Info from my doctors office on bougie size

grn_eyz74
on 7/5/12 2:14 pm - TX
VSG on 01/31/15
So after reeading a thread here the other day I sent an email to my doctors office checking to see what kind of bougie size my doctor uses so I would have some sort of idea. Here is the response from his nurse...

"

Susan,

All of our doctors use a size 24 french Bougie for our gastric sleeves. It is not only the sleeve size but also if you have a hiatal hernia and how they create the beginning of the sleeve. Each surgeon has their own technique. You need to understand that not everything you read on Obesity Help is correct. All surgeons have their own reasoning for using different sizes of the bougie. You can actually go and read real report on line about studies concerning bougie size if you really are concerned about it. We have been using this size for a long time and our patients do very well.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. "

The thread I was reading was talking about bougie sizes between 32-40 being the safest to use ( I think) so this is scaring me now. Do any of you have this size bougie? Should I be concerned and begin looking for a different doctor? The one I have chosen I have read nothing but good reviews on here in Houston, Texas, so that is why I chose him. Just getting more confused as I go through this road to getting my VSG.

~Susan~ 

(deactivated member)
on 7/5/12 2:21 pm
Could that be typo, I have never heard of a 24F being used.  That seems incredibly small.  Does she mean a 34F or maybe a 44F?  I would email her back and double check.
acbbrown
on 7/5/12 2:25 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 Ive never heard of a 24f either...that would be...dangerous? Probably a typo. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

bluerskies
on 7/5/12 2:28 pm
VSG on 06/25/12
 I asked my surgeon today about the size of my sleeve. He said it was a 32 French, which, he said was the smallest standard size. He didn't mention a 24 French.  Sorry I don't know more on the issue. Good luck making your final determination!

Jessica

moonglo82
on 7/5/12 2:35 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
I'm with Elina on this one... definitely double check. Never heard of a 24.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

grn_eyz74
on 7/5/12 2:41 pm - TX
VSG on 01/31/15
Thanks everyone, I thought that seemed small from what I have read on here. I am sending another email tomorrow to confirm this, I hope it was a typo. Thanks for the comments!
~Susan~ 

danzeppelin
on 7/5/12 2:48 pm
VSG on 08/15/12
I heard there was recently a standard that has been accepted. The smaller sizes where more prone to leak, and that a general standard was set and recommended...
For the most part the differences are very minute anyway.
Rouxful
on 7/5/12 3:03 pm
 24fr? Holy **** what does he use as a bougie, a piece of spaghetti?

Mine was 36fr, for reference.

HW 403 / SW 372 / CW 204 / GW 199    

doggz109
on 7/5/12 4:35 pm, edited 7/5/12 4:36 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
A 24?!!??!? holy ****! 

I think maybe they meant a 42.  In which case.....I would still say....holy **** 

I have a 36 and its been perfectly fine. 

CajunCuz
on 7/5/12 9:59 pm - VA
I agree ...I believe that it is a typo. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 79 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views