HUMMUS

MichelleChoinski
on 4/30/12 4:30 am, edited 4/30/12 4:31 am - NY
I want to try it.  I actually used to make it in the restuarant I worked at but never tried it!!!

Do you have a recipe or if store bought.....which is your favorite?

Wildcat-NYC
on 4/30/12 4:38 am
VSG on 08/16/12
I like Sabra original or roasted red pepper.
MichelleChoinski
on 4/30/12 4:47 am - NY
What do you eat it on or with?
I used to make it with a pita pocket filled with greens.  I can't eat that at this point :-(

moxiecowgirl
on 4/30/12 5:27 am - Blue Springs, MO
RNY on 01/14/13
I like Sabra, almost any flavor, but my favorite hummus by far is Trader Joe's...yummy!

I don't much care for hummus on bread products.  Seems like a bit much in the starchiness department for me.  I prefer celery or baby carrots for dipping.  My kids really like pretzels.

Man...now I'm craving hummus!  I know what I'm having for an afternoon snack.

Starting weight: 335  Surgery day weight: 304.6  Current weight: 229.6  Goal weight: 145 

Jackie F.
on 4/30/12 6:47 am - Pico Rivera, CA
VSG on 03/09/12
Fresh and easy brand - cilantro lime flavor is so yummy!
HW: 275 GW: 130

hrford
on 4/30/12 7:35 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 Because hummus has more carbs than I care for but I LURVE it, I mix a tbsp of hummus with a tbsp of greek yogurt and then eat it on cucumber "chips".  Tasty and good for me.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

Cortnee Z.
on 4/30/12 7:49 am - Murrieta, CA
VSG on 04/04/12
I do the same. I have cucumber chips I eat every day at lunch with a couple tbs of hummus and I get mine at Fresh and Easy too!! I also get mine from the local Farmer's Market. The brand is Baba Foods! They are great and have a TON of different kinds! It's a great place to try the flavors too if you have one near you!!

Have fun!

Cortnee 

"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn" Harriet Beecher Stowe

Blog: 
http://mysleeveandme.blogspot.com     MFP: CortneeZ
pinkpeonies
on 4/30/12 8:05 am
VSG on 04/23/12
I was thinking about hummus this morning...and wondering how it will fit into my new lifestyle. Because sure as it's made from chickpeas (which I'm going to try roasting this summer, along with various other vegetables) I'll find a way to make it fit into my new eating plan, carbs and all. Yummmm!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

5/27/14 - Extended abdominoplasty with hernia and diastasis recti repair

12/20/14 - Breast reduction/mastopexy with bra line back lift

JV_ladybug
on 4/30/12 10:34 am - San Antonio, TX
VSG on 04/10/12
I usually just get a can of the Goya chickpeas (the smaller one, not the large one). I rinse them well, then put them in a bowl. Depending on how lazy I'm feeling, I'll either mash them with a potato masher (it's good as a stress reliever AND good for your arms!) or put them in a food processor. If you want a creamier consistency, go with the processor. If you want it a bit more chunky, do it by hand. I add some good extra virgin olive oil, some lemon juice, a couple of cloves of garlic (I'm a garlic-holic), a little ground cayenne pepper and voila! I used to use hummus in lieu of mayo on sandwiches. So good!

I haven't tried hummus post-op yet. I'm just starting my soft foods phase, so maybe later down the line I'll try it. Hopefully my sleeve can handle it. If not, I'll drop off the rest of the hummus at my mom's. :)

It's a pretty easy recipe, plus you get to control what is put into it.

Starting: 284. Op Day: 264. Current: 185.80. Goal: 180.
Main goal: To be able to take the "morbidly" out.
Most Active