Calcium Citrate 600mg with Vitamin D Question

JodiLynn80
on 9/26/12 7:09 am - Whitehall, PA
VSG on 10/15/12
My bariatric surgeon and hospital program have asked me to start Calcium Citrate w/Vitamin D (1200mg a day 1-2 weeks before surgery along with my multi- vitamin and vitamin C.)

I have noticed that Calcium Citrate either has 600mg on the bottle (2 a day) and no vitamin D OR w/Vitamin D and doesn't have enough calcium citrate mg.

The one with vitamin D would require me to cut up these pills into 1/4 or smaller....the best one I could find is the Citracal w/ Vit D but it's 630mg a tablet so I would be exceeding 1200mg when taken 2x a day.
Help Please...LoL...I'm sure it wouldn't kill me to exceed 1200mg but I want to be sure.

Jodi
Whitehall, PA

(deactivated member)
on 9/26/12 7:29 am - Canada
VSG on 08/16/13
 why don't you get the 600mg and just get a seperate bottle of vitamin d?  like a liquid form, which is awesome.

or you could take 630mg, im pretty sure 60mg extra isn't a big deal (if you want to have them combined in one pill)
JodiLynn80
on 9/26/12 7:41 am - Whitehall, PA
VSG on 10/15/12
i guess i could do that...
Maybe I just assumed there was something out there exact without having to buy separate bottles of pills. I also saw the Citrical "petites" so I'm not swallowing a horse pill.

Jodi
Whitehall, PA

Antimony40
on 9/26/12 7:52 am - VA
VSG on 12/06/12 with
If you have CVS where you live, I saw Cirtrical Pettites on sale B1G1 half off...this week.
Crabadams72
on 9/26/12 8:15 am - Silver Spring, MD
The petites are small but kinda thick. They do the trick though
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

Jenfur
on 9/26/12 9:02 am
VSG on 06/25/12
I just saw my NUT yesterday for my 3 month post op and she said the goal is at least 1500 a day for the calcium and for me to get 1200 of that from the pills and the rest from cheese and yogurt that I eat alot.  You should be fine with 1260.

emelar
on 9/26/12 9:26 am - TX
You have to take the calcium in doses separated by at least 2 hours, no more than 500mg per dose.  That's all the body can absorb at one time.  So most of us are taking calcium 2 to 3 times a day, staggered throughout the day.

If you need iron, iron has to be taken separately from calcium or calcium-rich foods.  Iron and calcium enter the bloodstream on the same receptors, and the calcium will usually win the fight!
lisa2job
on 9/26/12 9:29 am - WA
VSG on 09/06/12
My surgeon suggested thes chewable Calcuim from Costco ,  they taste like tootsie rolls yummy !!!  I have to take two a day but who wouldnt want tooo.  lol    I also got a vitamin D from there that you put under your tongue and it disolves.   I take two a week of that one

Calking
on 9/26/12 12:53 pm
VSG on 05/31/12
Don't worry about breaking 1200mg.  To be honest I think most people are shooting for 1500mg.  The only thing that you didn't mention but this is something to keep in mind ... make sure you are getting calcium citrate and not calcium carbonate.  This point is extremely important.  Calcium carbonate is poorly absorbed whereas calcium citrate gets utilized much better by your body.

Also as mentioned you don't want to take that much all at one time.  After surgery the other thing that will be extremely important is that this is in the chewable form.  Don't get tablets or caplets or anything that can't be chewed and absorbed quickly.  Other than chewable you can get powders and liquids that would also work.  Some nutritionists or surgeons say the chewable format is for life while some say to use that format for the first 6 months or so.  Either way even if you surgeon recommends this only for the first 6 months ... the chewable, powder, or liquid forms would be considered a better means for quicker absorbtion and therefore I would think if you have found something that is working for whatever period of time the surgeon or nutritionist suggests you should continue beyond that point.

Just my thoughts on this.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 85 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 298 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 346 views