Back in the hospital--Hoping 3rd times the charm

jengel89
on 9/14/12 9:47 am
VSG on 08/09/12
Hey!

So let me start off with a positive.. I've down 28.2 pounds. Having said that... I'm back in the hospital again, this time I didn't have to go through the ER, yay! Unintentionaly, I'm causing myself to be dehydrated and and malnurished. I can't drink the protein shakes or eat anything without feeling violently ill. Now my drs are talking about putting in a pic line.. Has anyone had to have one?

MuttLover
on 9/14/12 10:16 am
VSG on 11/14/12
So sorry -- I did see another poster recently who had a PICC line because she was soo ill and dehydrated -- and a few days later, she reported that she was doing better.  I don't recall who it is, so I'm hoping she's back on the boards and can respond.

Sending you prayers and best wishes. 
grannymedic1
on 9/14/12 2:09 pm - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
First of all, you need (((hugs)))

You are not alone. I had surgery on 8/21 and have been in for fluids and vitimins 4 times and just had my second endoscopy for strictures on Wed. I can finally get down and keep down my protein, for the most part. I have to be very careful to not try to get much at a time or it all comes flying out. Fluids are having to be included in the protein and I'm not getting them all in but am making progress though meds are still iffy. I managed to get 2 of them in and keep them down, today. I've been told not to be surprised if we have to go at it again up to the 6 week mark.

Don't lose heart, once you are over this hump you will begin to feel better quickly. The pic line, if needed, will give your tender tummy a time to heal without having to do any hard work. Keep your chin up and keep us posted.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

HEATHER H.
on 9/14/12 7:18 pm - SC
VSG on 08/07/12
 I am a nurse in Interventional Radiology and we put in PICC lines everyday. It's not a bad procedure at all. They will use a numbing agent in your upper arm(lidocaine, like the dentist office) and it's a small poke...basically a long IV that ends up in your right ventrical. You won't have to be stuck for blood draws anymore and any medications or nutrition can be given through the PICC line. You can also go home with it if your team feels you need the access. It is H ELL getting an IV in a dehydrated person. This line will be a blessing to you. Sorry to hear you're having such a hard time. Hang in there, you'll get through this. 

Highest Weight: 270   Pre-Op Weight 267    Day of Surgery: 254.5   Current: 154             Month 1: -20lbs , Month 2 -16lbs, Month 3 -15lbs Month 4 - 10lbs, Month 5 - 11lbs;  month 6 - 9lbs; month 7 - 6lbs; month 8 - 4lbs; month 9 - 5lbs; month 10 - 1lb

jengel89
on 9/15/12 6:22 am
VSG on 08/09/12
Thanks so much for the advice. After the surgeon came in and your advice, I do feel a little less anxious about the whole thing. My right arm is more purple then when I broke it, due to all the blown IV attempts. Thanks again for the advice. I wish you the best of luck in your journey!!

HEATHER H.
on 9/18/12 6:39 am - SC
VSG on 08/07/12
You are  very welcome. I hope you get through this "crap phase" quickly and can start enjoying your new life. Keep us posted!!

Highest Weight: 270   Pre-Op Weight 267    Day of Surgery: 254.5   Current: 154             Month 1: -20lbs , Month 2 -16lbs, Month 3 -15lbs Month 4 - 10lbs, Month 5 - 11lbs;  month 6 - 9lbs; month 7 - 6lbs; month 8 - 4lbs; month 9 - 5lbs; month 10 - 1lb

Junebug175
on 9/14/12 10:51 pm
I'm so sorry. I didn't have to have a PICC line but was hospitalized twice after my surgery due to severe nausea and dehydration. I hope you feel better soon. Once you can get that fluid and protein in it makes a world of difference. But...it's a vicious cycle when dealing with nausea. My dr sent me home with anxiety meds as well and they helped out a lot. Because even when I felt a little better I was terrified I was going to get sick again.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 400 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 427 views