6 weeks post op and lost

susanjean
on 9/6/12 6:16 am - IN
I had my 6 week post op appt yesterday.  I was happy I had lost 55.6 pounds, pre and post op so far.  But I am dissappointed that when I talked to the Nut, she told me I can go on a reg diet now and introduce foods back.  I asked her how many carbs, calories?  She said Oh dont worry about the calories and carbs,,,,,, just make sure your getting in 60 oz of protein and 64 oz of water daily.   No other instruction,,,,,, I am upset,,,,, I think during this whole process,,,,,, we should be learning more now about nutrition, good carbs, what are bad carbs,,,,,, what are healthy choices, etc,,,, more education on what we should eat, etc   No plan to follow, nothing except see ya in 6 weeks!!  WHAT??   She never gave me what or what portion size I should eat,,,,,, just you will feel it in your stomach when to stop.   Maybe I am making this harder then what it is,,,,,, but I expected more help with food planning,  etc .

favrow812
on 9/6/12 6:32 am - Olathe, KS
VSG on 02/20/12
Buy a food scale and weigh your portions out prior to eating, also sign up for sites like MyFitnessPal and track EVERYTHING you put into your mouth whether its good or bad you should hold yourself accountible. You can also add friends on MyFitnessPal and there are a ton of us from OH on there that provide each other support on tougher days.

There is only one success--to be able to spend your life in your own way.

melz1974
on 9/6/12 6:38 am
VSG on 07/10/12
My Nut gave me all the diets in a binder before surgery and they had sample diets in it. Now, I'll be the first to tell you I didn't necessarily follow her diet (I felt it had too many carbs for me in it). Now at the 6 week follow up she did say the exact same thing your Nut did. I'm almost 2 months out and I'm not an expert by far...but here's an example of what I'm eating (no guarantees it's "right").

Breakfast 6 am -260 cal 39g protein
1.5 scoops vanilla protein powder
4 ice cubes
8 oz water
2 tbs sugar free cappuccino mix
all blended together (tastes like a french vanilla iced cap from Tim Hortons)

Snack 9am 70 cal 7g protein
Reduced fat cheese stick from Saputo Frigo

Lunch noonish 100 calories, 15 g protein
2.5 oz grilled chicken breast
2 tsp salsa

Snack 3ish 45 calories, 4g protein
Turkey sausage snack stick

Dinner 6ish 200 calories 14g protein
2-3 oz Tbone steak
Steamed broccoli

Now that's a good day....some days I get so busy at work I forget to eat lunch...some days I put more veggies in. Just start with your protein and you won't have room for much more. Take your time eating...that's been my biggest problem. I feel so rushed sometimes (especially at work) that I scarf my lunch down and over eat.

I hope this helps you. Remember to introduce new things one at a time to see if your tummy can handle it. I was scared to try steak...but it actually went down super easy and was soooo yummy.
rhetamae
on 9/6/12 6:38 am - TX

Well, honestly you can eat whatever you want, but you can only eat like four or five bites and youre done anyway.  so if you eat your protien first that's pretty much all you will eat.  One ounce of meat equals 10 grams of protien.  You can still drink the protein shakes if you can stomach them.  They make me sick now.  Chicken breast is very hard to eat, it feel like you just swallowed concrete!  I can't eat lunch meat it makes me throw up.  I don't know why.  YOu should watch carbs but you can have a starbucks once in a  while and it won't change anything.  If you don't get the water intake in you will get very constipated!! Learned this lesson the hard way!  They told us in our classes protein protein protien and water!! its like being on the adkins diet, it really is!  i keep beef jerky (the lean kind not the fatty slim jim kind) and cheese cubes.  They go down easy and they taste good.  Chips are easy to eat, so I eat like 1/2 a taco at lunch or I have tuna and crackers.  Its really not hard, because you cannot physically over eat.  Sorry your doctor didnt bother to tell you this stuff.  You can email me if you have questions! I'm happy to answer them for you!  [email protected]

Franette C.
on 9/6/12 6:40 am - GA
VSG on 06/29/12
Stay with low calorie foods but don't count calories.  You aren't going to eat enough to hurt you.  Make smart choices.  Read lables.  Start adding gentle foods you like.  Always start with protein foods.  See how they do.  Three bites of protein and 2 of whatever you want.  Always pick the lower carb food.  If a food is over 35 carbs a serving I steer clear of it, or eat very little.  No potatoes, rice, noodles, french fries or major carbs right now.  If you just have to have a french fry, eat a couple.  Nothing is in stone.  Your tiny tummy isn't ready for nuts.  Go very easy with salad and heavy meats.  Try it slowly and see how it feels.  Yes you will know when you are full.  Eat slowly, chew plenty and wait between bites.  You will know.  Everyone is different, you will learn.  It feels like walking in the dark, as you experiment the lights come on.  It sounds like you already are aware of good carbs and bad carbs.  Sugar is not your friend anymore.  Exercise is great.  Walk and walk some more.  Calm down, experiment with portions and learn.  I hope this helps a little.  I know how you feel.
tripmom02
on 9/6/12 9:48 am - NJ
You might want to rethink that calorie counting thing, just because you can not eat enough to impact your loss RIGHT NOW, at a year out its a whole different story and being in the habit of watching what goes in your mouth NOW is a good thing to have once you can eat more.

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

pudgypants
on 9/6/12 6:41 am
I'm right there with ya!! I'm on month 4 on my "supervised weight loss" plan for insurance and let me just tell you....it is a joke in a can!! Most folks that go to my doctor get to have their 6 month with the NUT so they can work on losing and learning....not me!! I have to go through this waste of space phone call every 2.5 weeks with a "wellness coach". She has admitted she knows nothing about WLS and just goes through a checklist when she calls me. No education about post-op, no NUT advice, NOTHING! It is a complete waste of my time!! Since I do not have the NUT advantage (as it clearly is no advantage to you either), I follow these boards everyday to learn. I think I've gotten better advice/education from these boards than anywhere else. I don't take what one person says and run with it, but I do watch for trends of eating, sizes, phases, and expectations. I've tried really hard to change now so that there is not such a drastic shock in Nov/Dec when I have the surgery.
I think your weight loss is wonderful!!! Congrats!!! Just stick to the boards for the best advice on all this b/c you are in the same crappy boat that I am in and it sucks!! I was really hoping that these 6 months would have been a sturdy and strong preparation/education from professionals and instead, it's turned out to be sturdy and strong preparation/education from all of you fine folks!!!! I'm proud of you!!!!

I am going to FIRE LANE BRYANT!!!     

VSG: 12/10/12  HW: 247   SW: 226   CW: 205.6  GW: 150 

carrierae
on 9/6/12 6:56 am - WA
I am 9months out and still follow a low carb diet. I follow 40gm carbs, 64oz water and 60gm protein. I f d if I eat more carbs I don't lose...period.

Here is a link to my Dr's diet. I have seen many people here (even those who didn't use him) recommend his post op diet.

Www.northwestobesitysurgery.com/diets.HTML

Hope this helps

Carrie   HW: 334/Preop Appt W: 328/SW: 313/CW: 2  
preop: -21lbs, month 1: -28lbs, month 2: -16lbs, month 3: -18lbs, month 4: -11lbs,
month 5: -11lbs, month 6: -7lbs, ...all the way down. NOTE: after slacking I got back on track in Nov (month 12) and have lost 16lbs so far!

sheytay
on 9/7/12 5:49 pm
i checked out the diet plan you suggested...and it really explains some of the uncomfortable pressure i have been feeling....my NUT had me progressing to solid foods too soon....i think i'll back up to soft and pureed for a bit longer and see if it helps

jday305
on 9/6/12 7:48 am
I am just a week ahead of you and can still only get in 3-3.5 ounces of food per meal.  You definitely need to concentrate on protein as this will help with long-term health and weight loss. I have to get in 70 ounces of protein per day and unusually can only get in about 65 or so.  I would just concentrate at this time on the protein and maybe some non-starchy vegetables and fruit if you can.  This is what my Nut has us do in my program and I will be on what is considered soft foods for another week or so.  If you have any questions about learning more about good nutrition then enroll in a nutrition program at a local bariatric center or hospital.  I went through a ten week program before my surgery and it really helped me turn my eating habits around.  Good luck.

HW 417 SW 360 CW 251 GW 250 Height 6' 5"  Surgery on July 17, 2012

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 83 views