rANTING AND RAVING aTTENTION cARB pOpO!

theshrinkingmimi
on 9/15/12 11:00 am
I say post whatever you want. How you react to others is up to you. Personally, I choose a stress free approach to this forum.
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
(deactivated member)
on 9/15/12 11:26 am
Escape_Pod
on 9/15/12 6:54 pm
I've seen some pretty adamant responses to people's food choices, but I try to take them in the spirit they were intended - warnings to those of us who are wandering into dangerous territory (from someone's perspective, based on their personal experience).  Let's be frank here, not everyone experiences raging success with the sleeve.  Some stop losing earlier than they'd hoped, some never make it to goal, some struggle with regain, sometimes substantial.  In my own heart, I suspect that happens because those people don't make a successful transition to new eating and living habits.  So many of us have a history with abusing food in some way, and many of us will always be at risk of those bad habits creeping back in.  I think it comes down to a question of where your own danger zone is.
In the early months I could eat something high in sugar or carbs, not see much of an impact, and jump right back on plan the next day.  Now at 14 months post-op, not so much. I'm still figuring out what my trigger foods are, what I can have in the house or close at hand, and what I'll get into trouble with.  I can get off track for several days in a row and see my weight climb, and spend the next two weeks fighting to get back on track and back to the weight I was before that cookie "in moderation".  Yes, that's me, and may not be your experience at all.   I don't judge people eating at McDonald's or snacking on popcorn, or enjoying frozen yogurt.  I kind of wish I could be one of them, but I'm resigning myself to the fact that I'm just not, and I want to keep my weight off more than I want to be able to eat anything and everything in moderation.  It doesn't hurt me to hear a word of warning now and then that I'm playing with fire.  Sure, it's best if that word of warning is worded without judgment, or a smug sense of superiority.  But I remind myself that I don't actually know those people, and I may not be reading their posts entirely in the spirit they were intended.  And they may not be intending them in the way they're coming acoss.

Oddly enough, I generally find this forum far less judgmental than another I participate in, one I refer to as the "food nazi" forum to my husband as shorthand.  Sure, those people mean well too, and many of them are shouting those warnings based on personal, painful experience of regain, and a hard fight back to the weight they're at.  But I sure learned not to post reviews about things like low-carb, high-protein tasty crackers, at least not without expecting someone to come along within 10 minutes and post about why they'd never eat such a thing.

It takes all kinds ...  and for some of us, these dire warnings may not be an entirely bad idea.  But like you, I tend to rankle when I feel like someone's acting as my food parent. 

5'8"    Highest Weight: 245   Goal Weight (Surgeon): 154   Stretch Goal: 140

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 129 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 383 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 418 views