Timing eating and strenuous exercise

ib40
on 7/23/12 2:51 am
I've recently started boot camp classes and I'm enjoying it, but I have realized that I need to eat prior to going because I get really light-headed about 30 minutes in. I haven't been eating before class because I want to make sure my stomach is settled before running and jumping, etc. Protein drinks make me nauseous on a good day, so that isn't an option for me.

I'm thinking a small amount of dense protein about 90 minutes prior to class might be helpful. Has anyone else figured out the magic formula for fueling before strenuous exercise?

Pobearsam7
on 7/23/12 3:19 am
Wow!!! I'm looking into doing boot camp in the fall and they Start at 530am.... Hadn't thought about an eating plan schedule

Kelly                

loverofcats
on 7/23/12 4:19 am
Ideally, you want a mixture of some carbs and protein. Before weight training in the afternoon, I have some NF Greek Yogurt with some berries.  Seems to work for me. Try eating about one hour before class. You do need to have something in your system, so that you have the energy for the workout. If you do eat dense protein, allow for about 60 minutes.

I'm in maintenance, so I'm not afraid of some carbs. Plus, the exercise burns them up.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Waning Woman
on 7/23/12 5:03 am - TX
I agree with lover of cats about adding in a bit of carbs if its really high intensity. I used to have a few of the peanut butter cheese crackers before working out.
    Follow my journey at http://waningwoman.com/
Anne D.
on 7/23/12 6:21 am
I also agree with cat lover. If you are doing lower carb and working out, don't worry, it takes a bit of transition, but your body will learn to start using fat for fuel instead of carb. This is really good because, no upset stomach, you have plenty of fat stored, you want to lower fat anyway, you can eventually do long workouts like bike races, half marathons, etc without eating all the constant crap and gels that make your stomach upset anyway. A good website is marksdailyapple.com there is a forum, just look under exercising or training, whatever they call it. But there is transition. Best of luck!!

Most Active