Swimming postop

kfrain07
on 6/3/12 12:28 am - Fredericksburg, VA
 I'm scheduled to be sleeved on July 2! Yay! The only problem is my family has a beach trip scheduled for July 22:/. I know they say you shouldn't swim for 6 weeks but if my incisions are healed nicely would it be horrible to lounge around in the pool? Kind of disappointed that I won't be able to eat or swim or anything like I always have been able to. Hey, that's the price I pay for this though right?!

HW: 248 SW: 240 CW: 210
dec721
on 6/3/12 12:37 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
If your surgeon says don't swim for six weeks, don't swim for six weeks!!!  You are risking a horrible infection, and let me tell you from experience, you do NOT want one!  Please follow your doctor's rules.  He/she has them for a very good reason.
--Dorothy 

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

PBJ
on 6/3/12 12:39 am
I agree I would go with what your doc says.  But, I went on vacation 3 weeks after my sleeve and I swam each day.  I had my doc's approval.  I would ask him why not if he tells you no.
I didn't miss the food on vacation...just think of what you gained instead!  a new life!

Patty
My weight loss journey                                                    
kfrain07
on 6/3/12 12:42 am - Fredericksburg, VA
 I am a nurse so I guess what I should have said is te usual recovery time is six weeks for surgery What did your doctor suggest as far as swimming? I have my preop on thurs so I will ask then.  
jamiectone
on 6/3/12 12:54 am
 Hi....I am almost 2 weeks out from surgery and they told me no baths or swimming for one month.  It's killing me but it will be worth it.  You can always dangle your feet in....my nieces were visiting a few days after my surgery and this is what I did.  Not the same but you still get to participate.
smrt1997
on 6/3/12 1:28 am
 Your incisions may look healed from the outside, but it's what's going on on the inside that is most important. If you soak in water, it will cause your incision to shrivel/shrink just like your fingers do when in the water too long, that could open that incision right back up where the inside might not have completely healed. Follow your doctor's advice.

VSG 12-7-11                        

califsleevin
on 6/3/12 1:32 am - CA
I don't know who "they" are, but if that's your surgeon's team, then follow their directions. If "they" are random statements from these boards, then you should still follow your surgeon's directions. My doc's instructions was for no immersion until the incisions were fully closed, typically about three weeks but in my case there was still a bit of seepage from one incision that kept me out of the pool for four weeks. Then I was in the pool regularly starting to work back up to my former routine.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

moonglo82
on 6/3/12 1:41 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Think about how worth it this will be when you go back next time and can not only swim to your heart's content, but look and feel like a million bucks doing it. Definitely not a good idea to jeopardize what's coming later by hurting your chances of healing properly.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

kaniac
on 6/3/12 2:00 am - TX
VSG on 06/12/12
My doc said once my outsides are healed (approx 2 wks) I can get in the water but I have to take it easy. When it gets closer to time talk to your doc again.

HW: 270 SW: 234 CW: 168 GW: 150 

Krazydoglady
on 6/3/12 2:43 am - FL
My surgeon said 2 weeks for no swimming. I would check with your surgeon. 

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 235 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 308 views