Remove band, VSG, and Gallbladder removal

Amy 2bhealthy
on 8/30/12 6:22 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
I just found out I have gallstones, so my surgeon wants to go ahead and remove my gallbladder when he performs the band removal and revision to VSG. Anyone else have all three done with one surgery? In many ways, I am glad to have found this, so I won't have to have an additional surgery a couple months later after a gallbladder attack, but in others, I think, oh...just another item to deal with during my surgery too.

I am a bit nervous about the surgery, but I know it is what I need to do. We talked about the major risks being blood clots, bleeding, and leaks. My surgeon said I am at higher risk for bleeding because of the revision. I am just hopeful and keep praying that everything will go well without complications.

I have to do a 3 day liquid diet prior to the surgery, which I am super thrilled about! I had to do 1 week clear liquids before my band, so 3 day liquid will be no big deal. I've done that so many times when dealing with band slippage/prolapse anyways. So... September 13th, here I come! Two weeks from today!

Thanks for reading! 

Amy

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

LilSleeved
on 8/30/12 6:58 am
 You are lucky they are agreeing to do that for you! I am having my surgery on the 24th of Sept. Dr Metz in Colorado, told me the same about the increased risk of bleeding due to it being a revision. He also only requires a 3 day liquid diet! We are pretty lucky! Some doctors require 2 weeks!

Lost 271lbs with my LapBand in 22 months!  My Band malfunctioned and I gained almost 42lbs and then revised to the Sleeve 9/24/12!  I lost another 140 lbs with my Sleeve!  Loved the LapBand and Lovin' The Sleeve!

Amy 2bhealthy
on 8/30/12 7:08 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
I asked my Dr. if he could put me on meds for the gallbladder "just in case" to help reduce an issue after surgery and that led to him wanting an ultrasound to determine if I have gallstones. I was surprised to find out that I do, so that is why he wants to take it out along with my band/revision.

I was so excited/happy about the preop diet! I thought it was going to be 1-2 weeks clear liquids, which I obviously would have done, but I am glad I don't have to. I am trying to lose as much as possible by over the next week & a half before I start my liquids though. I am excercising 45 minutes a day (elliptical and walk/jog intervals) and eating 1200 calories, high protein, low carb, tons of water. I am hoping to lose another 5 lbs before my liquids, we will see.

Good luck on your surgery!! We will have surgery very close to one another!

Amy

Amy

red42897
on 8/30/12 8:00 am
VSG on 08/20/12
 I can't speak to the revision but I had my gallbladder and VSG last week Monday. I am 10 days out.  I was in a lot of pain after surgery but I think it was the VSG that the pain was caused from (and many people have no pain).  The gall bladder I have felt minimal pain from a few times but nothing bad at all.  

I will give you a little TMI though. When you "go" after surgery (which will probably be a lot since we are on liquids) you may have a lot of bile mixed in.  It is that acidy yellow stuff. That part has been pretty uncomfortable - bearable but not fun.  

Just to give you a heads up. Otherwise I am super thankful that he did both at the same time. 

HW:280 SW: 259 CW: 181.2

Amy 2bhealthy
on 8/30/12 7:11 pm, edited 8/30/12 12:11 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
Thanks for your reply, especially the TMI part. I didn't realize that could happen. Good to know instead of thinking something might be wrong. Thanks.

Good luck on your journey!

Amy

Amy

newme2011-2012
on 8/30/12 8:27 am
I had my gallbladder out with my VSG surgery.
No problems at all..
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

reneemosley
on 8/30/12 10:08 am - WA
VSG on 05/21/12
Not all three, but I had band removal and VSG in the same outpatient surgery. My band was in for 6 years before surgery and I did not have a single complication.

Normal to be nervous, follow surgeon and NUT advice and you'll do do great. Congrats!

Band 5/2006          Revision to VSG 5/2012

jacreasy
on 8/30/12 1:46 pm
VSG on 04/23/12
 Keep us updated... Good Luck I will be praying for you, you will do just fine! 

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views