Is sugar really public enemy #1?

slimpickins5280
on 4/27/12 12:30 pm - CO
I believe it does have something to do with sweating because they did the test right after my brother had worked out.

I'm no doctor, so I can't can't break it out to a molecular level.

All I know is it worked.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

Mermaid7
on 4/27/12 4:21 pm
Along this train of thought I've run into an interesting realm:  The Weston A. Price Foundation which promotes better health through nourishing foods.  Very interesting, check it out.  I now understand why raw whole fat dairy is so important and why fat free is very harmful.  Balancing the calories is tricky, but in the end worth it.  Basic, simple foods, unprocessed, local.  It seems better for humans and better for the planet.

Pooch2
on 4/27/12 5:08 pm
Good presentation; I don't know if sugar is a toxin or if it causes problems with insulin sensitivity....but I do know this;  I am a sugar addict or I became one.   At the scene of every diet failure, sugar or a highly refined carbohydrate with lots of sugar in it, was right there swashing around in my mouth!!   To tell the truth, one teaspoon is really too much for me because when I am taking it, a ton is never enough!!!   I have probably only had a teaspoon or two since surgery but that would have come from it being in foods I ate, like I bought some Turkey meatballs........I thought I could trust turkey meatballs, to lazy to read the ingredients until while eating them I questioned why they seemed a little high in calories, compared to other meats....sugar....there still sitting in my freezer.   Sugar is my enemy, we must stay apart.... I hope and pray, I can live with the natural sugars in fruit and grains and some healthy breads and keep main line sugar and hollow empty carbs that are boosted up with sugar, OUT OF MY LIFE, sugar and I are divorced and if I try and date sugar again, I will might  as well be playing with fire...its just that simple.  (your mileage may vary)   Its as bad for me as abusing any pleasure drug out there....if try a little, I want more and right now, sugar just simply screws with my brain more then any other food!!!  
HW: 425    SW: 337   CW: 262 GW: 217 (surgeon)  
Pre-surgery loss; 88 lbs (mostly in my required 6 month insurance class)
ruggie
on 4/28/12 4:28 am - Sacramento, CA
Speaking as a biochemist, here's how I think about sugar -

Eating large amounts of sugar spike our insulin, and tell our body to store excess energy as fat.

Eating large amounts of fat and protein do not do this - we continue to burn fat.

(In a simplified nutshell).

Also, fructose - ever present in our food supply because we subsidize corn production and that makes high-fructose corn syrup so damn cheap - fructose, in humans, is directly converted into fatty acids in the liver, potentially leading to heart disease.

Yes, I think if any one single thing is the enemy, it's sugar, especially as a refined, simple carbohydrate.  This is what breaks our pancreas - this is why industrialized countries are suffering epidemics of diabetus.  

IF you have a familiarity with science / biology / biochemistry / nutrion and you can commit an hour-and-a-half, I strong recommend watching this YouTube video by a UCSF professor who labels sugar as a toxin, explains how the body processes it, and the laws that make sugar so easy and cheap in our food.   Highly recommend this video.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

hwag5149
on 4/28/12 4:33 am
I love it when you talk nerd to me :)

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

ruggie
on 4/28/12 4:43 am - Sacramento, CA
I've had *** hags before, but not so much science-hags.... oh well, one must roll with the times, I suppose....

hwag5149
on 4/28/12 4:49 am
I'm a little of both... ;) I just can't help myself.

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

Ms. Poker Face
on 4/28/12 4:46 am
That is fascinating!  Sugar = evil.

ALso, LOL'd at diabetus!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

INgirl
on 4/28/12 5:00 am
I LOVE that talk by Dr. Lustig, so glad you linked it! I posted that on FB a while back and had friends a little mad at me since it totally burst their bubble.. Plus something that everyone vilifies- fructose or HFCS. Yeah, table sugar=1/2 fructose.. Sugar is indeed a toxin, as much as alcohol is to the liver and body.. can we avoid it completely- no, but we don't need to go out of our way to add it to anything either.

ruggie
on 4/28/12 5:48 am - Sacramento, CA
First, I think if you had friends get angry over that video, then it has helped serve it purpose. :)

But yes, that video helped me to stop drinking beer (I did keep my alcohol toxin and switch to wine) and I stopped shovling in giant portions of low-fat or fat-free (high sugar) frozen yogurt into my gullet.  

They sell those *** er, friggers by weight, right?  Well I'd often weigh up a pound of frozen yogurt (or maybe even 17, 18 ounces) with all my toppings.... how many hundreds of grams of sugar do you think was in one of those cups?   Probably one-to-two hundred grams of simple sugar, all RUSHING into my blood stream, it  was surprising I could never hear my pancreas scream....

Most Active