A little discouraged today

grannymedic1
on 9/22/12 10:39 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
I revised from band to sleeve on 8/21/12. I have had a very rough time and thought it was pretty much over. Apparently not. I have been in 5 times for IV fluids and have had 2 endoscopies to dilate strictures. My last one was 10 days ago and I had done well until yesterday. Now it looks as if I am dealing with another one. I have been on primarily fluids, anyway, with some purees and protein puffs. Yesterday nothing stayed down except my shakes and today I have been unable to get even thin hot cereal down and what did go in came right back.
I have tried some soft foods but so far none of that works but can usually tolerate a couple of tablespoons of refried beans if I am careful but not now.

My surgeon warned me that it is not unheard of to have more than one stricture but that at the 6 week mark he can make the opening the correct size, permanently. Unfortunately I still have at least 10 days before he can do that and I am not going to be able to hang on that long. It isn't as if I am not willing to get my protein from shakes and soups but my meds are another matter. I got one down this morning but that was it and i need to get more than that one in. I still haven't been able to do a multi vit. or calcium, either.

I know I will love this sleeve as much as I did my band, after this is all over, but today I am kind of blue. And it is cold and rainy. EWWW.....

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

slimpickins5280
on 9/22/12 10:54 am - CO
Sorry you're struggling granny. I've heard the revisions can be tough.

Hang in there.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

Debbie R.
on 9/22/12 11:02 am - Cedar Hill, TX
VSG on 02/27/12

So sorry you're having such a rough time!
Can you crush your meds or they won't stay down?
Just wanted to ask also if you tried any isopure protein? It's clear & more easy to tolerate than a regular protein shake? Take care &sounds like a good day for blankie & pillow on the couch with some funny movies! Feel better soon!

Italian-Princess
on 9/22/12 11:10 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
Hi Grannymedic

I'm sorry to hear you're having such a bad time of it.  Did you ask your surgeon about dealing with your meds?  Maybe crushing them or cutting them in half might work???  As for your vitamins and calcium, do you have pills to swallow or are yours chewable?  Chewables shouldn't be a problem to take.

Yes, this will get better and you'll be thrilled with your sleeve -- for now, it must be very frustrating to have all these problems.  I wish I could give you some advice, but I'm not a doctor.

Those cold and rainy days are some of my favorites in early Autumn -- a good excuse to curl up with a soft, comfy blankie, a warm drink, and a good book...........a great recipe for a NAP!!!

Sending you hugs for some peace and comfort while you wait to get your sleeve working as it should.

Take care

Ree
grannymedic1
on 9/23/12 5:45 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
My vitimins and calcium are chewables but right now they just aren't working. I tried to crush a couple of my meds and boy did they fly right back out! I just try to get my most important ones in first. Prilosec is very iffy because it is just a hair too big.

red42897
on 9/22/12 12:47 pm
VSG on 08/20/12
 Granny so sorry you are doing poorly.  I am also from West Michigan!  Who did your surgery? Prayers for you to get better. You had surgery the day after me.  Hey WAIT!  I think I may have seen you walking the halls this just dawned on me.  Blodgett?!!

HW:280 SW: 259 CW: 181.2

grannymedic1
on 9/23/12 5:49 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
Dr. Baker did mine. You are probably right about seeing me in the halls at Blodgett. They were super. I had so much swelling it looked like a complete obstruction on my UGI so I was miserable but I did try to keep walking.

It was a little confusing for some, seeing someone not obese in a bariatric unit but I was not far from my original goal when I went in and am now well under. At my age that isn't good. The dietician didn't know what to do with me, at first!

I am from Lake Odessa, how about you?
Sue

melly37
on 9/22/12 5:04 pm - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
 So sorry to hear you are having a rough time of it!  Hugs!

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

reneemosley
on 9/22/12 9:38 pm - WA
VSG on 05/21/12
There are liquid or powder forms of vitamins and calcium and I'm sure meds too. My tummy feels better when I drink warm things. Try Unjury chicken soup protein. Get better. Feel better. This will all be behind you soon. Hugs.

Band 5/2006          Revision to VSG 5/2012

grannymedic1
on 9/23/12 5:55 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
Thank you, everyone, for your kindness and support. I feel much better this morning. I have gotten my attitude adjusted and the sun is out.  I am normally a pretty positive person but this past few weeks have gotten the best of me several times. After my band I was practically leaping tall buildings by day 7 so I expected that this would be a slow 3 week recuperation but then back to normal. Silly woman.

I am set to call the surgeon in the morning and get direction from there. My hubbie said last night that we would do whatever we needed and that settled it for me, too.

Thanks again, Sue

Most Active