rANTING AND RAVING aTTENTION cARB pOpO!

bagelface
on 9/15/12 4:24 pm
VSG on 08/22/12
On September 15, 2012 at 3:37 PM Pacific Time, happyteacher wrote:
On September 15, 2012 at 6:08 AM Pacific Time, sleevegirl wrote:
Amen and pass the gummy bears. Eh, I will admit that I eat low carb the vast majority of the time because it keeps my snack monster away, but that's for ME and MY snack monster. If someone comes on looking for things they can cut because they aren't losing, I usually do tell them to check their carbs because for some people it matters.

For some it doesn't.

I always say that I eat 100% on MY plan, which means that I don't let a piece of cheesecake or, god forbid, popcorn derail me.

Honestly, some folks around here really are nuts with it. Frisco and Elina aren't those people because if you read their stuff you'll know they will tell you "this worked for me and a lot of other people, but some folks need other things, so try it if you want". They do push that plan because they know it works for them and their people, but I have yet to see them ram it down someone's throat.

But I've seen a few folks get REALLY far out of line lately beating up on people that make a poor choice or just eat differently than they are "supposed" to. It's sad, really. I think we all have our own journey and what works for me might not work for you.

Gummy bears, popcorn and cheesecake be damned.
 I guess I agree that they do not "ram" it down somebodies throat- but there is a lot of pressure to follow it just the same.  When I first posted about adding in carbs I got specific comments from them like "you will stop losing", "you may be o****il the 4th or 5th month then stop losing", and flat out saying I would never make it to goal.  By the end of the 4th month posts started getting snippy saying I would stop losing in month 4.  I did well, so then the posts changed saying I would stop losing in month 5.  I did well.  Then the posts were that once I was through the honeymoon period I woul stop losing.  I did well.  Then the posts were how hard the last 20 is to lose and that I would never make goal.  They weren't and I did just fine.  Then the posts are maintence is so much harder, and you will regain.  Ok.  Point taken.  Because at the end of they day I will never be as far out as they are, so it will always be something that is thrown at me to try to bring me down.  

If that crap bothers you just block them.  Personally, I take what I can learn from it and leave the rest.  I don't think they are bad people at all- I think the smoker analogy mentioned earlier is a perfect fit.  I used to be a smoker and had a brief period where I was like that.  Woke up one day and realized it, and never took that path again.  So, I get it.  I sincerely want everybody here to be succusfull, healthy, and happy.  
 The science is that carbs are part of a healthy diet.  It sounds to me like your way was the best for your body and health.  It's also nice to actually have the energy to exercise.  
PrettyEyes_41
on 9/15/12 6:40 am - MS
VSG on 06/12/12
Ditto and ditto. I understand both sides of the fence. We are all in this journey for different reasons - each of those reasons are ours and ours alone. I gained weight because of many different reasons - divorce, hysterectomy, job stress, lack of exercise, portions sizes, lack of knowledge of proper diet, etc., etc., etc.. I don't expect anyone here to be exactly like me because no one else has walked in my shoes day in and day out for 54 years. There is no diet that will fit every single person. With that being said we all have to start with a basic plan and then mold our plans to fit each of us with our individual tastes, likes, dislikes and physical and emotional attributes. That is where the differences occur, during the molding process. I think some people are trying too hard sometimes to be helpful in that the basic plan should be a starting point and not always the end all and be all for each and every person. For those that the basic plan helps - fantastic! For those who take the basic plan and tweak it and mold it to fit their individual selves and that works also - fantastic! This journey has many different roads, just as the road has many different individuals taking it. BRAVO to everyone on this journey!!!  (OK I've stepped down off my soapbox now.)

Gale     Age: 55, Height: 5' 5.5", HW: 236, SW: 210, 1st GW: 150.  Surgery BMI: 39.3  Extremely HBP, High Cholesterol & borderline diabetic.      

SleevedLife
on 9/15/12 12:13 am, edited 9/15/12 12:16 am
 This thread is obviously cathartic for many!  

I read a couple of other sleeve forums, and the culture on this one is certainly unique. It is a lot more militant, more anti-carb, and just a little less forgiving of perceived slip-ups.  Now, that is just the dominant culture.  There are plenty of people here who do not fit that description.  

I believe we all have different points of diminishing returns when it comes to carb restriction.  For some, the only way to lose weight is to reduce them almost to the point of elimination.  They are sometimes extremely vocal in being anti carb because in there limited (but powerful and compelling) experience that is the only thing that works.  Many of u**** the point of diminishing returns waaaay before that level of severe restriction. We can make a choice to eat more carbs - maybe seeing a great deal more pleasure in our food and more freedom trading off for only marginally less weight loss.

Everyone has interesting and valid perspectives.  But... Yeah, if I disclosed how much popcorn I eat on a regular basis, I just might reduced to tears.  ;) The very strict culture here is actually  good for me personally, it really helps me to keep my head in the game and thinking about my food.  I definitely don't like people feeling attacked, but I think the "attackers" truly believe in what they are saying and want the best sleeve outcome for everyone.  They want the sleeve to be a success, they believe in it.  They want it to replace the RNY was the surgery of choice, and may feel that all of us "pioneers" owe it to the bariatric community to really work hard to do our best.  I get that.

There are other forums you might want to check out that are much more laid back...  Unfortunately none are As active as this one   

Sorry for any odd typos or auto corrects. I'm on my phone typing this!

Nutshell:

Lost 140 lbs with VSG. (Hooray!!)

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

regained 40 lbs.   (grrrr!)

In summary: Alive & Grateful.   

imkristy1
on 9/15/12 7:30 am - WI
VSG on 02/13/12
I just have to add my 2 cents worth... and will start by saying that I think this post was a long time comin! I have chosen to eat very low carb and it has worked for me... up until now... I havent lost anything for over 4 weeks now. I know that Im very close to my goal, but Im really thinking I need to switch some stuff up and Im going to start with upping my carbs and if that doesnt work, then I think I'll up my calories. I really agree with all of you by saying that this is a very personal journey and we all need to do whats best for ourselves and beating someone up instead of "helping" them is insane!

Kristy  5'5"  HW-224   SW-207    GW-140   Goal reached in 40 weeks!  PRE-OP - 17    MTH 1 - 15   MTH 2 - 13    MTH 3 - 12   MTH 4 8    MTH 5 -  5    MTH 6 - 4   MTH 7 - MTH 8 -MTH 9 - 0  MTH 10 - 0

NanaDebby65
on 9/15/12 7:37 am - North Richland Hills, TX

First and foremost I have to say, congrats to you for finding what works for YOU!! Your WL has been amazing!! You have rocked your sleeve!!

I was/am one of those who marched to the beat of a different drum. I was not low carb but the carbs I did eat were dairy, veggies and whole grains. I did try to restrict the carbs to below 60 a day. It worked for ME.

Did I ever have an off day? Absolutely!! I am a binge eater (as a lot of us are). I had to learn how to deal with that monster so I would not go off plan for days on end. I do not tell myself I will never have XXX again. My resolution is a planned binge. I do not keep trigger foods in my house so when I plan my binge I actually have to go out and buy it. I buy the smallest portion I can find then bring it home and demoli****

I no longer have guilt over ANYTHING I eat. It is my choice as to what I put in my mouth so why feel guilty. It just depresses me and then I want to stuff my face with more.

As it has been pointed out before, I was a lightweight so it was easier for me to lose the weight. Ok, whatever!! I still have to be accountable for everything I eat and since my plan worked for me then kudos to me.

I am a firm believer in doing what works for YOU. If you stop losing and start floundering, then re-think your plan. But it seems like you got this, so keep doing what works!!

HW: 228/GW: 140/CW: 134    
furrynana
on 9/15/12 8:26 am
Thank you for posting this!!  I'm almost two months out and come here because I can find really good information and advice.  But, if I was really stuggling, I don't think I would post it because of a few of the members who are really more oppressive than supportive.  I think it goes beyond carbs too.  Maybe they'll get the message from your post and the response.  I chose this route because I wanted to be able to eat normal foods with a tool to help with portion control.  That's what I got and couldn't be happier.  
getmylifeback12
on 9/16/12 2:46 am - NY
Love, love, love Nana Debbie post. It could have been mine. Can I just throw in another prospective? Maybe, the critical vets on here....(NOT ALL THE VETS mind you) are just the kids on the playground that used to get picked on....or the high school students that didnt have dates because they were fat, and on this forum they are the "popular" kids and it gives them a confidence they never had, and they are getting attention and admiration they never had. I read a post on here that called them VSG Royalty and I thought it was hilarious.  Im not judging...I was the "Fat kid" and now Im not, I know how it can go to your head. As far as the carb thing goes.....well, lets just say I would probably get BLASTED by the Royals! I have lost 110 punds in 7 months. I love my fresh fruits and veggies and I am addicted to wheat thins and triscuts. I just count them out instead of sitting with a box on my lap!
sledge
on 9/15/12 9:08 am
 I am glad you found what works for you!   I think I read 90% of the posts on this forum daily--it helps me.   All of them do.

I will, however admit, that I rarely see anyone tell anyone what to do or what to eat unless they invite others to  comment on their menu or to share how they lost so much weight so fast....

I appreciate all of the perspectives, experiences, and sharing.   I appreciate the folks who are very strict and those that are not.   I try to learn from everyone and to figure out what is best for me.   I very much learn from the people who are brave enough to share they they went off plan and what the repurcussions (if any) of that decision was.

My goal is to lose weight...as quickly as possible and to change my head around this destructive eating pattern I developed over the years.     So far, I am followng the 90 gm protein, 600 cal and very low carb plan....it seems to work for me so far and is also helping me not crave carbs so a win for me at this point.  For now it is best for me.

As a last note....I think anytime we label anyone as "royalty" or whatever in a derogatory fashion, it does not help but might hurt....so what is the point?

HW: 406; Cons W: 348; start of pre op diet:320; Surgery Weight: 299; CW: 218;
Surgery 8/21/12

Here I come, Life.

Emilyr0011
on 9/15/12 9:44 am
This is a very well written, thoughtful, respectful post.

H - 5'4" SW 260 / CW 133 / GW 150 GOAL in 9 mo 11 days!

edelu
on 9/15/12 12:21 pm - los angeles, CA
If you rarely see anyone tell anyone what to do and in a patronizing manner then you just haven't been on here long enough. It happens but it seems less often now than it used to and the fact that the prevailing wisdom works for you and you do not have to search outside of that for something that works, is great.  It's not everyone's story but there are those on here that believe it is the only story.

The POINT of labeling someone as Royalty who you have had no interaction with but who decided to block you on a public forum, for some perceived slight, not directed at you but at your philosophy, is high handed and calling them Royalty is known as taking a swipe and that is human.

It's a great forum but who is anyone here except a person who lost weight.  some a lot and quickly, some not so quickly but the important thing is they found the way for them.  The fact that they feel they can't share that sucks.   

There are no absolute answers.  There are those on here that say "This plan works because I lost lots of weight", okay. But  I know for a fact having been on here for awhile that others (including myself) use the same fail safe with less stellar results and more effort, so please, there are no magic bullets.  If you were lucky enough to find what works for you, share it but don't denigrate another's effort because it's different than yours.   Democracy in progress.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 129 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 383 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 418 views