NET CARBS or CARBS listed??

TexasProud
on 5/14/12 12:24 am - Frisco, TX
When keeping your CARBS under 40, is this carbs minus fiber or the total carbs listed? I always subtract the fiber from the carbs and use that number. Should I just be using the total carbs?

rhearob
on 5/14/12 12:31 am - TN
 Carbs listed.  Personally, I don't do the "Net Carbs" business.  A carb is a carb, whether it's sugar or fiber.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

iAndy4G
on 5/14/12 12:43 am
VSG on 03/01/12 with
Most people on here will tell you a carb is a carb so they don't count net but you really should be counting net.

There is no physical or scientific way that ANY digestive system in a human being can digest fiber so they should not be counted. Fiber is not absorbed in the small intestine and your body needs fiber. The same people saying they don't count net carbs are also the same that will tell you to take Metamucil or something. Kinda crazy and a reverse logic.

rhearob
on 5/14/12 2:27 am - TN
 Respectfully disagree.  The term "Fiber" on nutrition labels can be misleading.  There are actually two types of fiber - soluble and insoluble.  Soluble fiber's are broken down through fermentation in the intestine and can contribute some energy to the body.  There is no real consensus on how much they add - depending on the specific source it could be up to the full 4 Cal/g that is used for carbohydrates.  Soluble fibers are the kind you get from fruit pulp, juices, beans, legumes, etc.

Insoluble fibers, like what you get from miralax, or the skins of some fruits and beans, is completely inert in the digestive tract.  The purpose it serves is to add bulk and provide mass for the muscles of the intestine to push against.  Fiber supplements typically will use exclusively insoluble finers for this purpose.

The US is one of the countries that allows nutrition labels to exclude calories from fiber in the calorie total on the label.  As a result for most of us, we could be understating our calorie count by whatever amount of soluble fiber is in our food.  Its likely small.

The bigger issue, is that carbs tend to make you crave carbs.  Some people are very sensitive to that and it is a major trigger for them.  The whole "Net Carbs" thing is generally just an accounting trick to justify eating more carbs.  Especially in the weight loss phase, you don't need to be focusing on anything more than protein.  If you are doing that, there shouldn't be any room left for many carbs anyway.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

iAndy4G
on 5/14/12 7:42 am, edited 5/14/12 7:43 am
VSG on 03/01/12 with
Agreed. But the question was which should you count and the answer is you SHOULD count net. The fact that fiber does not digest in the small intestine is not an accounting trick. And the fact that a nutritionist will tell you not to do net also does not make it fact. Some medical doctors with 8 years of medical school are still telling people that soda will expand your stomach!! LOL

The reason for both is it's always best to "keep it simple" as long as you tell yourself and others a carb is a carb or not to drink soda because it will expand your stomach and they keep themselves doing good behaviors and not bad that is all that matters.

ALL THAT being said. I don't count net carbs either, I keep it under 40 (very rarely 50) carbs a day but I do it just because it's easier to keep track more than anything.
Cindy22706
on 5/14/12 1:42 am - California, MD
VSG on 02/08/12
My nutritionist tells me not to count net.

Pat H.
on 5/14/12 2:09 am
I agree - count carbs not net carbs. Its a slippery slope and the kind of fiber can be manipulated to make a product more attractive to carb counters. If you are sensitive to carbs, and I am, I'd stay away from this game. I used Miralax which doesn't seem to have the carbs and kept things moving if constipation became a problem for me. Great job on your weight loss!

SW - 234.5  GW - 140.5   Met Goal on 5/7/12  

Krazydoglady
on 5/14/12 2:24 am - FL
I track both partially to ensure I get enough fiber.  During my main weightloss phase, I sayed under 40 total, about 25 net. Your body cannot convert fiber to energy. It's included in calorie counts because if you stick it over a bunson burner it will burn which is part of the definition of a kCal.  Ruminants with a 2nd stomach can break down fiber, but we can't.  Having said that, staying under 40 total keep you in the 20-30 net range, generally, which seems to be the sweet spot for low-carb weightloss.  

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Shagdoll
on 5/14/12 3:54 am, edited 5/14/12 3:55 am
I try not to eat my Atkins indulge bars that often since they tend to trigger me to want something more sweet but sometimes when I feel like I need to fullfil that sweet tooth, I will eat one. I know the package says "2 net carbs" but when I log them on to My Fitmess Pal, it does show I comsumed 17 carb grams. I try not to worry about it much since I usually stay below 40 carb grams daily when I do eat one of these protein bars. On days I don't eat one, I am usually between 20-30 carb grams, sometimes even 15-20.
But I do agree with a lot of the posts above. If you are carb sensitive, just be careful that it doesn't hinder your weight loss if it means you want to eat more sugar and/or carbs.
By the looks of your ticker, you are doing great on your weight loss.
Good luck to you!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/12 4:23 am
Count all the carbs, not net carbs.  Count all calories and don't subtract them from calories burned during exercise.  Go hard core, that is my advice every time.  You can do this. 
Most Active