scared...not so good news

nvr2l82strt
on 9/24/12 7:28 pm - puyallup, WA
 I was just diagnosed with Diabetes type 2 on Thursday. I started my 6mo supervised diet in May of this year.....My dietitian said I didnt have to diet but just practice small things like chewing to baby food consistency, put my utencil down between bites, dont drink water during my meals etc.....I took it as a free pass and ate all I thought I wouldnt be able to eat later on. Needless to say I was 290 lbs when I started my pre-op appts in May and now I am 340 Lbs. According to my doc this weight gain did it and started my diabetes. NOW IM SCARED AND WORRIED THAT MY INSURANCE WONT CONSIDER ME WORTHY OF THIS SURGERY AND DENY ME. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME .....DO YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE FOR ME OR HAS ANYONE GONE THRU THIS?

Thank you in advance....all your help is appreciated.
Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 9/24/12 7:50 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
All the more reason to approve you I would think. Diabetes is a co morbidity of obesity and a reason to have surgery. Check with your insurance but hard to imagine they won't approve!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

nvr2l82strt
on 9/24/12 8:08 pm - puyallup, WA
 Thx for the advice.
MaryContrary80
on 9/24/12 10:22 pm
VSG on 09/04/12
 Don't worry, it shouldn't impact your approval. Hopeful you get sleeved soon, and you can put this behind you. Good luck! 
Italian-Princess
on 9/24/12 11:01 pm - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
Hi Nvr 

WOW -- gaining 50 pounds in 4 months............that must have been quite a food funeral.  Did you have no counseling regarding what to expect from being sleeved?  Did no one tell you that you didn't have to "bury" food?  There will come a time that you will be able to eat ALL the foods you'd like to have.......just in very small quantities on an infrequent basis and that shouldn't happen until well after your losing phase and into your maintenance phase. 

My initial thoughts when I first read your post is that you've possibly opened yourself up to some harsh comments in responses to you.  I know I was stunned.......but I don't know you, don't know your issues with food and we all have our specific problems.  What I think you have to do is to think about WHY you felt you needed to eat so much that you gained an incredible amount of weight in a very short time.   The hardest part of this journey is NOT about eating to sustain ourselves, but to learn WHY we got where we needed the surgery in the first place.  It's imperative that you start that process -- either alone with careful examination of your actions or with professional counseling

When you saw your doctor and he told you that the weight gain triggered your Diabetes, did he have any thoughts on how it would affect your approval for surgery?   I'm sure he's had other patients who gained during the pre-op phase and should have some idea to guide you.  Now that you have the comorbidity of Diabetes, I would think that would help rather than hinder your chances of approval.  Do you have other comorbs?? 

You have 2 more months to work with for your 6 months supervised diet.  May I STRONGLY suggest that you use this time to truly DIET -- and by that I mean to start working a plan that mimics the plan your surgeon/nutritionist will give you when you get your sleeve.  If they won't give it to you, demand it.  If that doesn't work, here's what my plan is........ignore it, or try to use it to your advantage:

Eat 600-800 calories a day
Eat no more than 40 grams of carbs per day
Eat at least 60 grams of protein -- preferably 80 grams
Drink a MINIMUM of 64 ounces of fluids per day -- the more, the better -- and try to make i****er!

Weigh and measure EVERY bit of food and drink that you consume.
Log your intake on a tracker -- many on OH use MyFitnessPal -- it's GREAT  If you want to join and want to friend me there, I am Justme72847.
Exercise at least 30 minutes a day -- try to do 45-60 minutes at least 3 times a week.  MOVE MOVE MOVE your body.  Stand instead of sit, walk instead of standing, etc.

I didn't have a pre-op diet, but I made one up for myself based on the above and I detoxed from carbs that way.  The first couple of days were a little dicey, but SOOOOOO worth it.  I didn't have to deal with the detox post-op.

If you can do this...........and you SHOULD for you own benefit........you'll lessen the chances of having a laparoscopic surgery turn into an open surgery.

I'm certainly not a vet -- almost 3 months out, but I've had a bit of success so far -- 45 pounds lost and over 30 inches..........all of it post-op.  I'm off all my meds except for one pill a day for GERD.  I know that the plan I defined above works........it works for ME and it works for many on OH.  It certainly isn't the only way that works, but since I have only my own experience, that's what I'm suggesting you try.

If you have something you want to discuss privately, feel free to PM me here and I'll do everything I can to help you.  You also have to want to help yourself, of course, but I'll be here for you if you choose to avail yourself of that.

Good luck.........

Ree

Jls8877
on 9/24/12 11:55 pm
 I strongly agree with the above poster. Get yourself together and come up with a plan. Stick to it. Your life DOES depend on it.
rhearob
on 9/25/12 12:36 am - TN

This will actually HELP your case for surgery.  Most insurance companies consider the co-morbidities a reason to approve the surgery.  For them its a business case - pay once for surgery or pay a lifetime of expensive Diabetes meds, complications, etc.  

I had DM Type 2 prior to surgery.  In the 11 months prior to surgery I spent over 7K on meds - just in co-pays.  Insurance had to pay all the rest.  They didn't even blink at the surgery bill.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

acbbrown
on 9/25/12 1:43 am - Granada Hills, CA
Have I gained 50 lbs in a short period of time? Yep. Wasn't before surgery but ive been there. I was litterally self medicating with food. And that's when I was already 350+ lbs so my daily intake had to be astronomical.

You need to get a grip. 50 lbs is more than eating a few foods that you thought youd never be able to eat again. I dont think it's a reason to consider you "unworthy" of surgery - you obviously need a tool - but i'll tell you, being more than 15 months out - the sleeve is a relatively small part of the equation to getting to goal and maintaining. The sleeve by itself wont get you there - it has to be used with many other tools - tools that you will have to provide.

First - you need to make your health an absolute priority right now and get the diabetes under control. You need to be healthy before you consider having surgery.

Second - if you can get into therapy, I recommend it. I know it's something I need to do, and I'm already over a year out. This process only gets harder the further out you get from surgery so deal with the issues NOW.

Third - dont go on an extreme diet. Research and learn about proper nutrition - learn about what your body needs to function and learn about what kinds of foods are going to provide that. Knowledge is power. Identify the reasons why you think you gained the weight - start with baby steps - cut out fast food, reduce the # of times you are eating out, cut out candy/sodas, etc. Watch your portion sizes - eat mindfully. Start adding healthy fruits/veggies/lean proteins. Start building life style habits you can sustain for the long run. If you start making those changes, you will probably see some weight loss. But the priority is getting in control of your intake.

And then - try exercising. Move. The healthier/stronger your body is before surgery, the less likely you are to have complications from the surgery itself.

I lost 85 lbs from the day I even considered WLS. I'm not saying it was easy, or typical, or that you should do the same - but mentally for me, I was terrified of any surgery, and I really wanted to do everything in power to avoid/reduce my risk for complications. But I also knew for me, before I did something so drastic - I needed to know I was serious about changing my life. And it took me every single day the year before, and all 85 lbs, to convince myself to go ahead with this surgery.

You need to find your "thing" - something that you want more than food, something that will push you and motivate you to change your life. Only you can decide what that is - but clearly, you can see that your choices now have led to some serious health consequences. This is a great place to get support - feel free to PM me anytime if you want advice/support or just to vent. I get it - this is a difficult time, but you can get through it and change directions now.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

christinahelena
on 9/25/12 5:19 am, edited 9/25/12 5:25 am - CA
I'm going out on a limb here, I have type 2 so from the comorbidity standpoint it will help with approval but from the standpoint you are in your 6 mos preop
Stage and gaining versus maintaining or losing, they could deny and have you start over. Call and ask someone do you can start over now with two months remaining versus wait two months and then start. No drastic diet just
Low carb it, protein first and start walking. Ask the surgeons office who does approvals what their experience has been I cases like this. Don't beat yourself up, just begin again. Diabetes meds will likely help with appetite and they may be able to make a case for the gain. Because you just got diabetes, your insulin system broke, and insulin tells your body to store fat...also increases hunger and cravings.
You can do this and the surgery will likely get you out from under it. Tell yourself, you can eat anything you want it you CHOOSe to eat healthier.
Get some counseling around the panic mode regarding the l
christinahelena
on 9/25/12 5:20 am, edited 9/25/12 5:22 am - CA
OoPs continued, around the loss of food as friend mode a d a dietician and endocrinologist to help manage the diabetes. You can do this, you really can.
Hugs
Christina
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 65 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 248 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 315 views