

Shirataki noodles can be found both in dry and soft "wet" forms in Asian markets and some supermarkets. When wet, they are purchased pre-packaged in liquid. They normally have a shelf life of up to one year. Some brands may require rinsing or par-boiling as the water they are packaged in has an odor that may be unpleasant to those not accustomed to it.

Alternatively, the noodles can be drained and dry roasted. This gets rid of the aku (bitterness). It also makes the noodles have a more pasta like consistency. Dry roasting is done by placing noodles in a non-stick skillet on high for a minute or until you hear a slight squeaking noise when moving them around. After that they are ready to be added to soup stock or have a sauce added to them.[2]

There are two types of shirataki noodles sold in the United States. Traditional shirataki noodles have zero net carbohydrates, no food energy, and no gluten, and they are useful for those on low-carbohydrate diets.[3] Tofu-based shirataki-style noodles are becoming increasingly popular in U.S. supermarkets and health food stores. They have a much shorter shelf life and require refrigeration even before opening. Tofu-based noodles contain a minimal amount of carbohydrate.[4]

kam0520
on 4/2/12 11:35 am, edited 4/1/12 11:38 pm - AL
after I posted that I found this link to her review of them, just a different brand: http://www.hungry-girl.com/biteout/show/2157

She actually talks about the miracle noodles too in this article, toward the bottom. :)

www.kasleeved.com the (almost) daily journey after VSG

Eat to live, don't live to eat.
katie M.
on 4/2/12 11:41 am
VSG on 03/29/12
 Sounds like it could be worth a try!  Also, if you never have, try spaghetti squash in leau of pasta....Delish!
Prple
on 4/2/12 12:02 pm, edited 4/2/12 12:06 pm - VA
VSG on 07/17/12 with
 Funny you asked... Haven't tried but had come across this Ina brand called NoOodles while surfing yesterday....  Anyway was reading about this original Japanese food and found some interesting info and a great recipe at

http://www.justhungry.com/konnyaku-garlic-olive-oil-and-chili-peppers-konnyaku-aglio-olie-e-peperoncino

edelu
on 4/2/12 12:03 pm - los angeles, CA
They are  gross and no matter how much you wash them they smell unpleasantly fishy.
Prple
on 4/2/12 12:10 pm - VA
VSG on 07/17/12 with
 Justhungry talks about rinsing and then doing a parboil... Rinse... Pat dry to take car of the residual odor.

Have a friend in Melborne AU that enjoys these noodles... I have yet to try so don't know.

edelu
on 4/2/12 1:33 pm - los angeles, CA
You can wash, boil, par boil until the 12th of never and they still smell like a fishy mess. Spaghetti squash is a good alternative.
Wildcat-NYC
on 4/2/12 12:34 pm
VSG on 08/16/12
They are horrible.  I washed and washed and washed them and finally gave up and just used them.  I couldn't chew them enough to actually swallow them.  They tasted like rubberized fish (and I really, really hate fish)...
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 70 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 262 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 325 views